• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not technically my first, but...

ffemt1079

imported post

I've been OCing around the neighborhood while walking my dog, or taking my children for a walk. The only thing that's happened with that was a nice stare and double take from a county parks worker driving past me.

Today I have finally OCd in a store...Sentry on national and cleveland avenues, near 108th st. in West Allis. Nothing happened. Granted, I was in the store less than 5 minutes, but hey-I'm proud of myself.

I'm glad to have joined WI Carry, and be a part of OCDO.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Excellent! It certainly is daunting the first few times when you don't know what to expect! I open carry all the time and trust me it still is difficult when I go places I haven't been to before. Onward we go one and all!;)

ffemt1079

imported post

I think its better that my wife is pretty much used to it again. When I got home from a year in Baghdad, I didnt feel comfortable unless I had a firearm or fighting knife with me. As soon as I walked in my door the sidearm was on my hip. when i went to bed, my Kay-Bar was under the pillow. Otherwise I had my Swedish bayonet. Did that for a little over a year. Finally cooled down a little. Now, almost five years later, I am finally getting into OC, and feel "at home" again with my sidearm on my person again. Welcome back home sweety, it feels nice to have you with me again...

Carry: Beretta Model 96 .40 Cal

Home: a few others and some combat knives :cool:

hardballer

imported post

Congratulations! It is a daunting proposition the first time you open carry. I was very apprehensive. I didn't know about this site or the brothers and sisters I have found here and boy am I glad I did happen on OCDO. What a great bunch of people. Hope to meet you at a get together in the future and look forward to your future postings.

Hardballer

jpm84092

imported post

Congratulations on your lawful exercise of the 2nd Amendment. I was born and raised in Wisconsin. Before my recent move to Utah, my first public open carry in WI was about 2 years ago at my favorite eatery in Mukwonago. I don't think anyone noticed that 4 of us had sidearms. The next day, about 10 of us had an open carry picnic at the East Troy Airport. (Not a Federal Airport - no sterile zone). The cops who regularly patrol made sure to wave. One wanted to see what everyone had.

These days, I carry concealed in Utah (with permit). Typically, my carry of choice is a Springfield Model 1911 Ultra Compact in .45 ACP. :)

I wish all the Citizens of the State I was born and raised in (Wisconsin) the best of luck in using every lawful means to compel the State of Wisconsin to recognize the right of its' Citizens to take responsibility for their own defense. And, when Dictator Doyle is finally gone, write to your legislators and get a concealed carry bill introduced. Come election time, let the candidates know that your vote and your contributions go to the 2nd Amendment candidate.

Concealed carry works! In Utah, the typical victim of a violent crime is a felon. The bad guys do not go after normal citizens as they know it could cost them their lives. And, since my permit will be taken if I am in any kind of domestic scuffle, domestic disputes are very rare in concealed carry States and tend to be among those with no permit to lose. :exclaim:

I am proud to live up to my responsibility as a sheep-dog and await the day the wolf shows up to do harm to me or to the sheep I protect. I carry a weapon because carrying a cop is just too much work.

Gun control is a good thing. It is best achieved by going to the range and making sure you can control your gun and hit what you are aiming at in exactly the place you were aiming for. That is Gun Contol.:D

ffemt1079

imported post

Another successful OC. This time was the Sendik's in Greenfield on Layton Ave in about the 8000 block. Place was pretty busy. No one said anything, a few people noticed. The only thing I heard in the store was a boy telling his mom "ooooooooh, that guy has a gun!"

As we (went with the wife and kids) got into the car, I said another good open carry. My wife doesn't really understand carrying into store, but she is ok with it on walks. She was surprised and a little miffed as she worries about me "starting trouble." I told her that she didnt even notice and she was with me the whole time....that calmed her down.

We went to Home Depot last week and OC'd while she was with me. She saw me holster the pistol and said the magical words...."you don't even have a permit." She was informed, again, about WI law, or lack thereof.

All in all, another good day of OC.

-Matt

Jason in WI

imported post

ffemt1079 wrote:
As we (went with the wife and kids) got into the car, I said another good open carry. My wife doesn't really understand carrying into store, but she is ok with it on walks. She was surprised and a little miffed as she worries about me "starting trouble." I told her that she didnt even notice and she was with me the whole time....that calmed her down.
My girlfriend and I stopped at Walmart on 27th in Franklin, Farm&Fleet on Rawson and kohl's in Oak Creek today. We started out at Walmart and she was very apprehensive but a quarter of the way through she was just fine and even extended :( our shopping. We had to interact with an employee and we must have had to pass about a dozen and nobody said anything. At Farm & Fleet she didn't even hesitate. She was a bit worried about Kohl's but it turned out to be uneventful. I will admit that being together might have something to do with it. If I shopped by my self people might be more suspicious of my intent I think. My girlfreind has realized that most people don't notice. Fact is I might pass you carrying because I too don't check out everybody's waist while shopping.

On a side note, Walmart and Farm&fleet both have a good stock of 9mm. For the past couple weeks ammo buying I haven't seen any.

ffemt1079

imported post

I agree about shopping with someone. My wife goes to school during the day and works in the evenings. So, any shopping I do, I usually have one or both of my kids with me. The son is one, my daughter is four.