• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HD shotty help

FatboyCykes

imported post

I know this is just asking for trouble, but here I am, kind of at a cross road.

Here are my current prospects...keep in mind that I have no intention of hunting, this is strictly home defense.

A used Remington 870 7+1 with a sling for 335 out the door.

-or-

A new Mossy 500 5+1 with a heat shield...244 out the door.

Both are 18 1/2 bbl, black synth stock at first the answer is pretty clear to me to go for the Mossy, however, something about the Rem just feels....nice. It's almost 100 bones more and used, but I really like the 7+1 although, I'll probably never need that many shots for HD, lest the SHTF, but man, I like the option and the look(far less important I know).

Main problem is I have to make the decision by tomorree, so any advice is appreciated, thanks folks :)

WARCHILD

imported post

JMO: I have had multiples of both (mostly through trading) and I would take the 870 no question. It's still the best pump in the world as far as I have experienced. In fact I'm in the process of getting another one at tax time.

This is my baby...

FatboyCykes

imported post

Like I said, that's where I'm leaning. I'm typically very....cheap, I try to get the best bang for my buck and I think that the Mossy fits that bill here, especially being new vs. used, but for some reason....I really dig the Rem, even though I'm a lefty and the safety of the Rem vs. the safety of the Mossy, I don't like the Rem, but other than that, I think I'm going to get the more expensive used gun :(

WARCHILD

imported post

As usual it's always about personal preference. I've always liked the 870 better but the Mosy is no slouch either. Which ever one you get, I hope it works out for you.
My next 870 is the short "riot" version, that will be my new "bedside" answer.:D

manicdevery

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
As usual it's always about personal preference. I've always liked the 870 better but the Mosy is no slouch either. Which ever one you get, I hope it works out for you.
My next 870 is the short "riot" version, that will be my new "bedside" answer.:D
my friend tyler has been talking about a pistol grip shotgun for a while now. He wants me to go to the next gun show, i think he plans on making me help him shoot it :( ...........:D

lapeer20m

imported post

the mossberg 500 is used by the military.....what does the military require... at least 10K rounds with zero ftf/fte?

i'm not opposed to the rem, but i think mossy's are great guns too.

i have a hd mossy 500, but in practicing clearing the house, i noticed a problem. With a shotgun, you have to keep both hands on the gun, making it more difficult to open doors, use your cell phone to call 911 etc.

one advantage of a shotty is the sound it makes is a universal language...it doesn't matter if the bg speaks english or not, he understands what "click click" means. The shotgun is possibly the best hd gun that you may never have to actually shoot.

malignity

imported post

Mossberg 500. Why? The rack release is inside the trigger guard. To me, that's huge, and the only reason I need. The fact that it's cheaper, and is widely used in the military... Plus, if you DO decide to hunt, Mossberg 500 barrels are a dime a dozen all over the place.

Btw... Where are you getting a Mossberg 500 for $244? I've been considering picking one up with my tax return. Gander Mountain wants $349. I literally laughed when I saw the price tag.

eastmeyers

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
the mossberg 500 is used by the military.....what does the military require... at least 10K rounds with zero ftf/fte?

i'm not opposed to the rem, but i think mossy's are great guns too.

i have a hd mossy 500, but in practicing clearing the house, i noticed a problem. With a shotgun, you have to keep both hands on the gun, making it more difficult to open doors, use your cell phone to call 911 etc.

one advantage of a shotty is the sound it makes is a universal language...it doesn't matter if the bg speaks english or not, he understands what "click click" means. The shotgun is possibly the best hd gun that you may never have to actually shoot.

Why is everyone saying the Mossberg 500 is used by the military? I'm pretty sure the military uses the Mossberg 590, which is more expencive.

Also if your going to use the argument "so and so uses so and so" than most police departments use the Remington 870. And hey lets admit they sure were right about Glocks!

Rock Out With Your Glock Out!

God Bless, Semper Fi!

autosurgeon

imported post

They both are a fine defensive weapon. I happen to like the tang mounted safety better then one in the trigger guard.

Here is mine. Registered as a pistol too :celebrate

PGShotgun001.jpg

PGShotgun002.jpg

PGShotgun003.jpg

PGShotgun004.jpg

Bailenforcer

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
I know this is just asking for trouble, but here I am, kind of at a cross road.

Here are my current prospects...keep in mind that I have no intention of hunting, this is strictly home defense.

A used Remington 870 7+1 with a sling for 335 out the door.

-or-

A new Mossy 500 5+1 with a heat shield...244 out the door.

Both are 18 1/2 bbl, black synth stock at first the answer is pretty clear to me to go for the Mossy, however, something about the Rem just feels....nice. It's almost 100 bones more and used, but I really like the 7+1 although, I'll probably never need that many shots for HD, lest the SHTF, but man, I like the option and the look(far less important I know).

Main problem is I have to make the decision by tomorree, so any advice is appreciated, thanks folks :)
I had both and many of both and the Remington 870 is still the best. I also have a 870 Deerslayer model with rifile sights and I added an extension tube for the full eight round capacity plus one. It has the 20 inch barrel.

malignity

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
Why is everyone saying the Mossberg 500 is used by the military?  I'm pretty sure the military uses the Mossberg 590, which is more expencive.

The mossberg 590 is part of the mossberg 500 series. The 590 has a marginally thicker barrel and bayonett lug. Other than that, pretty much identical.

The mossberg 500 is the only pump shotgun except the Benelli to my knowledge to withstand the military torture test. People had been using the Remington 870 prior to the test coming out, and the gun was never submitted to the torture test. If everyone was using Remington 870s already, Remington had nothing to gain, and everything to lose if the gun failed.

Bailenforcer

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Like I said, that's where I'm leaning. I'm typically very....cheap, I try to get the best bang for my buck and I think that the Mossy fits that bill here, especially being new vs. used, but for some reason....I really dig the Rem, even though I'm a lefty and the safety of the Rem vs. the safety of the Mossy, I don't like the Rem, but other than that, I think I'm going to get the more expensive used gun :(
I am also a lefty but the Remington is still number one. I also have a Bennelli M-1 Tactical with the Ghost ring sights.

Michigander

imported post

Both have their perks above the other, but they both work fine.

335 is a decent deal for an 870, although don't be afraid of getting a bird hunting length Express if you want an 870 and can find that type of model even more cheaply. You can saw a barrel down, cheaply install a bead sight, get a cheap mag extender, and have a formidable HD gun.

If on the other habd you want the cheapest thing you can find, you won't be disappointed by a Mossberg.

ghostrider

imported post

malignity wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:
Why is everyone saying the Mossberg 500 is used by the military? I'm pretty sure the military uses the Mossberg 590, which is more expencive.

The mossberg 590 is part of the mossberg 500 series. The 590 has a marginally thicker barrel and bayonett lug. Other than that, pretty much identical.

The mossberg 500 is the only pump shotgun except the Benelli to my knowledge to withstand the military torture test. People had been using the Remington 870 prior to the test coming out, and the gun was never submitted to the torture test. If everyone was using Remington 870s already, Remington had nothing to gain, and everything to lose if the gun failed.
The Remington would have had to be reconfigured to even submit it for the tests. The criteria required a ambidextrous safety. Remington hasn't one. Besides, it isn't like they really need the military contract being the highest number production pump shotgun.

I've nothing against the Remington (actually just put on on layaway Monday), but I've never shot one. I did have a Mossberg that had an M-4 style stock on it, and I'd modified to fit me like a glove. Loved that shotgun, and still reminisce about it from time to time (may have to hit the new owner up for taking us out to shoot it some time), although I have a feeling that once I get my 1200 squared away the Mossy will be a distant memory.

I think the more important aspect is to make sure that whatever one you get fits you properly. For me (with the Mossberg), that meant having the M-4 style stock put on it along with two, 1/4" drop stock spacers. I've been toting a shotgun ever fall for over 30 years, and never realized how much fun shooting them could be until I shot one that actually fit me.

Either gun will do fine. The Remington have a steel receiver, and the Mossberg has an alloy receiver. The Remington will probably last longer round count, but it's doubtful you'll ever live to see the day.

Go over to the highroad and look up some of the shotgun threads.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=2766
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=464149

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136956

REad this one for sure (Buying a Used Pump Gun):
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11611

sevenplusone

imported post

The Mossy 500 vs Remmy 870 debates is a standard on these type forums.

I personally prefer 870s, but it's what I'm used to. The controls are very similar to Ithaca Mod 37's which is what I grew up with. My buddy is a Mossy guy...to each their own.

One of the things I always like to point out is that buyingan HD shotgun that was already put together in a package is not the best way to go financially. For example, my HD shotgun was built around a Remington 870 Express w/a 20" IC smoothore slug barrel. Came with decent rifle sights anditwas very lightly used and purchased cheap. I addeda cheap LED light and a magazine extension and it is now 7+1 and the whole thing was put together for under $250. This gun is awesome, it will put 3 cheapo foster style slugs into a cloverleaf at 40-50yds and yet I can break clays all day long with birdshot. Shooting buckshot makes consistent patterns over and over and over.

Again, roughly the same thing can be done with any Mossy 500, but don't just buy a package for the sake of a package. With just minor modifications you can accomplish the same thing for much cheaper by starting with a smoothbore slug gun.

Also, I for one like to keep the original stocks on a shotgun with the exception of a youth buttstock if it's too long (which you really have to go to the range and try it out on targets as quickly as possible while racking it). If you at some point are going to consider a pistol grip on the shotgun make sure you actually try it out first. They are absolutely not as easy to handle well as a full-stocked version. Other than being able to keep one loaded in the car I see no use for them. Shooting a course of fire with one will be slower and less accurate when compared to having one on your shoulder.

Good Luck! A good HD shotgun is a must have for any arsenal due to the versatility they provide and how much they can accomplish on the cheap.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Killer1306 wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
Here is mine. Registered as a pistol too :celebrate

Can you OC or CC it.

I dont think that would draw to much attention.

(haha)
As a matter of fact, yes you can OC or CC it in Michigan. Carrying loaded in vehicle or CC on foot requires a CPL.