• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HD shotty help

FatboyCykes

imported post

Necro bump, made my decision :)

DSC02775.jpg

DSC02776.jpg

Michigander

imported post

Very nice!

The only mods I suggest are removing the silly heat shield, and adding a light. A G2 Surefire and an ATI mag tube mount could be thrown on for under 50 bucks. When things go bump in the night, it is a very good thing to have.

A butt stock mounted shell carrier can also be nice and cheap to add, but having a ton of ammo handy is not as important as seeing what you're aiming at.

ghostrider

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Very nice!

The only mods I suggest are removing the silly heat shield, and adding a light. A G2 Surefire and an ATI mag tube mount could be thrown on for under 50 bucks. When things go bump in the night, it is a very good thing to have.

A butt stock mounted shell carrier can also be nice and cheap to add, but having a ton of ammo handy is not as important as seeing what you're aiming at.
You forgot "BAUUR".

Personally, I like the heat shield, but that's just me. It has it's use, besides just looking cool.

Before shooting make sure to take it apart and clean it. Then put at least 200 rounds through it. :D

I'd come help you, but I've got a couple of my own that need breaking in. :p

Michigander

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
Personally, I like the heat shield, but that's just me. It has it's use, besides just looking cool.
I have never discovered one. I have put hundreds of rounds through Mossbergs and Remingtons very rapidly while shooting skeet. I have never had a problem with the heat that caused me to have to set the guns down.

For definitely no more than 12 shots, I cannot think of any reason for a heat shield.

FatboyCykes

imported post

I'm not a fan of the heat shield, I don't even think it looks cool :p But the problem is that it's tacked on to the barrel. To remove it, I'd have to bust some welds and I don't care enough about the aesthetics to do that. I think I'm going to put a folding stock on it, I really wasn't planning on putting a pistol grip on it at all, but stock, as in how it comes stock, stock, is too long for me and not comfortable to shoulder at all. So an adjustable or folding stock seems a good option and those both come with a pistol grip. Already working on the flashlight mount, but as I just picked this up yesterday, I'm still enjoying the new gun smellz :)

ghostrider

imported post

Michigander wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
I have never discovered one. I have put hundreds of rounds through Mossbergs and Remingtons very rapidly while shooting skeet. I have never had a problem with the heat that caused me to have to set the guns down.

For definitely no more than 12 shots, I cannot think of any reason for a heat shield.
I'm sure lots of people get along fine without the heat shield (notice it is absent on mine). I think it's one of those things that comes down to personal preference. Just because we don't feel the need for it doesn't mean it doesn't serve a purpose for others.

That said. I do agree with your point to a degree. I doubt I'll ever shoot enough and load in such a manner that I'll need the heat shield. I doubt anyone else will either, but then I haven't walked in their shoes either.

I still like the way it looks though. Then again, I also like the corn cob for ends, even though they are usually counter productive for me.

Michigander

imported post

I don't suggest a folding stock and pistol grip unless you are going to turn it into a 26-30" MiDAP.

You can take the recoil pad off, and it will be a near ideal length for everyone under 6' tall. If you are recoil sensitive, you can take the recoil pad off, cut about an inch off the stock, then screw the pad back on.

Another option is that you can go to Wessels, because last time I was there, they had a box of used Mossberg stocks quite cheap. They may have a so called "youth" model stock in the box. But again, they are easy to cut down.

lil_freak_66

imported post

ah the classic 500 vs. 870 debate...

personally i prefer the 870.

you can add a mag extension to the 870,and i dont like how the 500 has the bottom open,my experience with them is that they get dirty quick.

but between the two its literally all about personal preference.

ghostrider

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
ah the classic, "500 vs. 870" debate...

personally i prefer the 870.

you can add a mag extension to the 870,and i dont like how the 500 has the bottom open,my experience with them is that they get dirty quick.

but between the two its literally all about personal preference.
There. Fixed it for you.;)

FatboyCykes

imported post

Thanks Michigander, I just might head over there tomorrow. I've been looking for a way and means to patronize them, as they have never had a problem with me OC'ing there, but there's not much for me to buy, too pricey or unavailable.

I still might stick with a collapsible or folding stock as I don't see me shouldering this thing much for HD. I'm really not going for the tacticool look, but I think I really dig the over the top folding stock, probably with a shell holder on the underside. That and a flashlight rig and I think that'll be all I do with this thing. Need to get a bore snake for it too.

prod_stock.jpg

And just to clarify, as long as it has a stock I won't have to worry about registering it as a pistol correct?

lil_freak_66

imported post

if its26-30 inches when folded its to be registered as a pistol,in michigan only(still a long arm by federal definition and every other state,that i am aware of)

anything over 30 inches when folded is still a long arm in MI.

under 26incheswhen folded/collapsed its to be registered as a short barreled shotgun,or if the barrel is under 18 inches also,but it doesnt sound like your messing with barrel length,and youcan have fun trying to register an SBS in michigan.

G

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Thanks Michigander, I just might head over there tomorrow. I've been looking for a way and means to patronize them, as they have never had a problem with me OC'ing there, but there's not much for me to buy, too pricey or unavailable.

I still might stick with a collapsible or folding stock as I don't see me shouldering this thing much for HD. I'm really not going for the tacticool look, but I think I really dig the over the top folding stock, probably with a shell holder on the underside. That and a flashlight rig and I think that'll be all I do with this thing. Need to get a bore snake for it too.

prod_stock.jpg

And just to clarify, as long as it has a stock I won't have to worry about registering it as a pistol correct?
If you plan on shooting in the pistol configuration, I would suggest you refrain from 3" magnums.

Or you could try it once. I doubt you'll try it twice.