Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AP - Starbucks sticks to its guns in open-carry states - stock price rises

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.gouverneurtimes.com/atx-f...ry-states.html

SNIP

Starbucks sticks to its guns in open-carry states

Written by The Associated Press

Wednesday, 03 March 2010 12:14

SEATTLE (AP) — Coffee chain Starbucks Corp. is sticking to its policy of letting customers carry guns where it's legal and said it does not want to be put in the middle of a larger gun-control debate.

. . .

--

See also http://www.seattlepi.com/local/41615...tml?source=rss

SNIP

Starbucks sticks to its guns
    By MONICA GUZMAN
    SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF

Joshua Trujillo / seattlepi.com
    Greg Dement, of Kent, shows his opposition to gun-control advocates by wearing a Colt 1911 during a press event at Victor Steinbrueck Park organized by Washington CeaseFire, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, and Washington State Million Mom March. Organizers of the event hope to pressure Starbucks into adopting a no-guns policy in all its stores.

Post imported post

Good for Starbucks. Yahoo also chimed in with its 2 cents.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_starbucks_guns
    AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011
    TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011-?
    Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy
    Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Post imported post

I'm proud of starbucks. I think that most corporations would crumble under the pressure of "the brady campaign" protesting and signing petitions. I've never been a fan of starbucks coffee but i may have to buy one here and there now. Perhaps there should be some kind of online "petition" sign by us to show that we support there decision.

Post imported post

I agree, I am actually surprised Starbuck's didn't cave! I might actually drink their coffee now!

Post imported post

GO!!!! Starbucks! As long as they hold on to there postion I will buy there coffee regularly just to support them. Im in colorado springs anyone wanna go to starbucks and have som coffee with me this weekend

I agree with medic where is the petion for us to sign to show our support for Starbucks. whats the NRA saying about all this, we should send them coppies of the petion also we could probably get 500,000 or so signetures to match there, what was it,28000. Come on ppl lets get together.

Post imported post

Stock rose ONE PENNY. Now I can start shopping for that condo on the beach.

Post imported post

"Brian Malte of the Brady Campaign said carrying guns intimidates and frightens people, and said the group thinks Starbucks will "do the right thing" and change its policy. "They're putting their workers in harm's way by allowing people to carry guns into their stores, especially open carry," Malte said."

The above is from an article I read at Newsmax.com
    I wonder what "people" he is referring to? Most folks I run across pay me no mind at all and a few ask questions. Haven't had a single one run away screaming yet. Also, I seem to have missed the CNN report regarding the rash of robberies and mass shootings at all those Starbucks which allow law-abiding citizens to carry a gun. I wonder if Mr. Brian Malte has any idea how plain stupid he sounds? How about we all send a thank you email to Starbucks. This is a difficult thing for a company and they need to know it is appreciated.

Post imported post

I normally avoid high-price Starbucks for my java, but I think I'll start going there now that they seem pro-gun. I have a CCW in Washington state, so I don't need to open carry, but nonetheless, we should make guns available to all law abiding citizens anywhere, anytime, instead of making them out to be criminals just for sporting a gun at certain venues.

Post imported post

I'm quite impressed with Starbucks.

Not because they 'support us;' because they don't.

They are the first company I've ever seen NOT cave in to arrogant, hate-mongering liars.

Being a Dipsh!t doesn't pay. They don't want to be pushed into being one. It's about time some organization, for their own reasons, told such sick, demented people that they can shove it.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

ixtow wrote:
    I'm quite impressed with Starbucks.

Not because they 'support us;' because they don't.

They are the first company I've ever seen NOT cave in to arrogant, hate-mongering liars.

Being a Dipsh!t doesn't pay. They don't want to be pushed into being one. It's about time some organization, for their own reasons, told such sick, demented people that they can shove it.
    +100

I've been saying this all along. Starbucks never said whether they do or don't support the 2nd Amendment or Open Carry, and that's not the point anyway. All they've said is that they refuse to discriminate against law abiding PAYING customers.

And I respect that. Let the Brady Campaign to Aid and Abet the Criminal Agenda go find their lost relevance somewhere else.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

RobertJ903 wrote:
    GO!!!! Starbucks! As long as they hold on to there postion I will buy there coffee regularly just to support them. Im in colorado springs anyone wanna go to starbucks and have som coffee with me this weekend

I agree with medic where is the petion for us to sign to show our support for Starbucks. whats the NRA saying about all this, we should send them coppies of the petion also we could probably get 500,000 or so signetures to match there, what was it,*28000. Come on ppl lets get together.
    Don't count on the NRA to endorse OC. They just don't swing that way.

Post imported post

I personally support the open gun law. But as I see it, this would apply to the people who belong to the "norm" society. For example the "soccer mom", but what about the other %? The United States has the largest number of criminals behind bars. You multiply that by a factor of criminalswho have beenin prison ( should be in prison ) and those that simply do not fit the "norm", ( gang members, drug addicts needing a fix, the guy with a poor attitude towards life and others ) and now you have the "soccer mom" walking down the sidewalk with 12 other people who are not the "norm" walking down the same sidewalk heading straight towards her. I have seen enough movies, watch way to many news stories to know that this scenario ( which is rather a tame scenario ) has a fair percentage to not end well.

KB

Post imported post

KBrando wrote:
    I personally support the open gun law. But as I see it, this would apply to the people who belong to the "norm" society. For example the "soccer mom", but what about the other %? The United States has the largest number of criminals behind bars. You multiply that by a factor of criminalswho have beenin prison ( should be in prison ) and those that simply do not fit the "norm", ( gang members, drug addicts needing a fix, the guy with a poor attitude towards life and others ) and now you have the "soccer mom" walking down the sidewalk with 12 other people who are not the "norm" walking down the same sidewalk heading straight towards her. I have seen enough movies, watch way to many news stories to know that this scenario ( which is rather a tame scenario ) has a fair percentage to not end well.

Welcome to OCDO!!

I am a little unclear about your point here, could you clarify it for me a bit??

Post imported post

KBrando wrote:
    the guy with a poor attitude towards life
    I've been described as this many times; by people who disapprove of the fact that I don't want to be like them.

When you start using criteria as wild, subjective, and backwards as "normal," you open the door to nothing short of genocide. Look around at what normal is. It's people dressing up hate, extortion and piracy (gets ready for more insults). Putting lipstick on a pig does not make it acceptable behavior, no matter how many people call it 'normal.' This society's 'normal' is no better than the 'abnormal' it strips of all rights and freedoms. It's just prettier to look at.

I guess I'm not 'normal' for being educated and well-read enough to know that... You better come take my guns.

(Oh, and Welcome to OCDO. Try not to be too insulted by my low BS tolerance. Everyone gets a dose at some point.)
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Post imported post

KBrando wrote:

KB
    Two points to address your post:

First: I don't see where it is legal for prior felons to posess a firearm, so this addresses any concerns about the "12 other people who are not the norm" if these 12 other people are convicts.

Second: These felons don't care about the law anyway. It is already against the law for felons to posess a firearm. They do so anyway. Therefore: The only person affected by a law forbidding open carry is ---- The soccer mom.

Why would anyone favor a law against open carry since the only person it affects is the law abiding soccer mom?

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

So, what do y'all think of the sign carrying protesters in the image

http://www.seattlepi.com/dayart/2010..._guns_04_2.JPG

and the propriety of them expressing a political opinion? If they are among the 28,000 of the BCPGV-Starbucks petition, has the petition been corrupted?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I'm skeptical: Starbucks hasn'tcaved in YET.

Let's seehow they stand as time goes on and they are "dragged" into the limelight more and more, especially if it effects sales downward.

-- John D.
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

[For those who aren't familiar with me, I'm halfway playing Devil's Advocate here. Most Soccer Moms are useless turds that shouldn't be trusted with their own children, but I'm sure there are exceptions. I'm demonstrating how easy it is for 'normal' to be used as a way to enforce tyranny and hate. The term 'normal' is rarely used for anything else...]
    Eeek? I'd gather most "soccer moms" are working hard taking care of their kids. I'm confused by your post..

Post imported post

"Starbucks shares closed Wednesday down 27 cents, or 1.2 percent, to $23.06."
    -AP
    Don't know where you're getting your numbers, but this is what the AP reported today.
    Y'all are foolish to think that walking around with a gun is not gonna freak people out. Unless you're a cop or you're hunting, no one wants to see that. I understand that you see it as a right and therefore it's not important that it isn't socially acceptable. Just recognize that when you show up with a gun on your hip- in public, people assume its because you want to use it- in public. You look like armed revolutionaries, so don't be surprised you're seen as a threat to the general public.

Post imported post

caitlin wrote:
    Y'all are foolish to think that walking around with a gun is not gonna freak people out.
    You're a fool for the fact that very rarely does anyone freak out. Most people never even notice it.

I'm sure some people would freak out about it, if they were paying attention.

They've been taught to hate and fear guns and people who have them.

By hate-mongering, prejudiced, propagandists like yourself.

However, it has been the overwhelming experience of people who actually do it, that those who notice are usually just curious, or even supportive. When someone is seen with a gun, doing nothing but shopping, or walking down the street, etc... The rational human mind recognizes that this person is no threat. If this person were trying to do wrong, would they be taking their time, allowing the gun to be seen, just going for a stroll? The totality of circumstances negates fear, while YOU try to stir it up. You're not any different from that Dubyah guy you hated so much; using fear as an excuse to hate and attack. Isn't that your own argument, ****** bag?

Ya see, flying airplanes into buildings and bowing up thousands of people, is a little different than going grocery shopping while in possession of adequate preventive defense tools. This is why rational, thinking people who see an Open Carrier DON'T freak out. Bad Guys don't go calmly about their business with guns in plain view. How long do they stand in line at the checkout? Rational, thinking people don't freak out over the sight of something that is clearly and obviously not a threat.

You use the same exact methods as Racists did to spread their hate. It isn't the same thing as racism, but the objectives and methods ARE the same. Hate is still hate. Lies are still lies. Dead people who fall for it, are still dead.

Post imported post

cool, see ya there! Hope you don't shoot your foot off before the big showdown.
    By the way, I'm not a communist, but your close enough. Good luck with your fight and I'm glad I got a chance to converse with you.

Post imported post

caitlin wrote:
    Just so I understand you:
    You're are a revolutionary intent on violently taking down the US government?
    This is f-ing Retarded.

A Patriot is a Revolutionary bent on preventing the Government from overthrowing Freedom.

Stupidity and Hatred are such a Government's greatest ally. You, are filled with both.

Should such a Government turn to violence (as ours often does) for it's oppressive ends, I would expect and hope that it would meet sufficient, violent resistance. Lest there be unchecked genocide as 'peace-mongers' like yourself have caused so many times in the past.

What an assclown.

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    the U.S. army will be on the wrong side, will you?
    How do you know?

Aren't most of these soldiers U.S. citizens? How does a soldier who is sworn to uphold the constitution determine where his loyalties lie when taking up arms against the civilians of his own country?

I would think that 99% of the conspiracy theory, anti-government, SHTF scenario minded individual honestly believes that if the government would try some mass martial law takeover of the citizenry, they'd be up against the U.S. Army.

Well, I wonder where the families of these soldiers fall into? Do you honestly think American soldiers will turn on their own wives, mothers and fathers, aunts and uncles, and haul them off to the slammer? Is the U.S. Army made up of heartless individuals who have no concerns for their own blood and would willingly and mindlessly heed the call to open fire?

I would like to think our armed forces are comprised of more intelligent stock than you give them credit for. As a former soldier, I am biting my tongue. To insinuate that I, or any of my fellow former service members orcurrent servicemembers are "on the wrong side" is a gross misstatement.

If you find that the fine folks in the U.S. Army are "on the wrong side" you might want to take a long hard look at where your own feet are planted.

Post imported post

I'm the hateful person?
    You called me a ****** bag and compared me to racists.
    I was not rude and I am not a propagandist.
    I saw your website in an article and was interested to hear directly from open carry supporters. The other person I was exchanging with managed to respond to me without losing his cool. If you can't engage me without being hateful, that's too bad for you and I would not want to meet you on the street while you were armed.

Post imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    the U.S. army will be on the wrong side, will you?
    How do you know?

Aren't most of these soldiers U.S. citizens? How does a soldier who is sworn to uphold the constitution determine where his loyalties lie when taking up arms against the civilians of his own country?
    I'm only too familiar with this argument...

If you live 'on base,' and your Wife and children live 'on base,' and you get deployed to go kill some 'militia revolutionaries' in Utah.........

Having your Wife and Kids at the mercy of those superiors giving the orders is pretty good insurance that you'll be quite willing to kill whomever you are told to, Us Civilians or otherwise.

This is why I never could enlist. The mentality of the US Government today and for the last 20+ years, has been more than willing to put a gun to the head of a soldier's child to get done what they want done. If you have servered under the modern US Government, you damn well that it's true.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast