• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AP - Starbucks sticks to its guns in open-carry states - stock price rises

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.gouverneurtimes.com/atx-front-page-news/12780-starbucks-sticks-to-its-guns-in-open-carry-states.html

SNIP

Starbucks sticks to its guns in open-carry states

Written by The Associated Press

Wednesday, 03 March 2010 12:14

SEATTLE (AP) — Coffee chain Starbucks Corp. is sticking to its policy of letting customers carry guns where it's legal and said it does not want to be put in the middle of a larger gun-control debate.

. . .

--

See also http://www.seattlepi.com/local/416154_starbucks.html?source=rss

SNIP

Starbucks sticks to its guns
By MONICA GUZMAN
SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF

450starbucks_guns_04_2.JPG

Joshua Trujillo / seattlepi.com
Greg Dement, of Kent, shows his opposition to gun-control advocates by wearing a Colt 1911 during a press event at Victor Steinbrueck Park organized by Washington CeaseFire, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, and Washington State Million Mom March. Organizers of the event hope to pressure Starbucks into adopting a no-guns policy in all its stores.

cbtmedic

imported post

I'm proud of starbucks. I think that most corporations would crumble under the pressure of "the brady campaign" protesting and signing petitions. I've never been a fan of starbucks coffee but i may have to buy one here and there now. Perhaps there should be some kind of online "petition" sign by us to show that we support there decision.

Rugerp90

imported post

I agree, I am actually surprised Starbuck's didn't cave! I might actually drink their coffee now!

RobertJ903

imported post

GO!!!! Starbucks! As long as they hold on to there postion I will buy there coffee regularly just to support them. Im in colorado springs anyone wanna go to starbucks and have som coffee with me this weekend

:cool:
I agree with medic where is the petion for us to sign to show our support for Starbucks. whats the NRA saying about all this, we should send them coppies of the petion also we could probably get 500,000 or so signetures to match there, what was it,28000. Come on ppl lets get together.

Flashbang

imported post

"Brian Malte of the Brady Campaign said carrying guns intimidates and frightens people, and said the group thinks Starbucks will "do the right thing" and change its policy. "They're putting their workers in harm's way by allowing people to carry guns into their stores, especially open carry," Malte said."

The above is from an article I read at Newsmax.com
I wonder what "people" he is referring to? Most folks I run across pay me no mind at all and a few ask questions. Haven't had a single one run away screaming yet. Also, I seem to have missed the CNN report regarding the rash of robberies and mass shootings at all those Starbucks which allow law-abiding citizens to carry a gun. I wonder if Mr. Brian Malte has any idea how plain stupid he sounds? How about we all send a thank you email to Starbucks. This is a difficult thing for a company and they need to know it is appreciated.

Citizen8

imported post

I normally avoid high-price Starbucks for my java, but I think I'll start going there now that they seem pro-gun. I have a CCW in Washington state, so I don't need to open carry, but nonetheless, we should make guns available to all law abiding citizens anywhere, anytime, instead of making them out to be criminals just for sporting a gun at certain venues.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm quite impressed with Starbucks.

Not because they 'support us;' because they don't.

They are the first company I've ever seen NOT cave in to arrogant, hate-mongering liars.

Being a Dipsh!t doesn't pay. They don't want to be pushed into being one. It's about time some organization, for their own reasons, told such sick, demented people that they can shove it.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

ixtow wrote:
I'm quite impressed with Starbucks.

Not because they 'support us;' because they don't.

They are the first company I've ever seen NOT cave in to arrogant, hate-mongering liars.

Being a Dipsh!t doesn't pay. They don't want to be pushed into being one. It's about time some organization, for their own reasons, told such sick, demented people that they can shove it.
+100

I've been saying this all along. Starbucks never said whether they do or don't support the 2nd Amendment or Open Carry, and that's not the point anyway. All they've said is that they refuse to discriminate against law abiding PAYING customers.

And I respect that. Let the Brady Campaign to Aid and Abet the Criminal Agenda go find their lost relevance somewhere else.

Dahwg

imported post

RobertJ903 wrote:
GO!!!! Starbucks! As long as they hold on to there postion I will buy there coffee regularly just to support them. Im in colorado springs anyone wanna go to starbucks and have som coffee with me this weekend

:cool:
I agree with medic where is the petion for us to sign to show our support for Starbucks. whats the NRA saying about all this, we should send them coppies of the petion also we could probably get 500,000 or so signetures to match there, what was it, 28000. Come on ppl lets get together.

Don't count on the NRA to endorse OC. They just don't swing that way. :cuss:

KBrando

imported post

I personally support the open gun law. But as I see it, this would apply to the people who belong to the "norm" society. For example the "soccer mom", but what about the other %? The United States has the largest number of criminals behind bars. You multiply that by a factor of criminalswho have beenin prison ( should be in prison ) and those that simply do not fit the "norm", ( gang members, drug addicts needing a fix, the guy with a poor attitude towards life and others ) and now you have the "soccer mom" walking down the sidewalk with 12 other people who are not the "norm" walking down the same sidewalk heading straight towards her. I have seen enough movies, watch way to many news stories to know that this scenario ( which is rather a tame scenario ) has a fair percentage to not end well.

KB

Scrub

imported post

KBrando wrote:
I personally support the open gun law. But as I see it, this would apply to the people who belong to the "norm" society. For example the "soccer mom", but what about the other %? The United States has the largest number of criminals behind bars. You multiply that by a factor of criminalswho have beenin prison ( should be in prison ) and those that simply do not fit the "norm", ( gang members, drug addicts needing a fix, the guy with a poor attitude towards life and others ) and now you have the "soccer mom" walking down the sidewalk with 12 other people who are not the "norm" walking down the same sidewalk heading straight towards her. I have seen enough movies, watch way to many news stories to know that this scenario ( which is rather a tame scenario ) has a fair percentage to not end well.
Welcome to OCDO!!

I am a little unclear about your point here, could you clarify it for me a bit??

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

KBrando wrote:
the guy with a poor attitude towards life
I've been described as this many times; by people who disapprove of the fact that I don't want to be like them.

When you start using criteria as wild, subjective, and backwards as "normal," you open the door to nothing short of genocide. Look around at what normal is. It's people dressing up hate, extortion and piracy (gets ready for more insults). Putting lipstick on a pig does not make it acceptable behavior, no matter how many people call it 'normal.' This society's 'normal' is no better than the 'abnormal' it strips of all rights and freedoms. It's just prettier to look at.

I guess I'm not 'normal' for being educated and well-read enough to know that... You better come take my guns.

(Oh, and Welcome to OCDO. Try not to be too insulted by my low BS tolerance. Everyone gets a dose at some point.)

Superlite27

imported post

KBrando wrote:

KB

Two points to address your post:

First: I don't see where it is legal for prior felons to posess a firearm, so this addresses any concerns about the "12 other people who are not the norm" if these 12 other people are convicts.

Second: These felons don't care about the law anyway. It is already against the law for felons to posess a firearm. They do so anyway. Therefore: The only person affected by a law forbidding open carry is ---- The soccer mom.

Why would anyone favor a law against open carry since the only person it affects is the law abiding soccer mom?

Pace

imported post

[For those who aren't familiar with me, I'm halfway playing Devil's Advocate here. Most Soccer Moms are useless turds that shouldn't be trusted with their own children, but I'm sure there are exceptions. I'm demonstrating how easy it is for 'normal' to be used as a way to enforce tyranny and hate. The term 'normal' is rarely used for anything else...]

Eeek? I'd gather most "soccer moms" are working hard taking care of their kids. I'm confused by your post..

caitlin

imported post

"Starbucks shares closed Wednesday down 27 cents, or 1.2 percent, to $23.06."
-AP
Don't know where you're getting your numbers, but this is what the AP reported today.
Y'all are foolish to think that walking around with a gun is not gonna freak people out. Unless you're a cop or you're hunting, no one wants to see that. I understand that you see it as a right and therefore it's not important that it isn't socially acceptable. Just recognize that when you show up with a gun on your hip- in public, people assume its because you want to use it- in public. You look like armed revolutionaries, so don't be surprised you're seen as a threat to the general public.