• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy with a few questions...

cifa22

imported post

Hi all.....new to the forum, but I must confess that I've been a long time lurker (is that a word?) on the forum as well as an avid open and concealed carrier over the years.

I really enjoy the articulate clarity of so many posters here. Thank you for all your research and dedication to supporting our constitution!

So....what drove me to finally post?? I just recently renewed my National Park Permit ($80) and had an interesting conversation with the gal behind the counter at the Enumclaw Forest Ranger Station on Hwy 410.

I left my sidearm in my vehicle as it was clearly posted that firearms were not permitted inside so I secured my sidearm in my vehicle and went inside. In the course of renewing my permit I politely asked for some clarity on carrying a firearm into any of the National Parks in Washington State. I was promptly informed that it was not allowed. Playing somewhat dumb...(not hard to do :) ) I then stated that I'd "heard something on the news" about a recent change that permitted open and concealed carry in the Olympic National Park." She stated that it had been overturned and was illegal. Guns were not allowed in any state park.

I further persisted and asked about Mount Rainier. She added that Mount Rainier had banned firearms entirely. (not sure what she meant by that other than they allowed them at some point??)

She then stated that her superior had just been in last week and handed out "some paper about it" and that she couldn't find it. It didn't really matter, what was important to her was that firearms were not allowed in any national park and that the legislation that proposed to allow it had been suspended for a year for additional review.

I told her that I was now really confused because on the web site for Mount Rainier: http://www.nps.gov/mora/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm it clearly states a different position than she was taking. In fact it stated that the ruling had taken effect on 2/22/2010. She stammered a bit and kept referring to some paper that her superior had given them and that in the end it didn't matter. Guns were illegal in the park and I was misinformed.

I politely informed her that to the best of my knowledge her information was incorrect and that she should contact her boss for clarity so as to not mis-inform patrons to the park. I also mentioned that she should look at the web site herself to have the most up to date information. She didn't say whether she would or not, just that she didn't like guns, as a single mother she felt she had no need of them and that the park was no place for people to carry weapons.

I stated my reasons for carrying and the fact that I had been robbed twice at gunpoint over the past 30 years of my adult life and that on one occasion had been beaten pretty badly that put me in the hospital for a period of time. (pre carry days)

When I asked her what the Park's plans were to keep "bad guys" from showing up with guns she stammered again but no real answer. When I persisted as to what they were doing to protect patrons from the criminal element in the park, she said they were understaffed and would respond to any incident as quickly as they could. I started to ask her why she felt it wasn't a good idea to for citizens to defend themselves given that we were a "stand your ground" state she again more emphatically proclaimed her dislike of guns.

More was said back and forth that only confirmed her ignorance of the law, that she was supposed to be able to interpret and uphold (kinda scary), and her absolute dislike of an armed citizenry.

My parting comment was accompanied by a smile and then a frown of concern that she might want to get current with the law, particularly as she was being paid to know it and enforce it.

The conversation was never at any point in any way rude or overly vigorous, just a casual conversation that gave her a lot to think about (I hope) and research if she takes her job seriously. I am contemplating contacting the forest service in Olympia to "take this up a notch" to ensure proper education for the park staff.

Any thoughts???

kenshin

imported post

cifa22 wrote:
I am contemplating contacting the forest service in Olympia to "take this up a notch" to ensure proper education for the park staff.

Any thoughts???
Absolutely, you should bring this up with whoever the next step up the ladder is. Sounds kinda like she knew about the rule change and she was just trying to prevent people from carrying anyways.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Ajetpilot

imported post

Welcome! It will take awhile for everyone to realize that the Second Amendment is alive and well in our National Parks. One would think that they would have better training about the change in the law, given that it has been many months since passage, but then again there is always ten percent that never get the word.

amlevin

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Welcome to the forum cifa22!

I've said it before, so I might as well say it again until people are tired of hearing it and then I will probably keep saying it anyway (I am trying to do my best impersonation of Hank T here!)....

I still don't understand the need to ask these people if they know the law or not. Do we ask the Wal Mart greeter? Do we ask the Starbuck's counter person? Do we ask each LEO agency when we enter their jurisdiction? I just don't understand the need to bring it up unless I am asked about it.

We know what the law is. We go about our normal business just obeying the law and typically don't stop Joe Schmoe on the street and ask him if he knows that it's OK for us to carry our guns, I don't see any pressing need to ask the person behind the counter at a National Park visitor's center.
Kind of like the Nike slogan, "Just do it!", right?

kito109654

imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

NavyLT wrote:
Welcome to the forum cifa22!

I've said it before, so I might as well say it again until people are tired of hearing it and then I will probably keep saying it anyway (I am trying to do my best impersonation of Hank T here!)....

I still don't understand the need to ask these people if they know the law or not. Do we ask the Wal Mart greeter? Do we ask the Starbuck's counter person? Do we ask each LEO agency when we enter their jurisdiction? I just don't understand the need to bring it up unless I am asked about it.

We know what the law is. We go about our normal business just obeying the law and typically don't stop Joe Schmoe on the street and ask him if he knows that it's OK for us to carry our guns, I don't see any pressing need to ask the person behind the counter at a National Park visitor's center.

Fully agreed. The people who want to know more will almost always ask.