• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

But we have our guns....just in case - Walter Mitty's Second Amendment fantasy

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

The piece below is one of the most astute observations on the Second Amendment that I've seen. Highlights:

"In that fruitful land, the state took about 50 percent of everything the people earned through numerous forms of taxation, up from about 25 percent only a generation earlier. However, this boastful people, who believed themselves to be the freest on earth, retained the right to keep and bear arms. Tens of millions of them possessed firearms just in case their government became tyrannical and enslaved them."

"Even home owners often required permission to simply build an addition to their homes, or to erect a tool shed on their so-called private property. And so it seemed that "private property" became, not a system protecting individual liberty, but a system which, while providing the illusion of ownership, actually just allocated and assigned government-mandated burdens and responsibilities.

Still, this mightily productive people believed themselves to live in the most capitalistic society on earth, a society dedicated to the protection of private property. And so they retained the right to keep and bear arms. Just in case their government ever sought to deprive them of their property without just compensation."

http://www.federalobserver.com/archive.php?aid=1874

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Just what are you trying to say? Seems like folks find acceptable a high level of taxation, they keep electing folks who impose higher taxes again and again.

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Just what are you trying to say? Seems like folks find acceptable a high level of taxation, they keep electing folks who impose higher taxes again and again.
Did you read the flyer? I'm not really trying to say anything. I'm saying it.

longwatch

imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
longwatch wrote:
You are Walter Mitty with a gun? Restore the Constitution? To what? I'm on your end of the spectrum and I'm not getting your message dude.

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

longwatch wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
longwatch wrote:
You are Walter Mitty with a gun? Restore the Constitution? To what? I'm on your end of the spectrum and I'm not getting your message dude.

I'll try my bestto break this down here. 1) I'm not Walter Mitty; my name is Daniel Almond. 2) Yes, I do have a gun, afew, as a matter of fact. 3) Restore the Constitution? Yes, I'd like to see it restored. 3) To what? To actually being followed by the federal government instead of being violated and ignored.

Do you get the message, dude?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

longwatch wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
longwatch wrote:

Use the federalobserver link in his OP. The text he snipped from is there.

The flyer is an anouncement concerning the 2A march in DC.

longwatch

imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
longwatch wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
longwatch wrote:

I'll try my bestto break this down here. 1) I'm not Walter Mitty; my name is Daniel Almond. 2) Yes, I do have a gun, afew, as a matter of fact. 3) Restore the Constitution? Yes, I'd like to see it restored. 3) To what? To actually being followed by the federal government instead of being violated and ignored.

Do you get the message, dude?
Standing in a park with a firearm does this how? That's what I'm not getting. If the government has gone tyrannical or simply sees you as enough of a threat you will be neutralized. That doesn't mean killed or arrested, it means your meetings infiltrated, ridicule in the mainstream press, or just nailing you with an IRS audit from hell, or you won't be considered a threat at all and you will just be ignored.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
The piece below is one of the most astute observations on the Second Amendment that I've seen. Highlights:

"In that fruitful land, the state took about 50 percent of everything the people earned through numerous forms of taxation, up from about 25 percent only a generation earlier. However, this boastful people, who believed themselves to be the freest on earth, retained the right to keep and bear arms. Tens of millions of them possessed firearms just in case their government became tyrannical and enslaved them."

"Even home owners often required permission to simply build an addition to their homes, or to erect a tool shed on their so-called private property. And so it seemed that "private property" became, not a system protecting individual liberty, but a system which, while providing the illusion of ownership, actually just allocated and assigned government-mandated burdens and responsibilities.

Still, this mightily productive people believed themselves to live in the most capitalistic society on earth, a society dedicated to the protection of private property. And so they retained the right to keep and bear arms. Just in case their government ever sought to deprive them of their property without just compensation."

http://www.federalobserver.com/archive.php?aid=1874
I agree...but until the Masses of Sheep wake up & opens there eyes to reality..nothing will change, not until they are paying 95 % taxes & fee's....then maybe, just maybe..when I was a little younger, I though that I might be alive to see the next Revolution, but now I see I will be bones in a coffin 50 years from now & people will still THINK they are free.:banghead:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Guys,

We probably just won the most significant case involving gun rights in the last 200 years, have seen unprecedented advancement of gun rights over the last several decades against a concerted effort by anti-gun forces, and have been successful in starting the process of normalizing carry and making gun rights a non-partisan civil rights issue.

And yet still there are those who would see the cup as half empty?

Come on. The Republic is strong, the Constitution is sound and we should be happy today while planning for an even better tomorrow.

There are other forums for taxes, secession, etc but they are not here.

Thanks.

John