• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WSJ - Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Home Depot Inc., Best Buy Co. and Barnes & Noble Inc., are d

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704541304575099433593489048.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLETopStories
By VANESSA O'CONNELL And JULIE JARGON
SNIP

Starbucks Corp. and some other chain stores in the U.S. are finding themselves caught in the middle of a firearms debate, as gun-control advocates go up against a burgeoning campaign by gun owners to carry holstered pistols in public places.

The "open carry" movement, in which gun owners carry unconcealed handguns as they go about their everyday business, is loosely organized around the country but has been gaining traction in recent months. Gun-control advocates have been pushing to quash the movement, including by petitioning the Starbucks coffee chain to ban guns on its premises.

. . .

"The concealed carry movement has been successful but open carry is coming up," in popularity, said Mike Stollenwerk, a retired Army lieutenant colonel and co-founder of the opencarry.org site.

. . .

Home Depot Inc., Best Buy Co. and Barnes & Noble Inc., are designated as "open-carry" friendly in some online forums or say they abide by existing laws. "Our practice is to comply with local and state laws," said Best Buy spokeswoman Sue Busch Nehring.

Open-carry proponents are also taking advantage of some momentum in state legislatures to expand gun rights, although most new and pending measures don't specifically address unconcealed handguns.

Open carry hasn't been part of the official focus of the pro-gun lobbying group, the National Rifle Association, which has 4 million members.

In the past 20 years, the NRA has focused on expanding the ability of U.S. gun owners to carry a handgun in a concealed manner.

Today, 38 states have a "shall issue" permit process. Two states don't require a license to conceal carry. Eight states have "may issue" concealed carry laws, meaning permits will be given with the discretion of a local politician or police officer.

"We support the self-defense rights of law-abiding Americans in accordance with local, state and federal laws," says Andrew Arulanandam, an NRA spokesman, who declined further comment on open-carry activity.
. . .

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

WSJ wrote:
"We support the self-defense rights of law-abiding Americans in accordance with local, state and federal laws," says Andrew Arulanandam, an NRA spokesman, who declined further comment on open-carry activity.
. . .

Ugh. Why isn't the NRA saying more about this issue? Not good.

WSJ wrote:
The IWW Starbucks Workers Union on Wednesday issued a statement, saying "We appreciate the vigorous debate taking place by principled individuals on both sides of this issue. However, to date we are not aware of any efforts by Starbucks to widely engage its workers who are directly affected by open-carry gun laws. We believe an appropriate solution cannot be reached without doing so."

Ugh. The union(s) getting involved. Not good even worse.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mike wrote:
. . .
Declining comment by the NRA is no different than the Va. politician who declines to complete the VCDL questionnaire when running for office. The absence of a positve endorsement has been highly noticeable.

Absence does NOT make the heart grow fonder - it creates doubt and then distrust.

Yata hey

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Stuff...doubt and then distrust.
The NRA made themselves unworthy of a citizen's trust a long time ago.

The NRA have made it abundantly clear that they support a paid-for, government-issued PRIVILEGE, not anyone's rights of any kind at all.

reverenddan

imported post

I will tell you all right now that Home Depot will NOT allow open carry in their store.

As a former employee I was grilled with the rules and they state clearly that no weapons are allowed on the premises and this includes even the smallest pocket knife.

They go so far as to tell employees that they may not lock a personal weapon in their vehicle if it is on company property.

I cannot imagine them amending their rules to allow customers to open carry.

GoldCoaster

imported post

The NRA has lost the fire in the belly that makes a group a good activist group. I don't know if they ever had fire in their belly though, at least not since before 1934.

I applaud them for the things they do with regards safety classes and pistol leagues and the junior NRA rifle teams.

What they do for us with regards keeping the laws from being written or bad representatives from being elected - my money goes to GOA - at least they don't care if they offend people they call it like it is.

steamnsteel

imported post

reverenddan wrote:
I will tell you all right now that Home Depot will NOT allow open carry in their store.

As a former employee I was grilled with the rules and they state clearly that no weapons are allowed on the premises and this includes even the smallest pocket knife.

They go so far as to tell employees that they may not lock a personal weapon in their vehicle if it is on company property.

Well, I have and do open carry at Home depot and have seen others as well.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

reverenddan wrote:

I have to disagree with you there. You're referring to the employee rules. The rules for the customers are a bit different. I've carried in Home Depot many times with no problems.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

reverenddan wrote:

Welcome to OCDO Reverend

I do think you're confusing employee policy with costumer policy, to some extent anyway.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ixtow wrote:

The NRA have made it abundantly clear that they support a paid-for, government-issued PRIVILEGE, not anyone's rights of any kind at all.

That's a pretty broad accusation.

NOT

ANY
ONE's rights of

ANY KIND

AT ALL.

Can you provide some of your justification for that kind of absolutist position?

An example,perhaps...an argument with some details...

Something?

Have you ever been a member of the NRA, by the way?

reverenddan

imported post

I find that surprising.

You can now see why I don't work for HD any more. A company so capricious in their applications of standards has no respect from me.

Everything, and I do mean everything, is standardized from headquarters in Atlanta GA and there is very little rhyme or reason. My wife works for HD and she is continually frustrated by the whimsical standards. She will be forced to implement a new standard (she is a merchandiser) and the overload of paperwork and "busy-work" drives her to distraction, only to have the new standard done away with in two weeks time. Literally.

I guess I would put Home Depot's standard up there with Starbucks, they simply don't want to deter customers. Employees are another thing.

Well, I'm glad I found this site. Will pursue it more.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

reverenddan wrote:
I find that surprising.

You can now see why I don't work for HD any more. A company so capricious in their applications of standards has no respect from me.

Everything, and I do mean everything, is standardized from headquarters in Atlanta GA and there is very little rhyme or reason. My wife works for HD and she is continually frustrated by the whimsical standards. She will be forced to implement a new standard (she is a merchandiser) and the overload of paperwork and "busy-work" drives her to distraction, only to have the new standard done away with in two weeks time. Literally.

I guess I would put Home Depot's standard up there with Starbucks, they simply don't want to deter customers. Employees are another thing.

Well, I'm glad I found this site. Will pursue it more.
Gander Mountain has pretty much the same policy with employee's; at least as far as firearms are concerned. I was talking to an employee in the firearms department a while back and he was a bit irked that customers could carry but not him.

reverenddan

imported post

The more I know about them the less I approve of "mega-corporations" that have dictations handed down from some corporate headquarters with their heads buried in the sand.

I like the local "candy store" where I know the proprietor and although I might not get it quite as cheap I know that my dollars are paying a living wage to a human being who knows and appreciates me.

I live near the headquarters of Bass Pro Shop. I am done giving them my money. Terrible customer service has been my experience every time I've been in there. The store is packed with stuff but it seems the selection for what I am shopping for is mediocre at best. I don't have money for a high dollar fishing boat, nor do I want to buy the latest hunting clothing.

I appreciate the rural Missouri I moved to and I am really learning to really appreciate the folks here and I will support them if given the opportunity.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

HankT wrote:
WSJ wrote:
. . .

Ugh. Why isn't the NRA saying more about this issue? Not good.
Well they have supported open carry rights before with their alerts, notably Wisconsin . . .

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

reverenddan wrote:
I live near the headquarters of Bass Pro Shop. I am done giving them my money. Terrible customer service has been my experience every time I've been in there. The store is packed with stuff but it seems the selection for what I am shopping for is mediocre at best. I don't have money for a high dollar fishing boat, nor do I want to buy the latest hunting clothing.
Have you communicated your dissatisfaction with Bass Pro Shop?

aadvark

imported post

I am trying to get our Local Goodwill Store to lift their NO GUNS Sign located at the front door of their Establishment.

Thus far, I have little success, however; I am readily anticipate recieving returned correspondence from Goodwill's President of North Georgia Operations.

There is only ONE other Establishment in Town that Bans Firearms outright: Tuesday Morning.

mopone

imported post

Could the reason Home Depot takes that stand with employees, have to do with liability and insurance issues? Not that they want to treat their employees with less respect than the public they serve, but can they afford to?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
ixtow wrote:
That's a pretty broad accusation.

NOT

ANY
ONE's rights of

ANY KIND

AT ALL.

Can you provide some of your justification for that kind of absolutist position?

An example,perhaps...an argument with some details...

Something?

Have you ever been a member of the NRA, by the way?

Yes I can, HankT.

The NRA supports the Brady Check on all gun purchases. This alone transforms the Right into a Privilege because one has to beg for permission and pay. Support of concealed Carry is another example of the same. The NRA virtually authored the '86 Ban. Etc... They support government regulation of all firearms to such a degree that it is no longer a Right. They are their own 'only ones.'

No, I have never been a member. What's that got to do with anything?

But you already knew all of this. You're just trolling, as usual.

Really, must I cite to everything you disagree with or pretend not to know already? I wasn't put on this earth to be your babysitter, nor you mine.

loxety

imported post

reverenddan wrote:

I've open carried there a lot.. never a problem.