• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NCCDL Forming

CarryOpen

imported post

Ok Folks, here it is - I think we've got enough support behind the idea, so here's where we can discuss ideas and progress. First on our agenda is forming a non-profit. For this we'll need by-laws, directors and even a bit of money. Before we take that step though, I'd like to hear back on our progress talking with VCDL.

I already have some agenda ideas, but I'll hold those back until we're onto the action stage. Let's start off here by getting some feedback from folks about what they can do as far as activism and as far as any services or expertise they can provide.

The domain has already been purchased by Bebog, I'd like to throw out that I can host it for free on my current domain hosting account.

Dreamer

imported post

I will contact Phil at VCDL tomorrow (Thursday) and get the ball rolling with him, and ask for advice and guidance.

Perhaps we could get a caravan of interested NC folks to go to one of the OC meets in Richmond, or maybe even convince Phil and some of the other VCDL officers to come down to one of our events. I'll ask him if he'd be willing to come to Raleigh or something in the next month or so...

I'd love to help with being an "officer" but I just don't have that much spare time as a Grad Student. I WILL volunteer to do design work for flyers, pamplets, buttons, posters, etc. I can even work on designing a logo, and I can do some basic design for the website, but I just don't have the time to be completely in charge of building a fully-fleshed-out webpage at this point in time. Maybe this summer I could, but not right now, or not even for the next 3 months or so. Maybe you could give me the title of "Communications Officer" or "Public Relations Liaison" or something...

Lawmaker

imported post

Website. Have not made one in a really long time. But would be willing to help mod the forums and help with admin and such.

I would be willing to be an officer. I have a bit of free time and have some experience with managing various groups.

First thing we need to do is set up the board/officers and start the business plan. Then we can decide what we can do and what we are going to have to hire out. Also think that we should get a rough draft of the by laws before we do much also. Can someone get a copy of VA's?

CarryOpen

imported post

I have auto installers for joomla and some other content systems at my webhost, so I think we can put together a fairly nice looking website without a full-time web developer. Basically we'll just need content to plug into the cms.

CarryOpen

imported post

I'm also willing to be an officer. I do agree that we need a core of people to make decisions and get the ball rolling. Fortunately, we're both near each other, so that can make it more convenient for us anyhow.

Scrub

imported post

I am willing to devote as much time as I can. I write well when I put my mind to it, and I have good computer skills. I am a quick study and am willing to help/serve in whatever I position I can that is helpful to our cause.

I will have more time in the summer months after dance recitals are over for my wife and daughter {that is like the playoffs for you guys that don't have daughters}. I am assuming I can watch this thread for details on any meetings, etc.

Adam H

imported post

Well, I reckon I must be the odd one out. Everyone else is in the eastern part of the state and I'm here in Concord. If y'all decide to have a meeting in Raleigh, I might be able to drive up there for it.

Bebog

imported post

Adam,

No worries, we are all spread out across the state. Once everything gets organized, the main fight we will have to take up will be in Raleigh, at the offices of our elected officials.

The organization will require people from every nook and cranny of our state so the reps can see that the issues are not just isolated at a local level. Every rep from every district needs to be feeling the heat! :celebrate

blindhog

imported post

I live in Greensboro and am looking forward to helping in any way I can. I have no special skills , butI am passionate and will do what it takes to further or right to keep and bear.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm in.

Should we take a look at the VCDL's ByLaws if they have any? May be a good model, to get ideas.

An important thing to do is register as a 501c3, perhaps, so the organization can take donations and do other beneficial things that go along with having a non-profit tax status.

Dreamer

imported post

I contacted Phil from VCDL via email, and he promptly responded. He is very excited about us getting more active here in NC, and said he would love to help, when he has time.

He said he would be wiling to come down to NC (Raleigh would probably be a good meeting spot) in April.

I'll firm things up with him then after we get with the Raleigh crowd and nail down their April meetup. Perhaps we should choose a larger venue--like a place where maybe we can get a seperate dining room or something. If we could get a substantial turnout it would be GREAT. I think maybe we might want to try for a Saturday, rather than a weeknight though, to get the attendance numbers up.

I'll keep you folks posted...

CarryOpen

imported post

I think this is a great idea. Something that I discussed with a friend after our last meet in Jacksonville was to consider finding a suitable "after dinner" spot for OCers who want to hang around longer and chat. Maybe we can find something like this in Raleigh.

I'm good with five board members, I was originally thinking three because of our numbers, but five will give a better representation.

I was thinking about this on the way to work today and wanted to throw it out there early on - for me, personally, this is going to be a group about NC self defense rights, RKBA, etc. and not a "political" group in any larger sense. I'd rather not get into the business of supporting or denouncing candidates or getting into peripheral issues that don't relate to our cause. I have a feeling that many of us have differing politics beyond our common interest. I'm not saying we shouldn't decry poor political decisions that involve our core issues, just that we need to be careful to keep our focus.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

When you all say five, you referring to the typical: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and At-large? Am I missing anything in particular?

A Sergeant at Arms perhaps? :lol:

CarryOpen

imported post

I was thinking about that last night, originally I had just thought, president, vice president and treasurer. But, I suppose that other than designating a treasurer, we don't necessarily need titles. All decisions can go through the board at a majority vote.

Scrub

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
snip

I'm good with five board members, I was originally thinking three because of our numbers, but five will give a better representation.

snip

Based on interest so far, I agree with you on the 5 person board.

The more we discuss this, the more there is to do so that we are sure it's done right.

I am pleased to see that there are quite a few folks that seem to know about many of the details that will keep this new organization legit.

Did I understand correctly that we are looking for some type of organizational meetin in April?