• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello Everyone. First Day on Open Carry

Archsgurl

imported post

Hello all,
I found this site through an article I read about Starbucks serving customers that open carry. I love it. I am still just mostly reading and am slowly catching up on some of the more interesting threads.

I grew up in Texas, around guns my whole life and actually had the concealed weapon permit of Texas and carried a Glock.357. I loved it and believe that everyone,especially children need to be educated in our constitutional right to bear arms and gun safety.

My 2 kids- 9 and 12 - still living at home have rifles, and have been around guns their whole lives and completely respect them and are not afraid of them. They have also gotten very comfortable with seeing people in Freddys and elsewhere open carry and cant wait till they can do that also. LOL

I sold my .357 about 5 years ago and now have been looking at pistols again.

My problem isnt the gun part but the holster part, I only wear shorts or cartharts and am not real sure how to open carry with those two types of "pants" since neither lend themselves to a belt. Any suggestions?

NY2AZ

imported post

Wow! A new member that isn't a troll. Awesome! Hey welcome aboard. I hope you like it here. To answer your inquiry, I would say a dedicated gun belt, like the one in the picture, would suffice. As long s you don't go all out mall ninja/commando with it, you'll be alright. Unless of course that's your thing; than your more than welcome to do as you please. Just be ready for some stares. Regardless, if you choose to go with a duty belt remember, the belt itself does not have to show, it can be easily covered with an untucked shirt.

Good luck, have fun, and stay safe.

Archsgurl

imported post

Oh that is nice, thanks. And yes I am not a troll. Filthly creatures they are. Can we use the trolls as target practice? :D:D

Still just reading some of the threads..

Archsgurl

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

You might want to look at a paddle holster for beltless carry. I have a paddle holster, but I have not tried it beltless. The paddle is a wide, curved piece that goes inside the pants and sits against your hip, then the holster itself is outside the pants. I always were mine with a t-shirt because the gun is carried above the waistband and if I want to conceal it I can just flip my outer shirt over it and not have the gun rubbing against bare skin.
Yes, that is how I carried my concealed .357 in texas. It worked nice because the shorts were jean shorts. These unfortunately are just pull on type and I think that type of holster would pull them off..

and On Cartharts, not sure where I could hook that type of holster. LOL

Archsgurl

imported post

Yes I have been looking at those. They look kinda interesting. I would have to actually try one on to see how they feel though. I have never worn one.

Do any of you use a shoulder holster for OC?

Flyer22

imported post

Only once sofarhave I used a shoulder holster to OC. I got more looks than usual, but nobody said anything. If you don't mind a lot more attention than usual, go right ahead.

t33j

imported post

Woah woah woah. Shorts?? Alaska?? How are those two words in the same sentence without the word Summer?

Archsgurl

imported post

t33j wrote:
Woah woah woah. Shorts?? Alaska?? How are those two words in the same sentence without the word Summer?
Actually I, my husband and kids dont even put on our carttharts, uninsulated, till there is at least a foot and a half of snow on the ground till then it is shorts all the way. The insulated carttharts, dont come out till the snow reachs 3 feet at least.

@Flyer22 -- I have 16 very prominent tattoos on my arms and legs, so attention doesnt bother me a bit and OC up here, doesnt seem to be stared at as much, at least not on the Kenai, in my experience.

noname762

imported post

Archsgurl wrote:
Hello all,
I found this site through an article I read about Starbucks serving customers that open carry. I love it. I am still just mostly reading and am slowly catching up on some of the more interesting threads.

I grew up in Texas, around guns my whole life and actually had the concealed weapon permit of Texas and carried a Glock.357. I loved it and believe that everyone,especially children need to be educated in our constitutional right to bear arms and gun safety.

My 2 kids- 9 and 12 - still living at home have rifles, and have been around guns their whole lives and completely respect them and are not afraid of them. They have also gotten very comfortable with seeing people in Freddys and elsewhere open carry and cant wait till they can do that also. LOL

I sold my .357 about 5 years ago and now have been looking at pistols again.

My problem isnt the gun part but the holster part, I only wear shorts or cartharts and am not real sure how to open carry with those two types of "pants" since neither lend themselves to a belt. Any suggestions?
You could try Key logging jeans for the belt aspect or find yourself a nice shoulder rig.