• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

no more Fletchers for me.

scorpio_vette

imported post

I just posted this on my facebook, so i just copied the whole thing over here. people on this forum constantly seem to rave about fletchers and how crappy shooters on 6mile is. well......i'm going to be the oddball i guess and say that fletchers can shove it.

well for one they were super friendly when we were shopping around for heathers gun. took their time with us and so on and so forth. today when we went in and they found out we bought a gun somewhere else, they didn't even wanna give us the time of day.

they are way to freaking overpriced on most if not all their stuff to the point of being so ridiculous that it's not even affordable. for example: renting/trying 10guns at shooters cost $8+ammo. renting/trying 10guns at fletchers cost $80+ammo.

shooters allows open carry and range use without problem. fletchers allows open carry also. so heather and me are on the range breaking in her new gun when she decides to take a break and so i go to use mine. so i un-holster mine, lay it on the tray load my spare magazine and get ready to shoot when suddenly i get called out. they tell me that i'm allowed to open carry, but i'm NOT ALLOWED to take it out WHILE AT THE FIRING LANE. if i want to use it at the range i have to bring it in encased.
apparently somebody shot himself with his own gun while it was in his holster, so now nobody is allowed to use holstered weapons on the range anymore. REALLY??? but it's impossible for somebody to shoot himself or somebody else with an un-holstered gun???

fletchers minimum range distance is 30feet. shooters minimum distance is 20feet. may not sound like alot in some cases, but when you are talking about a difference of a 3" barrel vs. a 5"+ barrel, it can make quite a bit of difference. specially when you have a brand new gun that you are trying to get used to and sight in. so needless to say, the targets didn't look very good for a while.

and it was ******* freezing in there. Heather's hands were turning blue (she's sensitive to cold anyways), and at the end didn't even want to shoot anymore because her hands were so cold and she was shivering, and even i was very chilly. at shooters it was very comfortable on the range and in the store room.

fletchers also doesn't allow the use of WOLF and BEAR ammo on their range, which are two of the brands that heather and me use. so at shooters i can use my own ammo which i can get for as cheap as $0.20 per round, while at fletchers i have to use their ammo which costs me $0.40 per round.

oh and just for shits and giggles i guess..........
at fletchers you can't smoke. at shooters you can. LOL

anyways.......some of it may be an issue, some of it may not be. but overall, between the distance from our house, the friendliness/environment and the cost of the use, i will stick with shooters. even the customers seem friendlier at shooters. the few times i've gone there so far, people have always struck up friendly conversation and just chatted a bit. the few times heather and me went to fletchers just to look around, people always seem to stare me down and look at her like she's in the wrong place or lost.

akito

imported post

so in other words you should have came with us today :p I have never been there myself , but don.t plan to go . You both are welcome to come with us in 2 weeks if you would like .

scorpio_vette

imported post

yes we should have come with you. LOL unfortunately we can only go to shooters if we can get one of our friends in the area to watch our little 1year old. fletcher seemed convenient today since her parents live down there and could watch him. but yeah.......that money would have been much better spend at shooters, and i'm sure she would have enjoyed it that much more.

i'm NOT saying it's the guns, because i've heard nothing but good about the PX4 storm subcompact. but at 30feet she only hit the target 4x out of the first 20rounds. i'm sure it has alot to do with it being a BRAND NEW gun that we are not familiar with, and i'm sure the fact that it only has a 3" barrel may also have something to do with it. then again i don't know. i'm still learning myself. all i know is that at 30feet with my cz82 i was able to hit 5 shots in/near the bullseye, but i was still ALL OVER the target and had nowhere near the tight grouping that i have at 20feet. and even when i shot PX4 gun i only got 5 out of 10rounds on the target.

protias

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
i'm NOT saying it's the guns, because i've heard nothing but good about the PX4 storm subcompact. but at 30feet she only hit the target 4x out of the first 20rounds. i'm sure it has alot to do with it being a BRAND NEW gun that we are not familiar with, and i'm sure the fact that it only has a 3" barrel may also have something to do with it. then again i don't know. i'm still learning myself. all i know is that at 30feet with my cz82 i was able to hit 5 shots in/near the bullseye, but i was still ALL OVER the target and had nowhere near the tight grouping that i have at 20feet. and even when i shot PX4 gun i only got 5 out of 10rounds on the target.
Could be her grip too. If you have issues with all your firearms, set an appointment up with Bob and he'll teach you everything you need to know. Even if you have issues later, he'll help you.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

protias wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
Could be her grip too. If you have issues with all your firearms, set an appointment up with Bob and he'll teach you everything you need to know. Even if you have issues later, he'll help you.
could be something as easy as the way she pulls the trigger. slow, even pressure..don't pull..squeeze.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:

I am really interested in the PX4 Storm Subcompact and so far, this is the first negative report I've read. You may have gotten a bad one... did you buy it new?

One method you can use to separate the gun's accuracy from yours is to shoot from a bench rest. Get in a good, comfortable rest position and just S-Q-U-E-E-Z-E off some rounds. I assume you found a backstrap that feels good. Remember also, the sight radius on the PX is shorter than your CZ.

Keep us informed,
Dave

scorpio_vette

imported post

@davegran----i'm not trying to say anything negative about the px4 subcompact. at least not yet. i'm believe going to a range that allows closer distances, AND getting a proper feel for that gun will make a difference. it obviously uses a very short barrel, and i'm sure that has a huge effect on it.

we do have the different backstraps, and will have to experiment around with those a little to see if/how they affect the control.

if you ever wanna give it a try, let me know. i'll have to ask the wife since it's her, but i'm sure she wouldn't mind us going to the range together and letting you try it out.

as far as the sight radius being much different, i'll have to size that up later. the other day when i was holding them next to each other i was actually surprised to see that they were very similar in size to each other. i'm still working on taking some pics and posting them up later in it's own comparison/review thread.

protias

imported post

GlocksRfun wrote:
I've noticed attitude at fletchers also. But they sure are convenient.
Really? I have not had any attitude from Fletchers. Who was giving it to you?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
well for one they were super friendly when we were shopping around for heathers gun. took their time with us and so on and so forth. today when we went in and they found out we bought a gun somewhere else, they didn't even wanna give us the time of day.

they are way to freaking overpriced on most if not all their stuff to the point of being so ridiculous that it's not even affordable. for example: renting/trying 10guns at shooters cost $8+ammo. renting/trying 10guns at fletchers cost $80+ammo.

shooters allows open carry and range use without problem. fletchers allows open carry also. so heather and me are on the range breaking in her new gun when she decides to take a break and so i go to use mine. so i un-holster mine, lay it on the tray load my spare magazine and get ready to shoot when suddenly i get called out. they tell me that i'm allowed to open carry, but i'm NOT ALLOWED to take it out WHILE AT THE FIRING LANE. if i want to use it at the range i have to bring it in encased.
apparently somebody shot himself with his own gun while it was in his holster, so now nobody is allowed to use holstered weapons on the range anymore. REALLY??? but it's impossible for somebody to shoot himself or somebody else with an un-holstered gun???

fletchers minimum range distance is 30feet. shooters minimum distance is 20feet. may not sound like alot in some cases, but when you are talking about a difference of a 3" barrel vs. a 5"+ barrel, it can make quite a bit of difference. specially when you have a brand new gun that you are trying to get used to and sight in. so needless to say, the targets didn't look very good for a while.

and it was @#$%ing freezing in there. Heather's hands were turning blue (she's sensitive to cold anyways), and at the end didn't even want to shoot anymore because her hands were so cold and she was shivering, and even i was very chilly. at shooters it was very comfortable on the range and in the store room.

fletchers also doesn't allow the use of WOLF and BEAR ammo on their range, which are two of the brands that heather and me use. so at shooters i can use my own ammo which i can get for as cheap as $0.20 per round, while at fletchers i have to use their ammo which costs me $0.40 per round.

oh and just for @#$%s and giggles i guess..........
at fletchers you can't smoke. at shooters you can. LOL

anyways.......some of it may be an issue, some of it may not be. but overall, between the distance from our house, the friendliness/environment and the cost of the use, i will stick with shooters. even the customers seem friendlier at shooters. the few times i've gone there so far, people have always struck up friendly conversation and just chatted a bit. the few times heather and me went to fletchers just to look around, people always seem to stare me down and look at her like she's in the wrong place or lost.

That's quite a laundry list of Fletcher's deficiencies.

It's a wonder it is still in business.

;)

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Does anyone know of an indoor range in the Appleton/Green Bay area?

There is no indoor public range. A couple of the private clubs have indoor ranges

Nicolet has a heated shooting booth at the 50 yd berm. You can comfortably shoot year around. I can bring a person as a guest. If you want to shoot some time, let me know.

Lurchiron

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Nope...to close to the Nat'l Forest I'd imagine; hard to compete with fresh air & moving(in season of course) targets.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
@davegran----....

if you ever wanna give it a try, let me know. i'll have to ask the wife since it's her, but i'm sure she wouldn't mind us going to the range together and letting you try it out.
That's very generous of you! I'll tell you what; if you come down to Janesville for the Adopt-A-Highway pickup event this Spring, you and your wife could stop by my place afterwards (It's sort of on your way back to Cudahy) and we could shoot at my place out in the country. I'll let you & her try my 1911 and SW99 9mm in exchange for trying out her PX4.

Dave

scorpio_vette

imported post

davegran wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
@davegran----....

That's very generous of you! I'll tell you what; if you come down to Janesville for the Adopt-A-Highway pickup event this Spring, you and your wife could stop by my place afterwards (It's sort of on your way back to Cudahy) and we could shoot at my place out in the country. I'll let you & her try my 1911 and SW99 9mm in exchange for trying out her PX4.

Dave

thanks. "out in the country" huh??? so no cost other than targets, ammo and pickup trash afterwards??? hell if you wanna get together more often, let me know. with the bikes it'll barely cost anything to ride out to whitewater, and it would be more fun being outdoors than at a range.

hit me up via pm if ya want.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:

There is no indoor public range. A couple of the private clubs have indoor ranges

Nicolet has a heated shooting booth at the 50 yd berm. You can comfortably shoot year around. I can bring a person as a guest. If you want to shoot some time, let me know.
It's a nice club...I just joined.:)

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran

Lurchiron

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Lurchiron wrote:
ffemt1079 wrote:
Lurchiron - Love the K-Pot and AT4. I think I saw that squirrel in my yard earlier this week....

That must have been before I seen him...cause his tail is a Mepp's lure by now.

http://www.mepps.com/squirrel_tail_program/
Is that a regulation lure ? :uhoh: don't want the DNR giving you a hard time...:cool:

Yeah sure(nudge, nudge)...that and if you salt their tail(stump)s before you let them loose, it barely affects their turning & jumping abilities :lol:.

http://members.localnet.com/~nickdd/Mr.SQUACKS_0001.wmv