• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks and open carry

Denny

SlowDog

imported post

But he said all 43 states were unloaded open carry. I sent him a very polite email letting him know of his error..:quirky:quirky

SpringerXDacp

imported post

SlowDog wrote:
But he said all 43 states were unloaded open carry. I sent him a very polite email letting him know of his error..:quirky:quirky
Thanks. I voted earlier this morning and noticed that. :X

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

Forty-three states allow citizens to openly wear a handgun in public. State laws vary on whether the handgun must be unloaded.

Unloaded OC is like a spare tire with out the jack, makes no sense!

SpringerXDacp

imported post

CrossPistols wrote:
Forty-three states allow citizens to openly wear a handgun in public. State laws vary on whether the handgun must be unloaded.

Unloaded OC is like a spare tire with out the jack, makes no sense!
True, but when you live in a state (California) where it's the only option available for most folks tocarry, what do you do? Leave the pistol at home or utilize UOC (unloaded open carry) and have a full mag ready to go?

Bronson

imported post

I've thougt about marketing a line of holsters for California with the holster molded around the gun with the slide locked back. It would serve two purposes. 1) LEO could see that the gun was unloaded and not bother the OCer (they currently claim the "right" to check) and 2) remove one step from the loading process thereby making it a little quicker for them.

Bronson

Bronson

imported post

T Vance wrote:
I don't know about you gun and holster, but my GLOCK 23 and Blackhawk Serpaholster allow me to carry it with the slide open if I chose.

I've never tried since I've never needed to, but that's good to know. But I was talking about nice handmade leather holsters that are custom molded to the gun.

Bronson

sasha601

imported post

I wonder if California law has a definition what constitutes a loaded handgun. Would the following scenarios constitute loaded handgun?

1. Magazine fully inserted, but no round in the chamber

2. Magazine partially inserted, just short of being locked in place. Piece of tape at the butt to prevent magazine falling out. No round in chamber

I beleive option number 2 will allow the quickest loading when required

SpringerXDacp

imported post

sasha601 wrote:
I wonder if California law has a definition what constitutes a loaded handgun. Would the following scenarios constitute loaded handgun?

1. Magazine fully inserted, but no round in the chamber Yes

2. Magazine partially inserted, just short of being locked in place. Piece of tape at the butt to prevent magazine falling out. No round in chamber Yes

I beleive option number 2 will allow the quickest loading when required
The loaded magazine can not be in the well, fully or partially, but you can have an empty magazine in the well. Magazines can not be attached in any way shape or form to the pistol. See the California sub-forum for details.

sasha601

imported post

Can magazine be attached via "quick detach" mechanismto the side of the slide or frame, so itis drawn together with the gun, then quickly detached and loaded? I think this is quicker than reaching for a magazine in a separate holster.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

sasha601 wrote:
Can magazine be attached via "quick detach" mechanismto the side of the slide or frame, so itis drawn together with the gun, then quickly detached and loaded? I think this is quicker than reaching for a magazine in a separate holster.
My understanding is that, no, it can not. See my previous post.

Michigander

imported post

sasha601 wrote:
I beleive draw, detach and loading can be done within 2 - 2.5 seconds with training...this lawis so stupid!!!
Screw 2 seconds+. The best way to kali carry, in my opinion, is in a Serpa with the slide locked back. You'd have a great case for a Federal color of law suit if they say they needed to do a 12031 check to make sure it isn't loaded, because clearly it wouldn't be. Also, it could go from holstered and unloaded to loaded and ready in under a second.

I cannot for the life of me understand why so many Californians pretend their guns are loaded by carrying an empty magazine in the mag well.