• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO letter of mutual respect

sevenplusone

imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
Leader wrote:
sevenplusone wrote:
sprinklerguy28 wrote:
This past Sunday I woke up to find my $700 light bar stolen off my work van. I called Clinton Twp police and asked if they could send a car over when available to make a report. About 30 minutes later the officer arrived. I walked out OCing and spoke with him in regards to the stolen property. He asked what I was carrying and if I OCed often. I told him every day I do. He informed me his departments question of the day a few weeks ago was "Is OC legal". To his shock several officers said no. Thankfully it was corrected and they have been retrained on OC. He also stated that they had received a BOLO on me after a previous OC event. I was also told 99% of the officers support my actions in the area and to keep it up. He also asked to invite the department to any future picnics in the area. Most of all I loved that a few of my non supportive neighbors witnessed him and I talking for 30 minutes and ending in a handshake.
:celebrate:monkey

Excellent!!!

For what it's worth, a brief letter to the officer and his immediate supervisor goes a long way. Justsomething short letting them know that you appreciate his professional demeanor and assistance.

When was the last time someone wrote to your boss & told him you did your job?

This officer didn't do ANYTHING that every officer SHOULDN'T do every day.

It says a lot when someone doing what they get paid for is the exception rather then the rule.

Do you ever have a nice meal at a fine dining restaurant and thank your server for excellent service and a compliment to a chef?

Positive feedback is a way to make sure that LEOs know we also see the good that they do and can be a reinforcement that we are not their enemies and in fact when treated accordingly we are on their side and support them.

sevenplusone

imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
Leader wrote:
"Do you ever have a nice meal at a fine dining restaurant and thank your server for excellent service and a compliment to a chef?

Positive feedback is a way to make sure that LEOs know we also see the good that they do and can be a reinforcement that we are not their enemies and in fact when treated accordingly we are on their side and support them."

No.

The inflated tip I am expected to leave does that for me.

The vast majority of people the police deal with treat them nice with the hope it will get them a break. They are guilty of nothing more then a traffic violation if that. Yet we still have cops treating the general public like criminalsand violateing their rights on a daily bases.

Telling the boss that ONE of them did the job he is paid to do isn't going to make any difference at all.

It will make a difference to that one and his boss....maybe some of his buddies around the coffee maker in the morning too.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I guess I'm kinda on the fence with this one. I will say though, if you have a negative encounter with an officer and you think it warrants a complaint, then do so. If you have a positive encounter with an officer, let him or her know that you appreciate his or her professionalism toenforce laws they swore to uphold and not their opinions. Sending letters of appreciation to PD's/Supervisor's may or may not help but it's not going to hurt anything, IMO.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

They are performing ongoing training in regards to OC by having that question. This is what we ask them to do and therefore a thank you is appropriate. Let's make sure to invite them to a dinner/picnic or what not very soon.

Might I suggest National Coney Island at Garfield and 19 Mile (in Clinton township)lets say, Saturday morning (March 6th) for breakfast. This is an alcohol serving establishment though so non-cpls would have to carry holsters.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
They are performing ongoing training in regards to OC by having that question. This is what we ask them to do and therefore a thank you is appropriate. Let's make sure to invite them to a dinner/picnic or what not very soon.

Might I suggest National Coney Island at Garfield and 19 Mile (in Clinton township)lets say, Saturday morning (March 6th) for breakfast. This is an alcohol serving establishment though so non-cpls would have to carry holsters.
What time?

DanM

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
This is an alcohol serving establishment though so non-cpls would have to carry holsters.

To be precise, you meant "non-CPLs can't carry guns in the establishment and would have to carry empty holsters" right? Also, non-CPLs don't have to carry empty holsters, they cancarry nothing at all if they want, right?

I'm just being precise because we have new folks all the time reading, and this area of the law can be tricky. Also, I don't want them to think that they have to carry something, even just an empty holster, when attending an open carry gathering.

Also, can't non-CPL holders open carry in such an establishment if the owner gives permission? If so, I want to make sure this option in the law is made known as well but correct me if I'm wrong.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

DanM wrote:
JeffSayers wrote:
This is an alcohol serving establishment though so non-cpls would have to carry holsters.

To be precise, you meant "non-CPLs can't carry guns in the establishment and would have to carry empty holsters" right? Also, non-CPLs don't have to carry empty holsters, they cancarry nothing at all if they want, right?

I'm just being precise because we have new folks all the time reading, and this area of the law can be tricky. Also, I don't want them to think that they have to carry something, even just an empty holster, when attending an open carry gathering.

Also, can't non-CPL holders open carry in such an establishment if the owner gives permission? If so, I want to make sure this option in the law is made known as well but correct me if I'm wrong.
No you're not wrong. 750.234d, Subsection (2):

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

DanM

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
DanM wrote:

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

Ok, then I think definitely anyone planning an open carry gatheringat a place with a liquor license should let the owner know we need express permission (preferably in writing, recorded, orwith a witness)for our non-CPL brethren to open carry.

If such permission is not forthcoming, move on down the street a little further. Establishments with liquor licenses can be found that will expressly permit all lawful open carry. Our very own sprinklerdude :)did it for the bowling tournament.

ETA: just my opinion.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

DanM wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
DanM wrote:

Ok, then I think definitely anyone planning an open carry gatheringat a place with a liquor license should let the owner know we need express permission (preferably in writing, recorded, orwith a witness)for our non-CPL brethren to open carry.

If such permission is not forthcoming, move on down the street a little further. Establishments with liquor licenses can be found that will expressly permit all lawful open carry. Our very own sprinklerdude :)did it for the bowling tournament.

ETA: just my opinion.
This is already in place. Sprinklerguy28, for example, did this for the Port Huron St. Patrick's day Parade event for March 13th.

Bronson

imported post

I am the first to complain if my service is poor at any business establishment. I am also the first to offer compliments and praise for good or examplary service.

If you're going to bitch when it'swrong you should also praise when it's right.

Neither all negativenor allpositive reinforcement is effective.There needs to be a mix of thetwo methods. I know that for me the negative is a lot easier totake and learn from if there is alsopositive when it is deserved.

Bronson

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

Dan, Springer, thanks for your comments. You are right, I should have been clearer for the benefit of new-comers. If this event happens I will certainly ask for the owner's written permisison forour non-cpl brothers and sisters to be able to provide for their own security and safety. Suggestions for venues in Clinton Township are certainly welcome.

Your suggestion was good Mike, we can always count on the support of the Roseville National Coney Island but I wanted to make this local to our "guests of honor".

As for the time of the event, I am hoping our guests can confirm their availability before proceeding.

Michigander

imported post

There is nothing wrong with sending a proper business type of thank you letter for good service from the cops. It's not something I've ever bothered doing, but it definitely could go a long way towards getting on better and better terms with the police across the state.

It's not something that I feel should be done as often as possible, but it is a perfectly acceptable and common business procedure to thank someone for a good service. It's important to make it a formal letter, and not something scribbled onto lined paper and folded up real small and stuffed into a Christmas card size envelope.

malignity

imported post

Michigander wrote:
There is nothing wrong with sending a proper business type of thank you letter for good service from the cops. It's not something I've ever bothered doing, but it definitely could go a long way towards getting on better and better terms with the police across the state.

It's not something that I feel should be done as often as possible, but it is a perfectly acceptable and common business procedure to thank someone for a good service. It's important to make it a formal letter, and not something scribbled onto lined paper and folded up real small and stuffed into a Christmas card size envelope.

Agreed 100%. I work in a very thankless job as well (a psychiatric hospital), and on the off chance that I do get a genuine thank you about something, it goes a very long way, and makes my job worth while.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

I'm in town until the 8th. Monday. I have to go back to work that day, and that means I won't be back for 5 or 6 weeks, most likely. I'd love to join you folks for breakfast Saturday morning, if we can get a place and time set. Let's make it happen.

tygereye

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
I'm in town until the 8th. Monday. I have to go back to work that day, and that means I won't be back for 5 or 6 weeks, most likely. I'd love to join you folks for breakfast Saturday morning, if we can get a place and time set. Let's make it happen.
+1 I will try to make it as well...