• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

opencarry.org mentioned on Fox News

warthog

imported post

Itannoys me that the photo Foxnews chose to use portrays open carriers as butt-crack flaunting camo-wearing rednecks trying to invade Starbucks. I would have hoped to see a little less stereotyping by the "fair and balanced" news source...

Lurchiron

imported post

warthog wrote:
Itannoys me that the photo Foxnews chose to use portrays open carriers as butt-crack flaunting camo-wearing rednecks trying to invade Starbucks. I would have hoped to see a little less stereotyping by the "fair and balanced" news source...
Hey...leave Scorpio_vette out of this; what did he ever do to you :celebrate.(Joke)

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

warthog wrote:

Well, that butt crack is also on he front page of the Wall Street Journal.

usaftrevor87

imported post

warthog wrote:
Yea I was pretty irritated with that as well. I was also kind of ticked about the word "loose" or "loosely" being used. To me when they say something like "loosely assembled movement"; it sounds like we are a bunch of rebels about to begin our revolt. When we are just exercising our rights as U.S. Citizens.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Yeah this is the part that bothers me:

"according to opencarry.org, which is a loosely organized Web forum for the movement."

To be honest with everyone here, IMHO this doesn't look so good but the fact is, it is true.

We need to be more organized. We need to be able to work together and be more professional on this forum. Everyone is watching and when we bicker back and forth constantly it looks like we are very unorganized.

I wish the creators of this site would create a sub forum. One that is not seen by people that are not members. Then when there is a disagreement it can be taken into the sub forum and discussed there instead of right here in front of God and everybody else.

There are some of us, myself included, that have been very petty when it comes to responding to other peoples comments.

We need to be more aware of how these responses come across to those who may be browsing the site.

Who cares if someone missed a post or misspelled an word like "fire arm" (firearm) or
how many posts they have, or what their job is, or what kind of firearm they carry, coat they wear, car they drive, food they eat, yada yada yada.

We are all brothers (and Sisters)in arms here. At this point and time some very important changes are coming about for our cause ( McDonald, GFSZ Suit). The last thing we need to be doing is be arguing among ourselves and letting these important opportunities slip by because we have become distracted.

Think of it as if you were out OCing. Know your surroundings and what is going on around you.

Some of us here submit postings that may contain matter that others may not understand simply because our work or adult background has found us in an area where"bigger words" are used. We need to remember that this is a forum for all of the general public to view.

Use words that the "general public" can understand. It is the only way we will properly educate them on the issues of gun rights and the inept gun control laws of this state or any other for that matter.

In fairness, for those of you who do not understand what a word means.... Ask!
It is always OK to learn something new.

I have met some very good people on here and I am referring to each and everyone of you. Brass, Glock34, Doug, Lammie, BNH, Hugh Jarmis, Shotgun, MX, Mike, JPierce and the list is just too long to remember everyone at this point. But I am referring to all of you. Everyone here has something valuable to contribute no matter what your personal, political or religious beliefs may be. We can all be different and still work together so with that in mind. Can we please try to be a little more conscious of who may be reading our posts?

I am as guilty as anyone of arguing on here about politics and other things. I am the first to admit that.

we must remember that just because someone disagrees with our views whether they are political, religious or social, it doesn't mean they are wrong and a menace to this forum. If we can't stand strong in this forum, what does that tell the world outside of this forum?

OCDO and WisconsinCarry.org need to show the world that more than anything, we stand strong together in our cause to educate everyone on our 2nd Amendment Rights and all of our other Rights as well. That we will come together and stand up for violations of other peoples Rights. And our voices will be heard! We need to show them that we are not going to stand idly by while our members or even nonmembers get pushed around just like some of the members here did in Sussex ( Bravo to you all, you did us proud).

We as brothers and sisters of the cause and members of two very strong organizations (OCDO/WCI) need to lead this grassroots movement and show our legislators that if they do not want to stand up with us then they are against us and we will campaign with all of our might to have them ousted from office for being violators of our Constitutions.

That means we Pickett in front of their offices and form campaigns to influence voters to not vote for the violators. Lets take all of this energy we use fighting with each other and focus it on fighting the violators of the Constitutions.

What say Brothers (and Sisters)?

Lurchiron

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Yeah this is the part that bothers me:

"according to opencarry.org, which is a loosely organized Web forum for the movement."

To be honest with everyone here, IMHO this doesn't look so good but the fact is, it is true.

We need to be more organized. We need to be able to work together and be more professional on this forum. Everyone is watching and when we bicker back and forth constantly it looks like we are very unorganized.

I wish the creators of this site would create a sub forum. One that is not seen by people that are not members. Then when there is a disagreement it can be taken into the sub forum and discussed there instead of right here in front of God and everybody else.

There are some of us, myself included, that have been very petty when it comes to responding to other peoples comments.

We need to be more aware of how these responses come across to those who may be browsing the site.

Who cares if someone missed a post or misspelled an word like "fire arm" (firearm) or
how many posts they have, or what their job is, or what kind of firearm they carry, coat they wear, car they drive, food they eat, yada yada yada.

We are all brothers (and Sisters)in arms here. At this point and time some very important changes are coming about for our cause ( McDonald, GFSZ Suit). The last thing we need to be doing is be arguing among ourselves and letting these important opportunities slip by because we have become distracted.

Think of it as if you were out OCing. Know your surroundings and what is going on around you.

Some of us here submit postings that may contain matter that others may not understand simply because our work or adult background has found us in an area where"bigger words" are used. We need to remember that this is a forum for all of the general public to view.

Use words that the "general public" can understand. It is the only way we will properly educate them on the issues of gun rights and the inept gun control laws of this state or any other for that matter.

For those of you who do not understand what a word means.... Ask!
It is always OK to learn something new.

I have met some very good people on here and I am referring to each and everyone of you. Brass, Glock34, Doug, Lammie, BNH, Hugh Jarmis, Shotgun, MX, Mike, JPierce and the list is just too long to remember everyone at this point. But I am referring to all of you. Everyone here has something valuable to contribute no matter what your personal, political or religious beliefs may be. We can all be different and still work together so with that in mind. Can we please try to be a little more conscious of who may be reading our posts?

I am as guilty as anyone of arguing on here about politics and other things. I am the first to admit that.

we must remember that just because someone disagrees with our views whether they are political, religious or social, it doesn't mean they are wrong and a menace to this forum. If we can't stand strong in this forum, what does that tell the world outside of this forum?

OCDO and WisconsinCarry.org need to show the world that more than anything, we stand strong together in our cause to educate everyone on our 2nd Amendment Rights and all of our other Rights as well. That we will come together and stand up for violations of other peoples Rights. And our voices will be heard! We need to show them that we are not going to stand idly by while our members or even nonmembers get pushed around just like some of the members here did in Sussex ( Bravo to you all, you did us proud).

We as brothers and sisters of the cause and members of two very strong organizations (OCDO/WCI) need to lead this grassroots movement and show our legislators that if they do not want to stand up with us then they are against us and we will campaign with all of our might to have them ousted from office for being violators of our Constitutions.

That means we Pickett in front of their offices and form campaigns to influence voters to not vote for the violators. Lets take all of this energy we use fighting with each other and focus it on fighting the violators of the Constitutions.

What say Brothers (and Sisters)?
Works for me...now where's that free beer you were talking about :lol::dude::cool:.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

warthog wrote:
In fairness, the media only showed those that were there at the time. Maybe we all need to be more conscious of how we look when going to these events as we already know the media more than likely will show up there. We can only shine a positive light when we act in a positive way.

Besides, I don't see a butt crack at all. Yeah his shirt is up, but at least he isn't violating the law and concealing his firearm.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gleason, for the most part I agree with you, we need more understanding and compassion between members of this site. However we shouldn't spare any of our personality to appease the public who may be browsing the site. The public "sheeple" are the ones who in my opinion stripped us of our rights. I'm 20 and pretty pissed the few generations before me just bent over and took it like a 20 dollar hooker......giving MY rights away. History teaches us, and as we move further into this century we must act and hold our ground not give it up like so many did before. I could go on and on but wont..... for everyone's sake.

I believe in holding your beliefs close you rights closer and your rifle on your back. Only people who have can understand or relate to that statement may be able to accurately understand what our rights are. Yet even those who could understand what I am trying to say still don't understand what we or I mean.

The media sucks...... their analytical unbiased statements are usually full of shit, or just convey the wrong message because nobody there could ever grasp what we are fighting for....

Almost Friday buddy!:D

Ben

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I think that OCDO should create a petition and have all members sign the petition nation wide and submit that petition to Starbucks. I am willing to bet that there would be more signatures than 28,000, that's for sure.

MKEgal

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Maybe we all need to be more conscious of how we look when going to these events as we already know the media more than likely will show up there. We can only shine a positive light when we act in a positive way.
If there are Rambo look-alikes or other people who look less than mainstream, and there
are people in polo shirts & dress shoes, guess who the cameras will focus on? Right or not,
if we want to be accepted as not a lunatic fringe we can't look like bikers or mountain men.

-

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MKEgal wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
Maybe we all need to be more conscious of how we look when going to these events as we already know the media more than likely will show up there. We can only shine a positive light when we act in a positive way.
If there are Rambo look-alikes or other people who look less than mainstream, and there
are people in polo shirts & dress shoes, guess who the cameras will focus on? Right or not,
if we want to be accepted as not a lunatic fringe we can't look like bikers or mountain men.

-
as much as I would like to flame you for that ( I can't flame girls:)) although there is nothing wrong with a nice black leather jacket. I can't you are very correct. We have to dress in acceptable attire , people already see us as wacko's , let's not give them ammunition to use against us & what I mean by that is looking like a drug dealer, militia member or terrorist (( Scorpio, that's not aimed at you :) )) The Media with all of their camera's will be focused on those that look less appealing, then they become the poster boy or girl for the nation wide Open Carry movement...and that's NOT GOOD. Although we want everyone to be free to be themselves, since we are just normal, average American's.

No one is saying you need to wear a Tuxedo or a 3 piece suit...( but it couldn't hurt either ) Nice, pants, Jeans, khaki's...nice shirts / Jackets... short skirts & tank tops are acceptable for the ladies:cool: ( I was Joking ) ...look presentable when you are representing the lot of us.

Remember first impressions are everything...we want to distance our selves from looking like gang bangers , I mean Goblins:D

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

MKEgal wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
If there are Rambo look-alikes or other people who look less than mainstream, and there are people in polo shirts & dress shoes, guess who the cameras will focus on? Right or not, if we want to be accepted as not a lunatic fringe we can't look like bikers or mountain men.
+1 And I learned a new word! My vocabulary has been assayed larger than common dictionaries and I had never before heard of a doula. Thank you.

hunter9mm

imported post

I'm relatively new to OCDO & WCI and have been reading hundreds of posts for a couple of months now and have only posted a few times.

I’m just a regular everyday old guy that feels I needed to belong to a worth-while cause like this to help preserve 2A and learn as much as I can about it.

Seems as though there are a lot of you pretty much like me and I’m happy to be a part of this organization.

This post is particularly interesting to me as it strikes me as a very important issue in the fight to educate “Joe (& Jane) Q. Public to the entire OC process. That said…….

I’d have to agree with a lot of what has been said here…

The media will take the pictures that are available on the scene, and skew the story to fit their own political opinion on that issue. We see that every day in the Urinal/Sentinel here in Milwaukee. If they see someone, anyone that lets them slant the story in the direction they want to go, they WILL take that picture for the article. There could have been a guy 4 feet away in a Tux, think they showed him…

It’s hard to say what they did with a pic of an OC man in a Tux…..

As we continue to be in the “Public Eye” we not only need to always abide by the letter of the OC law, but conduct ourselves in a upright and law abiding light.

I believe that everyone has a right to dress as they want, to be “Who they are” but my humble opinion is …Why give the media anything or any reason to push us into the “Rat hole” most of them would like to keep us in?

I see Nik and the board working hard to keep everything on the up-and-up and they do a great job.

The media is our biggest problem as they love to find the angle that makes their story a “Best Seller” I say we go out of our way to take that away from them. Pretty soon the only thing they’ll have to report on us won’t have any news value and they’ll have to go chase an ambulance somewhere else.

Just my 2 cents worth…

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Dustiniac wrote:
business casual.
Except that means nothing. Levis pressed were argued as business attire. Some people's only taste is in their mouths.

In MarBars I truly enjoy the warning, "He who enters covered here will buy the bar a round of beer!" being applied to the asshat that comes in wearing a ballcap. Sweeet. Notice you never (I've never) see a Sailor try to wear his Dixie-cup into a bar.

It was a pleasure being a senior civilian welcome into 0-Clubs, MarBars, Acey-Deucies and enlisted bars. I don't imagine those exist any more.

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

then should go so far as to say that only dress pants, some kind of button up shirt or polo, dress shoes and dress socks only?