• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are we any closer?

Ranger Tim

imported post

Good morning everyone, New here on the forums, trying to wade thru it all and be as informed as I can. I may have missedany new info, but is Sc. any closer to becoming an OC state? This is an issue that we cannot let die due to the fears of of a select group of people. In the words of John Paul Jones"I have yet begun to fight!" Now is the time. Commanders always keep a little something in reserve for when they need it the most. Now we need to stand up for our rights and not be so reserved, speak out and let everyone know that we are serious and will no go quietly:exclaim:

Have a great day, be safe out there:)

You are your own protection

hp-hobo

imported post

Ranger Tim,

Welcome to the forum.

H.3003 was filed for this session in December 2008 and at this time no action has been taken on it. The GrassRoots GunRights analysis of the bill shows that as written we would have to give up something (to much) to get something, which is unacceptable. See the link for explanation and recommended ammendments.

http://scfirearms.org/Legislative/H3003.html

H.3994 and H.4112 are the bills that are currently being considered.

http://scfirearms.org/Legislative/H3994.html

http://www.scfirearms.org/Legislative/H4112.html

The best way to stay abreast of all firearms related legislative action in South Carolina is to become a member of GRGR and also to join the list serve. I hope to see you as a fellow member soon.

http://www.scfirearms.org/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scfirearms/

taipan888

imported post

I too surely would like to see the great state of South Carolina have open carry. Much easier. I am unsure why it is such a fight here when this is one of the most gun friendly states in the union.

There has been research done by Dr. John Lott that shows concealed carry actually reduces crime more since bad guys do not know who is carrying and who is not.

But that aside, I prefer to have open carry because it is so much easier and faster, and normalizes the view of it. In the few ways you can open carry in South Carolina, (too and from your home to your car, to and from your car to a shooting range, or while on a hunt with a license), no one ever seems disturbed by it down here.

But I would prefer to carry open at all times because I drive a small sports car and cross draw is hard and uncomfortable unless you have a lot of space.

CCW approved applications have exploded down here as I frequent the local gun establishment and spend much time with the owner.

We need more ranges and general marksmanship courses. My classes are full constantly and the more people learn and practice, the better off they shall be. Many of my classes are full of women folk tired of being victims of ex-boyfriends, husbands, or various other trouble makers. Restraining orders are fine, but oddly bullets and knives go right through these papers. Wink. They must learn to be aware, draw, and fire accurately and effectively until the threat is stopped in a situation that warrants lethal defense.

I am a member of Grassroots and they try hard to persuade the pols in Columbia to pay attention. Open carry would be a fantastic law to see pass, even in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol as long as we do not drink. I hate going out to dinner and having to be disarmed. If I don't drink...I should be able to carry concealed or openly.

Nuff said.

Myrtle Beach, SC

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

South Carolina will never get legal open carry while the NRA profits from sale of exceptions to infringements to our RKABA.

How many NRA - SC CWP instructors certify for free? Does the NRA training counselor still teach that fees are essential pedagogic principles for impressing the student with the lessons?

AngelMaker

imported post

I don't think the NRA has a thing to do with blocking SC and H3003. Sure, they make a small profit on instructors for license renewals but the big bread winner here isn't the NRA, its the CWP Program itself. $50 dollars every four years breaks down to $12.50 a year, times that number by the many, many thousands of SC residents that have a permit and that adds up to a nice little chunck of change. CWP instructors may be plentiful, but the number of people with permits vrs the number of NRA trained instructors are miles apart.

The NRA charges instructors $36 dollars for ever 3 years years for their permit and SLED charges $100 every 3 years for theirs.

If anyone is blocking H3003, it would be SC and not the NRA as SC would lose alot of money by allowing open carry.

This is only my personal opinion.

hp-hobo

imported post

I wouldn't personally say that the NRA is blocking the legislation, but can you tellus something they've done to help get H.3003 fixed and passed? Anything at all?

Brimstone

imported post

I travel the entire US for my job and I can carry in almost every non-communist state. It is quite frustrating that I don't even have an OC option in SC since I grew up there and my family is there. Keep up the good fight.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Just an idea, but why can't legislation be filed so that a CWP would become just a WP? Oklahoma is about to gain open carry in that fashion. Granted, it's "LICENSED" open carry however it is a step forward from the current situation where it is almost completely banned.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Gray Peterson wrote:
Just an idea, but why can't legislation be filed so that a CWP would become just a WP?
Two reasons in particular in SC, SC Statute prohibits OC and the NRA...
Oklahoma statute prohibited OC too. That's being fixed in that state. Why can't new legislature be introduced here?

AngelMaker

imported post

Ok.....I have emailed everyone in the House again and no replies as of yet. Will keep everyone posted if I DO hear anything.

armyman29340

imported post

"There has been research done by Dr. John Lott that shows concealed carry actually reduces crime more since bad guys do not know who is carrying and who is not."

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is incorrect. While the research happened, it is not right. I drive a Taxi, and deal with the lowest form of life on the planet (other that polititians), and those who are committing the crimes do not even think about "who is or is not armed". They see no weapon, they ASSUME that you are not. Thats why, in Gaffney where I live, there are shootings and robberies every day.

And as for who is blocking the legislation? The chairman of the Judiciary Committee is blocking it. He has scheduled NO ACTION on that bill in nearly two years. Why?

No phone calls.

I've been fighting this situation since the bill was introduced, and even have a "promise" that his office will call me if action is scheduled. His plan is to allow it to die in committee.

And unless there is a DRASTRIC phone call surge...thats what will happen.

I know the bill is FAR from perfect, but it's more than we have now. If we can fight and get it passed, we can fight and get it fixed.

o-Marine-o

I was just bout to ask about OC in SC, glad I found this post....sucks to see it though, I just took my CWP class last week and sending off my forms next week when I get my fingerprints done...

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
The standard of instruction in a CWP class must be failing.

Your instructor didn't even mention Title 16, Chapter 23, Section 20, "Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions. It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:"?

Gunslinger

For being so "gun friendly," I am amazed that SC doesn't have CC reciprocity with other 'gun friendly' states. CO being a good example. We extend reciprocity to any state that honors our permits. SC does not.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
SC Reciprocity with other states is a football for the GOSC/NRA and their gallus-snappers. This ball is in constant play with the usual boot being SLED's determination of training equivalency. SC used to require - I've been gone from SC since 2005 - a minimum of eight hours instruction from a SLED approved lesson plan. It was so rigorously enforced in the early days that my instructor documented ten hours for the class (of four) that I was in.