Thread: Uptick in visitors

Post imported post

I've noticed a large amount of new posts by folks who are new here. This is probably because of the recent visibility over the Starbucks controversy.

We all owe the Brady campaign a huge thanks for increasing the interest in our cause.

I have also noted some of our members replying to these new visitors by being overly sensitive (IMHO), argumentative, and generally downright "smartalecky".

[SARCASM]This made me think to myself, "What a wonderful way to treat someone who decides to participate in a discussion. Let's try our best to alienate them and make the Brady's seem friendly in comparison."

Whenever I encounter someone who says, "I agree with the Second Amendment and all, but......." the first thing I do is berate and belittle them. That'll show em'![/SARCASM]

I fully expect new people to take an interest in our cause, now more than ever.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I personally am going to do my best to befriend and treat these visitors with respect and dignity. Even though they might come off as naive and uncomprehending of a right we are serious about, I am going to personally do my best to provide education, friendship and cameraderie in order to persuade them to join us in our serious cause. I will never belittle them in order to appear superior and possibly drive them away.

Post imported post

:celebrate

Post imported post

I agree, new visitors should be treated with respect and civility unless it becomes abundantly clear that they are simply here to deride us. Then they should just be removed or have the thread locked.

Post imported post

It's because some people are protective of their coffee in the morning as some of us of our firearms.

Post imported post

I agree 100%. Superlite, thanks for posting this.

Especially when you are participating in the Hot Topics forum. It's very easy to forget (if you even ever realized) that the main OCDO page (opencarry.org) has a section devoted to hot links directly to the first few threads in the Hot Topics forum.

New visitors to OCDO, driven by links in news articles, are likely to get their first experience with these forums in that Hot Topics section.

It does not help anyone, either we in the OC movement, who always need new members, or visitors, who may be just genuinely interested in the subject, and looking for answers, if we treat them with less than full respect.

Now as noted, there are going to be trolls, and once identified, then sure, lets usher them along on their way. But just keep in mind that every one of us had a first post at one time or another.

JMHO... I speak for nobody but me.

TFred

Post imported post

Is it still OK to use my trusty troll spray, if warranted?

Post imported post

Lots and lots of low post-count newbies this week. I agree to not be too hard on them early on.

Wait! I'm just a paranoid gun owner conspiracy theorist!

Mike, John; how did you orchestrate this with your buddies at the local Starbucks?
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Post imported post

we need to remove peoples post count scores. Some people on here will just look at a post count and pre judge the person as a troll
    Freedom isn't free, but this is America! We will find a way to outsource it and save some money - Jeremy

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
    we need to remove peoples post count scores. Some people on here will just look at a post count and pre judge the person as a troll
    I heartily agree!

Post imported post

Exactly. Doug is the biggest troll on the board!
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Post imported post

But what about their "Joined" date?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post imported post

You couldn't see this fella from a mile away ?

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/39435.html

Post imported post

Carnivore wrote:
    You couldn't see this fella from a mile away ?

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/39435.html
    i could smell him in two sentences!
    lots of new folks lately,, but we were all new once!
    i take them at face value,, they will prove out good,,, or show their anti antagonism in due coarse!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!