• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Uptick in visitors

Superlite27

imported post

I've noticed a large amount of new posts by folks who are new here. This is probably because of the recent visibility over the Starbucks controversy.

We all owe the Brady campaign a huge thanks for increasing the interest in our cause.

I have also noted some of our members replying to these new visitors by being overly sensitive (IMHO), argumentative, and generally downright "smartalecky".

[SARCASM]This made me think to myself, "What a wonderful way to treat someone who decides to participate in a discussion. Let's try our best to alienate them and make the Brady's seem friendly in comparison."

Whenever I encounter someone who says, "I agree with the Second Amendment and all, but......." the first thing I do is berate and belittle them. That'll show em'![/SARCASM]

I fully expect new people to take an interest in our cause, now more than ever.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I personally am going to do my best to befriend and treat these visitors with respect and dignity. Even though they might come off as naive and uncomprehending of a right we are serious about, I am going to personally do my best to provide education, friendship and cameraderie in order to persuade them to join us in our serious cause. I will never belittle them in order to appear superior and possibly drive them away.

CarryOpen

imported post

I agree, new visitors should be treated with respect and civility unless it becomes abundantly clear that they are simply here to deride us. Then they should just be removed or have the thread locked.

Pace

imported post

It's because some people are protective of their coffee in the morning as some of us of our firearms.

TFred

imported post

I agree 100%. Superlite, thanks for posting this.

Especially when you are participating in the Hot Topics forum. It's very easy to forget (if you even ever realized) that the main OCDO page (opencarry.org) has a section devoted to hot links directly to the first few threads in the Hot Topics forum.

New visitors to OCDO, driven by links in news articles, are likely to get their first experience with these forums in that Hot Topics section.

It does not help anyone, either we in the OC movement, who always need new members, or visitors, who may be just genuinely interested in the subject, and looking for answers, if we treat them with less than full respect.

Now as noted, there are going to be trolls, and once identified, then sure, lets usher them along on their way. But just keep in mind that every one of us had a first post at one time or another.

JMHO... I speak for nobody but me. :)

TFred

riverrat10k

imported post

Lots and lots of low post-count newbies this week. I agree to not be too hard on them early on.

Wait! I'm just a paranoid gun owner conspiracy theorist!

Mike, John; how did you orchestrate this with your buddies at the local Starbucks?:lol:

jeremy05

imported post

we need to remove peoples post count scores. Some people on here will just look at a post count and pre judge the person as a troll