• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WSJ video on Seattle Starbucks protest by anti-gun rights groups

cscitney87

imported post

That was okay. Screaming it's in the Constitution should be ALL that's needed to be said but unfortunately I wish the reporter had filmed a calm, cool, and collected OCer while in the midst of educating another. A few times I did just wanna shout- YOU COULD JUST AS EASILY DIE FROM A WOODEN COFFEE STIRRER TO THE NECK!!! If someone wants to kill you they will kill you-- a gun gives you the benefit of some distance- but when in a tiny Starbucks the distance isn't a huge factor anyway.

I hate that children are put in the middle of this grown-ups only debate. This is a politically heated discussion for adults. I think it's disgusting to see children with any picket signs in their hands at all- go climb a tree- catch some frogs- play soccer...

Unless the child's picket sign was Pro Carry of course ;) ;)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
That was okay. Screaming it's in the Constitution should be ALL that's needed to be said but unfortunately I wish the reporter had filmed a calm, cool, and collected OCer while in the midst of educating another.
Yeah, it's great that open carriers attended, but it's not effective to act emotional - calm, cool, logical is the way to appear in interviews.

PacWest

imported post

Yeah I drank a pot of coffee before I went then drank some Starbucks.

There was a lot of footage that was left out. I was being interviewed by kiro 7 when I was hoarded around by 5 other cameras. With libtard news reporters asking multiple questions.

The truth is the part of me in the WSJ wasn't the one on one interview I had with Nick Wingfield. I guess that part wasn't good for tv.

Remember who we are dealing with here. If it wasn't for clever editing and spin there wouldn't of been any thing for the news.

cscitney87

imported post

Oh I completely understand that. The spin doctors were busy discrediting the open carry movement by carefully crafting these clips of screaming and butt cracks hanging out. It's still not okay to raise your voice like that when responding to 1 question or 50 questions at a time. If they can't hear you- they'll shush up. Raising your voice only raises the tension/stress level/alertness, etc. You don't need to be branded as "extreme" or "intense" or worse have someone suggest your rage will be channeled through your firearm and cause injury.

craigm

imported post

If our guns are so terrifying and every argument is going to turn into a murder, why are they so willing to stick around when the armed patrons stop by for coffee?

cscitney87

imported post

craigm wrote:
If our guns are so terrifying and every argument is going to turn into a murder, why are they so willing to stick around when the armed patrons stop by for coffee?
It was a very public place.. there were cameras.. maybe officers of the law, maybe not-

They are afraid of 1 on 1 encounters in dark parking lots.. Afraid of 1 on 1s where there aren't any cameras.. Aren't any other people. That's why they were not intimidated by the open carry of weapons at the moment. Otherwise- they seem deathly afraid of the situation you described.

Batousaii

imported post

heya,

- Well i was there there, and to be honest, except for the few shouts from the actual counter protesters, it was pretty tame and well mannered. The media is of course centering on the small handful of shouts, and the guy in the NRA hat that was a bit "energetic" about his message. The OC crowd that was there was incredibly tame, above and beyond the rest. So hats off and kudos to my fellow OCers for their civil and social grace in the face of the oppositions lies and hysterics. Unfortunately most cannot discern the different pro-gun groups that were there, and will lump us all together. Where as we (as different groups) may have the same goal of second amendment freedom, we definitely have a very different approach, and today, for those that could define the different groups, it stood out, at one point, an open carrier evenasking one of the pro-gun counter-protesters, not to interrupt them when they are speaking because it is rude and looks bad on our part. I was impressed, and it felt good to be associated with the one group that really had their cool demeanor in check.

Thank you all, it really was a good event, especially for us. I was proud to be there with you guys.

:dude:Bat

44Brent

imported post

Think of how far we have come in the last three years. Three years ago, people were worried about getting falsely arrested by the Seattle PD, and were fighting a battle to inform the PD about what is legal versus what is illegal.

Now, OCers are showing up at news conferences where the gun prohibitionists are there for the espresso purpose of denouncing OCers who drink coffee at Starbucks.

Now, that's progress. When you have people OCing their single action cowboy revolvers in down town Seattle and making it on to the news, that's a sign that the gun prohibitionists have been licked.

The gun prohibitionists just gave OCers to spread their message of freedom.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

44Brent wrote:
Think of how far we have come in the last three years. Three years ago, people were worried about getting falsely arrested by the Seattle PD, and were fighting a battle to inform the PD about what is legal versus what is illegal.

Now, OCers are showing up at news conferences where the gun prohibitionists are there for the espresso purpose of denouncing OCers who drink coffee at Starbucks.

Now, that's progress. When you have people OCing their single action cowboy revolvers in down town Seattle and making it on to the news, that's a sign that the gun prohibitionists have been licked.

The gun prohibitionists just gave OCers to spread their message of freedom.
+1 Very true.

PoppaGary

imported post

I just hope Starbucks doesn't get tired of all the anti-gun protests and give in to them.

There was a small sidebar article in today's Columbian and it made it seem like this all started when we came around carring guns.

I left her a VM that there were no problems UNTIL the anti-gun groups wanted to make it a big deal and suggested they do a little more research. Probably won't happen, but not going to let them get the details wrong.

Gary

PacWest

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Oh I completely understand that. The spin doctors were busy discrediting the open carry movement by carefully crafting these clips of screaming and butt cracks hanging out. It's still not okay to raise your voice like that when responding to 1 question or 50 questions at a time. If they can't hear you- they'll shush up. Raising your voice only raises the tension/stress level/alertness, etc. You don't need to be branded as "extreme" or "intense" or worse have someone suggest your rage will be channeled through your firearm and cause injury.

Sorry if I wasn't your model spokesmen but I wasn't repping oc.org. Yeah it may have seemed like I was "raising" my voice. I have hearing loss I have a problem regulating my volume of my voice.

I don't know how many political protests you have been to but you sound like you haven't been to many. There are two types that go those that are vocal and those who are props. I have been both. If you have a fear of being labled one should stay home and cower under their bed with a blankie.

A few people shook my hand and thanked me. One older gentleman that stood next to me and listened to very thing Isaid in the interview and told me I did good and liked my answers.

You can monday morning quarterback all you want but you were not there I hope your thumb didn't get to water logged while you rubbed your blankie.

cscitney87

imported post

Oh no problems, friend. I've been to political rallies in the numbers topping "a few dozen." I've been in the hot seat. The hot potato. On the grill. Whatever you want to describe as being under pressure from cameras and people with microphones.

"Sorry if I wasn't your model spokesmen but I wasn't repping oc.org."

You are indeed representing Open Carry as Open Carry is a Verb and is an Action- not a Noun or Person/Place/Thing. Sorry but you are representing You as the Noun and Open Carry as the Verb or Action that you consciously partook upon.

OC.ORG is not "representable" as you would have it. Rather, we are a community of citizens dedicated to supporting the open carry method of bearing arms. Sorry, but you could never Be The model spokesman for OC.ORG as None of us are individually.

We all are.

cscitney87

imported post

PacWest wrote:
If you have a fear of being labled one should stay home and cower under their bed with a blankie.

You can monday morning quarterback all you want but you were not there I hope your thumb didn't get to water logged while you rubbed your blankie.
I would like to say that I have NEVER put you down. If you feel uncomfortable with what I have to say- so be it. I have never called you a baby, as you would have it with your blanket statement. Nobody ever called you a nutjob or a wacko. I never said you were out of line or anything. I only ever suggested the thoughts of others and we conversed of the benefits of caffeine in coffee. The picture is pretty funny.

I'm sorry to hear about your hearing issue- that being said- raising your voice when inappropriate is still not acceptable. I'm not the police- nor your mother- nor your father- and I don't care to tell you what to do.

I was simply stating that you were perfectly audible as you began to speak and when you finished speaking- the level of your voice was loud and probably unnecessary. If you feel like you need to yell over the rest of the crowd- you are yelling over the rest of the crowd. That's what it is.

Are you saying you Did yell really loud on purpose because it was loud? Or are you saying you have a problem controlling the level of your voice? Either way- you were unnecessarily loud when declaring that the Constitution is your argument for openly carrying a pistol. You have other options.

But I do not personally care. It's just a point of view. You can yell as loud as you want- I guess- it was the middle of the day after all. It's a 1st Amendment thing.

cscitney87

imported post

"A few people shook my hand and thanked me. One older gentleman that stood next to me and listened to very thing Isaid in the interview and told me I did good and liked my answers."

That's fine. We are simply discussing the REPORT from the WSJ which is the TOPIC of the discussion. As stated in the beginning of the thread, we know there is spin in the report. We know the video journalism is slanted and you were made out to look like a nut. That's great. Doesn't change the fact that the video shows you - screaming Constitution- as your argument to Open Carry. The next clip is literally a butt crack and a pistol. That sucks. That's all we're saying.

PacWest

imported post

That was my friend. Though WSJ showed the full monte the other local new agencys did not. Most of the pic that went national of him is just of his Colt 1911 or him with his daughters. I also feel he was shown in a better light in his interviews even with the butt crack photo. My voice may have been elevated but I was not screaming. Turn down your speakers. :D And if you listen to what I said I wasn't taking about OCing. I was talking about CCing.

The reporter had a camcorder and truth be told I didn't see him. What he captured was when I the other interviews where ending.

When I talked to him 1 on 1 I was alot calmer. But like I said I must not of said anything that would of suited their spin.