Thread: Dumb Cop

Post imported post

I had a Steuben County Sheriff tell me that he didn't care that I have a PPP, that if he pulled me over and I had my weapon on me he would find a reason to put me in jail. Any thoughts on how to handle this??

Post imported post

First off what is a "PPP"?

If you have a LTCH your good to go. If you do not then you can not legally transport a firearm in your vehicle, with a few exceptions. Being good to go doesn't necessarily mean that this officer won't try and find a way to hem you up.

I think the best thing you could do is file a formal complaint with the sheriff's office. This way his behaviour is recorded.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Post imported post

Get it on audio or print then you've got something. Ask him about his oath to uphold and defend the Constitution while you're at it. Vote him out at the next opportunity.

Post imported post

A PPP is a Personal Protection Permit, we did away with the C&C.

Post imported post

Thanks smn

Post imported post

Lex1967 wrote:
    A PPP is a Personal Protection Permit, we did away with the C&C.
    What state is that from? IN has a LTCH, it says by your avatar your from IN. If your a resident of IN you have to have the IN LTCH.

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

Post imported post

Steuben County calls it a PPP. That is strait from the Sheriff himself. That is why we can open carry, that is the way the statute was written.

Post imported post

Lex1967 wrote:
    Steuben County calls it a PPP. That is strait from the Sheriff himself. That is why we can open carry, that is the way the statute was written.
    The Sheriff is calling it the wrong thing, look on the card top center. License to Carry Handgun. That is what it's called in the Indiana code.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar47/ch2.html

Personal protection permit does not show up anywhere. There are two types of LTCH a qualified which is issued for hunting and target shooting, and an unlimited which is issued for protection of life and property.

McX

Post imported post

letter to the chief, get a response, copy it and provide a copy of it to the cop who told 'what it was', straighten out the problem before it starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex1967 View Post
    I had a Steuben County Sheriff tell me that he didn't care that I have a PPP, that if he pulled me over and I had my weapon on me he would find a reason to put me in jail. Any thoughts on how to handle this??

Correct Response: " Well you could do that sir but you would not only be breaking state law but you would also be violating my 2A rights and my fundamental civil rights to defend myself."

I would also follow up with something to defuse the situation like "I know you guys do a great job but I also know that you cannot be everywhere at once. If the lives of my family are in danger I am comforted knowing I have an option to try to keep harm from coming to them. I would hope that if I ever had to come to the aid of your family that you would be thankful that I had my firearm on me sir."

Oh haha yah you could also say "well I would never carry a gun with a PPP since there is no such thing...but whatever...."
    Last edited by Savage206; 05-11-2011 at 09:33 PM.

... Because only He is Professional Enough to protect you 24/7, even when he's no where around when you need him?

Dont be afraid to carry. If your legal, he can do nothing about it. how did this come up in conversation?

Why do I get the feeling this was a troll post.

what drew his attention to you in the first place?

I did some research involving the Indiana licensing requirements. " Pretty easy and very effective I might add". During my studies, I visited with the Indiana DPS folks several times. One of them I remember well. He actaully came from Colorado and commented on the crime reduction when Colorada loosened up their carry laws.
    I think I would make note of that Sheriff and call the State DPS about that jerk. From what I noticed, your state doesnt share the same opinion as that jerkwad does.
    If you can record his Natzi comments , send that to the DPS as well.