• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting Ready for Open Carry

zach

imported post

29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.
A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

zach

imported post

GW, sorry to detract from your original post....

Here is the CR Ordinance

9.04.165 Open carry of firearms. It is unlawful for any person, except law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties, to openly carry a firearm in any Town-owned or -operated building, or on any Town-owned or -operated park, recreation area or property upon which the Town Manager has directed to be posted a notification that the carrying of firearms is prohibited. (Ord. 2003-41 §1, 2003)

Oh yeah, I'm only about 1/4 way through your thread on pinecam. Wow....:banghead:

Suburban78

imported post

Pinecam is a joke! I also live in conifer and have never had Any problem oc'ing. I have recived a few hateful looks from people but I don't care. My wife works for park county 911 so I know all the park officers and CHP. I OC all over Littleton also and never had an issue. I was asked to leave Walmart about a week ago but after talking with the manager was able to continue shoping. I have talked to a few Littleton officers while armed and never had any negitive comments. Carry on!

Augustin

imported post

gw80421 wrote:
A digital recorder sounds like a really good idea.
A few quick tips regarding use of recorders...

MP3 players have built-in voice recorders and are a better choice than a pocket tape recorder because they are small and discrete. Also, most MP3s allow for verylengthy recording times.

If the MP3 is attached to your person and combined with headphones (worn around your neck) the cop might think it is just for music and may not realize the device is also arecorder. Having the recorder hands-free is best in case you are handcuffed while being detained.Most MP3 players have a clip which allows for quickly attaching the player to your shirt or jacket, but a neck lanyard is probably the best arrangement.

Be sure to use an MP3 model that doesn't require scrolling through several menus to find the record mode. It sould be easy to activate.

Also, be sure to start the record mode as early as possible, hopefully BEFORE any contact with the police. If you reach into your pocket after you are already being detained, you probably won't be allowed to retreive it. The cops do have the right to restrict you from putting your hands into your pockets.

If this happens, inform the officer that you want a statement of reasonable suspicion as to why you are being detained "for the court record" and ask for permission to remove your recording device to document his statement. Continue to insist on recording a statement of probable cause before answering any questions.

Most states have a stop and identify statutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_Identify_statutes

Fortunately, Montana's Investigative Stop and frisk law actually REQUIRES the police to privice a statement "as promptly as possible":

"If the stop is for a violation under Title 61, unless emergency circumstances exist or the officer has reasonable cause to fear for the officer's own safety or for the public's safety, the officer shall as promptly as possible inform the person of the reason for the stop."

Colorado'slaw reads:

(1) A peace officer may stop any person who he reasonably suspects is committing, has committed, or is about to commit a crime and may require him to give his name and address, identification if available, and an explanation of his actions. A peace officer shall not require any person who is stopped pursuant to this section to produce or divulge such person's social security number. The stopping shall not constitute an arrest.

(2) When a peace officer has stopped a person for questioning pursuant to this section and reasonably suspects that his personal safety requires it, he may conduct a pat-down search of that person for weapons.

Flyer22

imported post

zach wrote:
GW, sorry to detract from your original post....

Here is the CR Ordinance

9.04.165 Open carry of firearms. It is unlawful for any person, except law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties, to openly carry a firearm in any Town-owned or -operated building, or on any Town-owned or -operated park, recreation area or property upon which the Town Manager has directed to be posted a notification that the carrying of firearms is prohibited. (Ord. 2003-41 §1, 2003)

Oh yeah, I'm only about 1/4 way through your thread on pinecam. Wow....:banghead:

I just noticed something. . . .

"upon which the Town Manager has directed to be posted"--That snippet is technically useless understate law. The state law has two components: prohibition ofOCand posting of signs, both of which are necessary for the prohibition to be valid. A "direction" to post signs has nomeaning in this case.

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

Regarding the voice recorders.....

It might be a good idea to get one that has plenty of recording time and whenever you are out in public you just have it on....that way, if you do have a LEO encounter (especially if they catch you "by surprise") you already have your recorder going and don't have to reach for or fumble with anything.