Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Felony Conviction 13 years ago for 3rd DWI - Will I Ever Get My Right To Carry Back?

Post imported post

Hello all,

I'll get right to it....

13 Years ago - when I was 21 - I was convicted of my 3rd DWI which is a felony. I did serve some time for that, but I have not had any altercations with the wrong side of the law since. Its the epitome of - young and dumb. I have absolutely no violent criminal history. Especially anything pertaining to guns. It was only alcohol related and as I said - 13 years ago. Nothing since.

Moving on... I grew up with guns and have always had great respect for them and gun safety. I would like nothing more than to be able to regain my rights to carry a firearm. I have done some research into the matter and posted on different forums trying to determine/discover if there is any way possible to make this happen.

If you have any information that could help me I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Post imported post

This is a great example of what happens when the government says that felony=no guns without respect to the circumstances. What happens when they decide it's a felony to drive over 55mph? When they decide it's a felony to use foul language?

DISABLING OF RIGHTS WITHOUT SPECIFIC DUE PROCESS IS BS!

In any case; I think you will have to get in touch with your governor. I believe the procedure is something like "petition for restoration of rights" and I believe the governor has sole discretion on whether to expunge this from your record or restore the rights.

Someone else who knows more about this may come along and lend some insight.

R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

You can often ask for your crime to be changed from a felony to something else, or removed from the record, sometimes a call to the DA from there they will do it, or you can petition thruogh courts also.

Post imported post

This may vary from state to state, but I believe some felony classes allow for your civil rights to be reinstated. My step-brother is going through this mess at the moment for something dumb he did and because of the class of the felony (I think it was a class "A"). I believe it is class "C" felonies that do not allow you to have your rights reinstated.

I don't know if there are any specific time-lines for this, but it's at least worth checking out. Pop on down to the local lawyer's office and see what they say. Worst that can happen is they just reaffirm what you already know.

Post imported post

I agree completely. It has no relevance to what I did. I quietly and willing paid the price for that but a lifelong punishment seems hardly fit for what I did.

I appreciate all the replies thus far. I believe I will contact the DA in my county (Harris County in Texas) and see what they say. I will also do some more research on "petition for restoration of rights" (thank you Brass Magnet).

I will post any new info I get as a reply to this topic for others who may be interested (onlurker).

Thank you again.

Post imported post

personally If you get a DUI, which pretty much means that you have very very poor decision making capabilities, you should not be in possession of a firearm either. I haven't given much thought to how long the time should be, but 3rd DUI?? yeah forever seems fitting.

Personally you should still be in jail if it was up to me.
    Freedom isn't free, but this is America! We will find a way to outsource it and save some money - Jeremy

Post imported post

Well we're all entitled to our opinions - but good thing its not up to you. And with that frame of mind and attitude I don't feel you demonstrate any better judgment or "decision making capabilities" than that which you "preach" against.

It was a long time ago and there were other factors involved that aren't relevant to this forum (which is why I didn't go into detail).

Post imported post

I had my father maimed for life by a drunk driver, only God has the right to eternal vengeance, too.I feel first offense drunk driving youmust have the breathelyzer ignition on your vehicle for ten years, no alternative. Second offense, you lose lisence for 25 years. Third is life.

Nonetheless, you did the time for the crime; your gun rights should be restored(I understand why voting and jury duty is taken from felons).

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Post imported post

Im not saying I never did anything dumb when i was young, but THIRD DWI! Give me a break. I have never done anything that I could be arrested for, I have the Polygraphs to prove this. Most people make mistakes when they are young, but they dont make the same one two more time in a row. This guy had no respect for anyones life, but his own. He is DAMN LUCKY he didnt kill anyone.

First of all it was his THIRD DWI!!!!!!!! That means it was his THIRD time GETTING CAUGHT, I highly doubt he only drove drunk three times, only that he got caught three times.

You are right its not up to me, I dont have any respect for people who drink and drive. It shows you have no respect for anyone else.
    Freedom isn't free, but this is America! We will find a way to outsource it and save some money - Jeremy

Post imported post

I guess having firearm rights restored is fair, although it goes against all I've ever preached under these circumstances, but Maybe you should have to peddal a bike the rest of your life, Now if you were given a choice, which would you choose?

Post imported post

My local mom and pop gun store has several customers that are convicted felons. They simply buy and carry black powder guns. They are not considered firearms.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

In Illinois they are . Then again , Gamo air rifles are treated the same way also.

Post imported post

Was anyone hurt in any of your DWI incidents?

What were the "circumstances"....because having worked accident scenes as an EMT....I'm curious how your third time getting caught could be caused by another party.

Post imported post

I firmly believe that convicted felons should NEVER have their guns rights restored if they intentionally (with malice and aforethought) broke the law.

Sorry partner. You KNOWINGLY drove drunk and were caught THREE TIMES! You should never be able to possess a firearm again.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    I firmly believe that convicted felons should NEVER have their guns rights restored if they intentionally (with malice and aforethought) broke the law.

Sorry partner. You KNOWINGLY drove drunk and were caught THREE TIMES! You should never be able to possess a firearm again.
    I agree with Brass Magnet. When they make any law breaking a felony they will have all the guns except the one's in the hands of the real criminals.

ODA, everyone has broken a law, no matter how slight, even you. When they lower the bar of what constitutes a felony we will all be felons.

The only felons that should be stripped of their rights are violent felons. Armed robbery, murder, after 2-3 assault charges, and possibly stalking (we know how a lot of these turn out), but then these guys are going to get them anyway.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:

Must be nice to have born with all the proper guidance and leadership, that helped you to make all the right decisions, every single time in your whole life, wow!No sarcasm implied either, I truly mean WOW!

Post imported post

I disagree. I think that only violent felons should lose their gun rights. If an accountant at a public company gets fried for violating the Sarbanes-Oxley reporting act (inaccurate books), I do not think that makes him a danger to us all if he goes pheasant hunting or carries a gun for self defense.

Post imported post

Pagan wrote:
    ODA 226 wrote:

Must be nice to have born with all the proper guidance and leadership, that helped you to make all the right decisions, every single time in your whole life, wow!No sarcasm implied either, I truly mean WOW!
    People need proper guidance and leadership so as not to commit FELONYS? I sure hope not.

Post imported post

Pagan wrote:
    ODA 226 wrote:

And evidently, you've never had to tell a father his wife and baby daughter were hit and killed by a drunk driver.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    Pagan wrote:
    ODA 226 wrote:

And evidently, you've never had to tell a father his wife and baby daughter were hit and killed by a drunk driver.
    Evidently, you've never had to tell a mother and father that their son was killed and unable to defend himself because the state took away his "privilege" to do so in light of something that happened years ago. Not to mention that something had nothing what soever to do with violent behavior or firearms.

It works both ways. Don't let emotion into it, that's the problem. Look at the black and white. If you did the time your free. The fact that the time may not be enough to fit the crime is a problem with our justice system, not a problem with our rights.

Also, as has been said before, the government only needs to lower the bar of what is considered a felony to disarm ALL of us.

R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
    Pagan wrote:
    ODA 226 wrote:

People need proper guidance and leadership so as not to commit FELONYS? I sure hope not.
    A person could easily be raised in or have lived in an enviroment, where the basic knowledge of what constitues a felony was never taught. Are you suggesting that a person is born with a basic concept of felonious behavior? With a myriad of "crimes" listed as felonies, which do not involve actually causing physical injury to another person, that concept of "instinctuall felony awareness", seems unjustified.

If a person drives a vehicle and kills somebody because they were DUI,I think that is felony behavior for sure, because another person lost their life. And lengthy prison time, and/ or an executionmay be in order depending on various factors.

Post imported post

Yes People are born with the concept of what is right and wrong

Post imported post

I have decided to remove this post.

Post imported post

Pagan wrote:
    Because everyone thinks drinking and driving is ok, right??

Because no one has ever heard on TV, in school, from friends or family about the dangers of DUI/DWI?

I'm sorry....DUI/DWI is just one of those things you just do not do...getting caught three times, much less, once...possibly driving DUI/DWI more than those three times. It shows clear lack of good decision-making with a 3000lbs weapon.

It's a mark of selfishness commonly found by those who DUI/DWI...and as stated before, how many times have you told a mother, father, sister, brother that their loved one was killed by a drunk driver....and that the DD is still alive, if not unhurt.

Violent felony? Yeah...the results are violent. The consequences, forever.

To the OP: You get what you pay for here. I recommend you consult an attorney in your state--he may be more sympathetic and can better advise you.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast