• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Felony Conviction 13 years ago for 3rd DWI - Will I Ever Get My Right To Carry Back?

wanttheright

imported post

Hello all,

I'll get right to it....

13 Years ago - when I was 21 - I was convicted of my 3rd DWI which is a felony. I did serve some time for that, but I have not had any altercations with the wrong side of the law since. Its the epitome of - young and dumb. I have absolutely no violent criminal history. Especially anything pertaining to guns. It was only alcohol related and as I said - 13 years ago. Nothing since.

Moving on... I grew up with guns and have always had great respect for them and gun safety. I would like nothing more than to be able to regain my rights to carry a firearm. I have done some research into the matter and posted on different forums trying to determine/discover if there is any way possible to make this happen.

If you have any information that could help me I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This is a great example of what happens when the government says that felony=no guns without respect to the circumstances. What happens when they decide it's a felony to drive over 55mph? When they decide it's a felony to use foul language?

DISABLING OF RIGHTS WITHOUT SPECIFIC DUE PROCESS IS BS!

In any case; I think you will have to get in touch with your governor. I believe the procedure is something like "petition for restoration of rights" and I believe the governor has sole discretion on whether to expunge this from your record or restore the rights.

Someone else who knows more about this may come along and lend some insight.

Pace

imported post

You can often ask for your crime to be changed from a felony to something else, or removed from the record, sometimes a call to the DA from there they will do it, or you can petition thruogh courts also.

onlurker

imported post

This may vary from state to state, but I believe some felony classes allow for your civil rights to be reinstated. My step-brother is going through this mess at the moment for something dumb he did and because of the class of the felony (I think it was a class "A"). I believe it is class "C" felonies that do not allow you to have your rights reinstated.

I don't know if there are any specific time-lines for this, but it's at least worth checking out. Pop on down to the local lawyer's office and see what they say. Worst that can happen is they just reaffirm what you already know.

wanttheright

imported post

I agree completely. It has no relevance to what I did. I quietly and willing paid the price for that but a lifelong punishment seems hardly fit for what I did.

I appreciate all the replies thus far. I believe I will contact the DA in my county (Harris County in Texas) and see what they say. I will also do some more research on "petition for restoration of rights" (thank you Brass Magnet).

I will post any new info I get as a reply to this topic for others who may be interested (onlurker).

Thank you again.

jeremy05

imported post

personally If you get a DUI, which pretty much means that you have very very poor decision making capabilities, you should not be in possession of a firearm either. I haven't given much thought to how long the time should be, but 3rd DUI?? yeah forever seems fitting.

Personally you should still be in jail if it was up to me.

wanttheright

imported post

Well we're all entitled to our opinions - but good thing its not up to you. And with that frame of mind and attitude I don't feel you demonstrate any better judgment or "decision making capabilities" than that which you "preach" against.

It was a long time ago and there were other factors involved that aren't relevant to this forum (which is why I didn't go into detail).

Mini14

imported post

I had my father maimed for life by a drunk driver, only God has the right to eternal vengeance, too.I feel first offense drunk driving youmust have the breathelyzer ignition on your vehicle for ten years, no alternative. Second offense, you lose lisence for 25 years. Third is life.

Nonetheless, you did the time for the crime; your gun rights should be restored(I understand why voting and jury duty is taken from felons).

jeremy05

imported post

Im not saying I never did anything dumb when i was young, but THIRD DWI! Give me a break. I have never done anything that I could be arrested for, I have the Polygraphs to prove this. Most people make mistakes when they are young, but they dont make the same one two more time in a row. This guy had no respect for anyones life, but his own. He is DAMN LUCKY he didnt kill anyone.

First of all it was his THIRD DWI!!!!!!!! That means it was his THIRD time GETTING CAUGHT, I highly doubt he only drove drunk three times, only that he got caught three times.

You are right its not up to me, I dont have any respect for people who drink and drive. It shows you have no respect for anyone else.

Carnivore

imported post

I guess having firearm rights restored is fair, although it goes against all I've ever preached under these circumstances, but Maybe you should have to peddal a bike the rest of your life, Now if you were given a choice, which would you choose?

rodbender

imported post

My local mom and pop gun store has several customers that are convicted felons. They simply buy and carry black powder guns. They are not considered firearms.

SIGguy229

imported post

Was anyone hurt in any of your DWI incidents?

What were the "circumstances"....because having worked accident scenes as an EMT....I'm curious how your third time getting caught could be caused by another party.

ODA 226

imported post

I firmly believe that convicted felons should NEVER have their guns rights restored if they intentionally (with malice and aforethought) broke the law.

Sorry partner. You KNOWINGLY drove drunk and were caught THREE TIMES! You should never be able to possess a firearm again.

rodbender

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
I firmly believe that convicted felons should NEVER have their guns rights restored if they intentionally (with malice and aforethought) broke the law.

Sorry partner. You KNOWINGLY drove drunk and were caught THREE TIMES! You should never be able to possess a firearm again.

I agree with Brass Magnet. When they make any law breaking a felony they will have all the guns except the one's in the hands of the real criminals.

ODA, everyone has broken a law, no matter how slight, even you. When they lower the bar of what constitutes a felony we will all be felons.

The only felons that should be stripped of their rights are violent felons. Armed robbery, murder, after 2-3 assault charges, and possibly stalking (we know how a lot of these turn out), but then these guys are going to get them anyway.

Pagan

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:

Must be nice to have born with all the proper guidance and leadership, that helped you to make all the right decisions, every single time in your whole life, wow!No sarcasm implied either, I truly mean WOW!

Brigham Young

imported post

I disagree. I think that only violent felons should lose their gun rights. If an accountant at a public company gets fried for violating the Sarbanes-Oxley reporting act (inaccurate books), I do not think that makes him a danger to us all if he goes pheasant hunting or carries a gun for self defense.

jeremy05

imported post

Pagan wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:

Must be nice to have born with all the proper guidance and leadership, that helped you to make all the right decisions, every single time in your whole life, wow!No sarcasm implied either, I truly mean WOW!

People need proper guidance and leadership so as not to commit FELONYS? I sure hope not.

ODA 226

imported post

Pagan wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:

And evidently, you've never had to tell a father his wife and baby daughter were hit and killed by a drunk driver.