• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Felony Conviction 13 years ago for 3rd DWI - Will I Ever Get My Right To Carry Back?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Pagan wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
I firmly believe that convicted felons should NEVER have their guns rights restored if they intentionally (with malice and aforethought) broke the law.

Sorry partner. You KNOWINGLY drove drunk and were caught THREE TIMES! You should never be able to possess a firearm again.
Must be nice to have born with all the proper guidance and leadership, that helped you to make all the right decisions, every single time in your whole life, wow!No sarcasm implied either, I truly mean WOW!
And evidently, you've never had to tell a father his wife and baby daughter were hit and killed by a drunk driver.
Evidently, you've never had to tell a mother and father that their son was killed and unable to defend himself because the state took away his "privilege" to do so in light of something that happened years ago. Not to mention that something had nothing what soever to do with violent behavior or firearms.

It works both ways. Don't let emotion into it, that's the problem. Look at the black and white. If you did the time your free. The fact that the time may not be enough to fit the crime is a problem with our justice system, not a problem with our rights.

Also, as has been said before, the government only needs to lower the bar of what is considered a felony to disarm ALL of us.

Pagan

imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
Pagan wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
I firmly believe that convicted felons should NEVER have their guns rights restored if they intentionally (with malice and aforethought) broke the law.

Sorry partner. You KNOWINGLY drove drunk and were caught THREE TIMES! You should never be able to possess a firearm again.
Must be nice to have born with all the proper guidance and leadership, that helped you to make all the right decisions, every single time in your whole life, wow!No sarcasm implied either, I truly mean WOW!

People need proper guidance and leadership so as not to commit FELONYS? I sure hope not.
A person could easily be raised in or have lived in an enviroment, where the basic knowledge of what constitues a felony was never taught. Are you suggesting that a person is born with a basic concept of felonious behavior? With a myriad of "crimes" listed as felonies, which do not involve actually causing physical injury to another person, that concept of "instinctuall felony awareness", seems unjustified.

If a person drives a vehicle and kills somebody because they were DUI,I think that is felony behavior for sure, because another person lost their life. And lengthy prison time, and/ or an executionmay be in order depending on various factors.

SIGguy229

imported post

Pagan wrote:
Because everyone thinks drinking and driving is ok, right??

Because no one has ever heard on TV, in school, from friends or family about the dangers of DUI/DWI?

I'm sorry....DUI/DWI is just one of those things you just do not do...getting caught three times, much less, once...possibly driving DUI/DWI more than those three times. It shows clear lack of good decision-making with a 3000lbs weapon.

It's a mark of selfishness commonly found by those who DUI/DWI...and as stated before, how many times have you told a mother, father, sister, brother that their loved one was killed by a drunk driver....and that the DD is still alive, if not unhurt.

Violent felony? Yeah...the results are violent. The consequences, forever.

To the OP: You get what you pay for here. I recommend you consult an attorney in your state--he may be more sympathetic and can better advise you.

jeremy05

imported post

Look Its pretty simple, getting a DWI is a bad thing, there is no argument there. It also shows poor decision making abilities, no arguing there either.

The best predictor of someones future behavior is their past behavior.

Remember when someone gets caught DWI its more then likely not the first time DWI just the first time caught. On someones 3rd DWI charge god only knows how many times that person got behind the wheel with a 3000lb weapon.

Why would anyone consider giving that guy another weapon?

This is the last thing im saying about this, its just mind-numbing people even consider giving felons guns.

wanttheright

imported post

I've been letting most of this roll off my back because no one here knows the circumstances of my situation. All this happened to me in a very very short period of time and I had horrible advice from lawyers. Short story is I should have never had one much less 3 DWI's. Be honest with yourself and tell me you've never gone to dinner, had three drinks in less than an hour, and driven home from a restaurant to your home (one situation of mine). You were driving while intoxicated. Also realize that driving drunk and driving while intoxicated are two very different things. Intoxication is relative - but not to the government. Everyone is intoxicated to them at "this point" according to them regardless of size or tolerance.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not excusing what I did and I'm not saying its right but to be so vehemently attacked and judged shows such a lack of empathy or understanding as to make one wonder who is really the dangerous one with a gun. Those of you who are high and mighty have an obvious lack of compassion as to make others question "your" decision making process. To even think or believe that my "non violent" conviction deserves life long judgement and punishment is an indication as to how "you" would react with such an imposing weapon (a gun).

I was young... I was punished... and I am now an active and productive member of society. What I did is no longer even close to an issue in my life. I am educated, have a family, and a very good and professional career. The executives in my company are aware of my past record and choose to look at my life, and accomplishments, as a whole rather than come to a quick and hasty judgement because of a very short period in my life.

My post was asking for advice on regaining my rights. I realize I put myself out there for all to bludgeon if they choose to do so, but I respectfully ask those of you who want to bash me to please refrain. I also continue to thank those of you who offer answers to my questions and good advice.

riverrat10k

imported post

This is a tough thread to respond to.

Rights reinstatement is handled at the State level, each State will be different. IANAL, so that is all I will say to that. Contact your local DA or AG.

I agree that having three DWI's shows irresponsible behavior.

However, I had a DUI when I was twenty. Barely over the legal limit. Not a felony. I have a CHP.

I also still love full-flavored, full alcohol beer.

This has come up recently in VA, I think about felony drug busts. Happened over 20 years ago to a guy and he wants his voting rights restored.

Again, I am ambivalent here. Many countries have extreme penalties for drunk driving. We are actually still very lax.

On the other hand, part of enjoying the freedoms of this country means embracing the dangers that go along with those freedoms.

Hmmmm. I guess I'll take "More Random Dangers with ComensurateFreedoms" for $1000, Alex. There! I talked myself into a position!

wanttheright

imported post

Again.. to be clear. I did not kill anyone - not even close. One of the DWI's I wasn't even driving. I was sitting in the car (driver seat) and I watched a police officer literally walk up to me and tell me to get out of the car. He did a field sobriety test to me and was letting me go (drive away) when his Sargent arrived at the scene, asked if the keys were in the ignition, took a pen and "waved" it in front of my face , and then proclaimed I was drunk and arrested me.

To a young, upper middle class "kid" who has never been in any kind of trouble, jail/prison is quite imposing and plea bargains seem like a good idea so you can go home "today" rather than weeks/months/even years from now.

I understand how difficult it must be for those of you who have either known someone who has been killed by a drunk driver or who have had to tell someone that their loved one has been killed by one. That drunk driver was not me. I did not kill anyone or put anyone - much less any of you - in that position.

In each of my convictions I voluntarily blew because I felt that I was "not" drunk. Which again... could have been true.. but according to the government, I was intoxicated. I've never made excuses or tried to condone what I did. As I said though... I paid my price.

SIGguy229

imported post

want2carry wrote:
I've been letting most of this roll off my back because no one here knows the circumstances of my situation. All this happened to me in a very very short period of time and I had horrible advice from lawyers. Short story is I should have never had one much less 3 DWI's. Be honest with yourself and tell me you've never gone to dinner, had three drinks in less than an hour, and driven home from a restaurant to your home (one situation of mine). You were driving while intoxicated. Also realize that driving drunk and driving while intoxicated are two very different things. Intoxication is relative - but not to the government. Everyone is intoxicated to them at "this point" according to them regardless of size or tolerance.

<break>
Nope....never...by never, I mean....n e v e r...I either walked or got a ride with the designated driver...or called a cab.
<break>

Don't get me wrong... I'm not excusing what I did and I'm not saying its right but to be so vehemently attacked and judged shows such a lack of empathy or understanding as to make one wonder who is really the dangerous one with a gun. Those of you who are high and mighty have an obvious lack of compassion as to make others question "your" decision making process. To even think or believe that my "non violent" conviction deserves life long judgement and punishment is an indication as to how "you" would react with such an imposing weapon (a gun).

<break>
I have tons of compassion....and am by no means perfect....but there are just some things you do not do. But your statement above is trying to minimize what you've done and try to gain sympathy. Everyone knows DUI = a class of felony; everyone knows felony = no more guns.
<break>

I was young... I was punished... and I am now an active and productive member of society. What I did is no longer even close to an issue in my life. I am educated, have a family, and a very good and professional career. The executives in my company are aware of my past record and choose to look at my life, and accomplishments, as a whole rather than come to a quick and hasty judgement because of a very short period in my life.

<break>
Glad to see you've reformed....but I will say even educated people drive DUI. My brother has a DUI on his record...and I've told him the same things I mentioned above. It doesn't mean I love him any less...but I do not trust him to carry a firearm.
The fact your employer chooses to continue to employ you has no bearing on your legal status to possess or carry a firearm.
<break>

My post was asking for advice on regaining my rights. I realize I put myself out there for all to bludgeon if they choose to do so, but I respectfully ask those of you who want to bash me to please refrain. I also continue to thank those of you who offer answers to my questions and good advice.

The advice you get here is what you pay...I recommend you contact an attorney in your area.

SIGguy229

imported post

want2carry wrote:
Again.. to be clear. I did not kill anyone - not even close. One of the DWI's I wasn't even driving. I was sitting in the car (driver seat) and I watched a police officer literally walk up to me and tell me to get out of the car. He did a field sobriety test to me and was letting me go (drive away) when his Sargent arrived at the scene, asked if the keys were in the ignition, took a pen and "waved" it in front of my face , and then proclaimed I was drunk and arrested me.

To a young, upper middle class "kid" who has never been in any kind of trouble, jail/prison is quite imposing and plea bargains seem like a good idea so you can go home "today" rather than weeks/months/even years from now.

I understand how difficult it must be for those of you who have either known someone who has been killed by a drunk driver or who have had to tell someone that their loved one has been killed by one. That drunk driver was not me. I did not kill anyone or put anyone - much less any of you - in that position.

In each of my convictions I voluntarily blew because I felt that I was "not" drunk. Which again... could have been true.. but according to the government, I was intoxicated. I've never made excuses or tried to condone what I did. As I said though... I paid my price.

What about the two other convictions?

In the incident you described, you obviously had the intent to drive....what are we supposed to take from that?

wanttheright

imported post

To correct you.... DUI does NOT = Felony. A DUI is a misdemeanor.

And as for you (SIGguy229) being "glad" I've reformed... I seriously doubt that. Not that it matters one way or the other.

wanttheright

imported post

not pertaining to DUI. Its a misdemeanor no matter what jurisdiction. Another note... DUI is not the same as DWI - which is also a misdemeanor.... regardless of jurisdiction.

wanttheright

imported post

*not sure why that posted four times. Sorry about that. I erased the body of the other three*

ffemt1079

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
And I suppose that, when you were young, you never made any dumb decisions? "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."..............But we should also recognize that most people mature past the stage of making those dumb decisions and not automatically condemn someone for past mistakes. He did the crime and the time; let him move on with his life with his rights restored.

Well said SFC.

-Former SSG, USA