• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1000 ft from a school question

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

Lammie wrote:
A reality check: There is such a paranoia in the minds of the Wisconsin legislature and parents in general, that our children must be protected at all costs, even at the cost of liberties.....
If the GFSZ law was actually to protect our children and not infringe upon our rights, then it would only need to be in effect when the children were present! When the children are at home in their beds, how does not being able to carry a firearm in a school zone make them any safer? Perhaps this would be an approach toward achieving the infamous "common sense law" in Wisconsin....

School zone speed limits are only in play, "When children are present". Is the freedom to defend oneself any less important than the freedom to drive 25mph instead of 10mph?

Dave

hunter9mm

imported post

Once again, our wonderful, insightful, Wisconsin governing body has created a law that only adversely affects the “Law Abiding Citizen”. I’m sure if someone wanted to “Shoot-Up” a school, they would think twice because there’s a 1000’ “No Gun Zone” around a school!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

The law abides only the law abiding.

What we get from the dumbing down of our language is the inability to make a tersely correct statement like that understood and stick in the demotic consciousness. I use 'abides' here in the sense of "giving pause to" and "delaying" and "enduring" and "sustaining" and "patiently bearing" and "tolerating". The right of the people to abide guns shall not be infringed.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hunter9mm wrote:
Once again, our wonderful, insightful, Wisconsin governing body has created a law that only adversely affects the “Law Abiding Citizen”. I’m sure if someone wanted to “Shoot-Up” a school, they would think twice because there’s a 1000’ “No Gun Zone” around a school!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Originallyintroduced and passed at the national leveldue to efforts of Wisconsin's senator Herb Kohl. Similar laws exist in other states.