• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OpenCarry.org's Mike Stollenwerk interviewed on CBS evening news re open carry rights

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
It would have been MORE effective had someone PLANNED an OC day at ALL Starbucks nationwide, even invite the local media to cover it.
The Bradys and the rest of the NRA crowd would piss all over themselves.
No, that's not a good idea - patronizing themis one thing, pushing them into the spotlight is another.

ecocks

imported post

I agree a better-organized carry day (where legal) would be useful and also timely given the SCOTUS consideration in progress regarding the McDonald case.

While we may not be able to get this well-organized, we can certainly nudge things along by OC'ing into Starbucks and making it clear what the customer base feels about this issue.

We'regearing up the Idaho Citizen's Defense League here and have individually been urging small group meetings at local Starbucks while OC'ing. This morning John Wolver and I (Pres and VP respectively) took our business to a local Starbucks and had a positive interaction with one customer, no problems with staff or others.

Vote with your dollars and let them know where YOU stand.

TFred

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Fine, but having OC'ers in their stores, all on the same day, as customers, would certainly not go unnoticed by corporate.
As a business owner, I'd WELCOME such a response.
Except Starbucks has nicely asked to NOT be put in a position of controversy.

TFred

rkbaguy

imported post

http://news.starbucks.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=332

starbucks2.jpg

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

"Were we to adopt a policy different from local laws allowing open carry, we would be forced to require our partners to ask law abiding customers to leave our stores, putting our partners in an unfair and potentially unsafe position."

Does this mean they are afraid the gun-totingpatron would go postal and shoot the Starbucks "partner?" If so, they don't trust legal gun carriers, do they.

Or, do they mean with the gun-toting patron asked to leave (and so gone from the premises), Starbucks "partners" would be left defenseless? I doubt it.

I think it's the first.

-- John D.

ecocks

imported post

Thanks for the link, I'll drop them a little note of appreciation.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Here is the print link: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/03/04/eveningnews/main6267697.shtml

SNIP

"There are gun owners in this country that want to force guns into every nook and cranny of our society," says Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "They want to normalize the concept of guns being everywhere."

The National Rifle Association, fearing new gun restrictions from the Obama administration, has gone on the offensive, taking its fight directly to the states.

"The issue is you have the right bear arms," says Mike Stollenwerk from OpenCarry.org. "And a gun is like insurance."

Video at http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6267869n&tag=related;photovideo

JT

imported post

It's obvious they didn't include all of your interview Mike. Would have liked to hear the whole thing. Is it possible you could provide a summary?

The one woman they featured in the video as an anti-gun demonstrator was strange. She said something to the effect of:

"I don't know if that guy with the gun is here to protect me or if he's there to shoot everyone in the place"

Uh, excuse mema'am but those aren't the only options. It's called SELF defense for a reason. It really shows the mindset of these people that they think the issue is about them. I don't carry to protect others. They may be beneficiaries of my carry but I carry to protect myself and my loved ones. That doesn't mean I wouldn't intervene to defend someonein a given situation but the reason I carry has nothing to do with anyone else. It just goes to show the misunderstanding and limited frame of reference these people have when they address an issue like this.

Article1section23

imported post

Mike wrote:
Here is the print link: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/03/04/eveningnews/main6267697.shtml

SNIP

"There are gun owners in this country that want to force guns into every nook and cranny of our society," says Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "They want to normalize the concept of guns being everywhere."

The National Rifle Association, fearing new gun restrictions from the Obama administration, has gone on the offensive, taking its fight directly to the states.

"The issue is you have the right bear arms," says Mike Stollenwerk from OpenCarry.org. "And a gun is like insurance."

Video at http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6267869n&tag=related;photovideo

Mike..good job. Not sure what all you said in your interview, since they gave us the 2 second review, but...what are your idea's to include this next time: The issue is you have the right bear arms and bear arms means to carry with you.

This would be for those people watching that don't understand what Bear arms, actually means.

KansasMustang

imported post

"I don't know if that guy with the gun is here to protect me or if he's there to shoot everyone in the place"

The sheer idiocy of this comment just makes blood shoot out of my eyes. If the guy were there to shoot everyone in the place he wouldn't be open carrying, and he'd have come in blazing.
As previously stated the, weapon isn't for anyone's protection but me and mine. If you want protection, buy your own, or hire a bodyguard.
As to Starbucks security protocol, we all know how that goes: 911 what is your emergency? Blam! Blam! there's several men robbing us and, Blam!,,, Ma'am ? Ma'am? When seconds count,,,