Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Living in the Beach Cities

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    39

    Post imported post

    Newbie here with a ? about UOC in and around the Southbay Beach Cities. Do I need to check with every single LE Agency within the communities I wish to vist while UOC concerning their codes?



    Thanks

  2. #2
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691

    Post imported post

    Josey Wales wrote:
    Newbie here with a ? about UOC in and around the Southbay Beach Cities. Do I need to check with every single LE Agency within the communities I wish to vist while UOC concerning their codes?



    Thanks
    State law supercedes local concerning carryingfirearms, except where a firearm can be discharged (fired)
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  3. #3
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    Josey,

    I don't recommend talking to the police for legal advice. It's not their job, and 90% of the time you'll get someone's personal opinion paraded as fact. The other 10% of the time they'll be honest and tell you they don't know.

    "Officer Mitchell told me there were no laws against this," is not going to hold up in court.

    Another option is to talk to an attorney. This is going to costmoney, and most likely the attorney is going to say, "In myprofessional opinion it's a bad idea to open carry."

    The bottom line is we each must take personal responsibility for our actions. That means taking charge and doing your own research. After all, it's your ass that's gonna be sitting in jail if you're wrong.

    Gundude wrote:
    State law supercedes local concerning carryingfirearms, except where a firearm can be discharged (fired)
    Almost correct.

    State law preempts local code on any issue addressed by statute (which covers almost everything, so you're almost correct there). The big exception is that statute does not preempt local codes that apply only on city-owned property (e.g. fair grounds, the lawn of city hall, etc).


    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego County, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    1,402

    Post imported post

    An attorney would advise you against doing things which may require you to use his services? LOL

  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    N6ATF wrote:
    An attorney would advise you against doing things which may require you to use his services? LOL
    More likely he would be advising on the side of caution because I could see a judge rule against him in amalpractice suitfor giving pro-2A advice that ended up in his client's arrest. So he'd really be saving money.

    Of course, I'm sure he'd first rack up hours of paralegal research fees in order to give the "don't do it" advice in the first place. Probably going to make a couple grand anyhow.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego County, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    1,402

    Post imported post

    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    N6ATF wrote:
    An attorney would advise you against doing things which may require you to use his services? LOL
    More likely he would be advising on the side of caution because I could see a judge rule against him in amalpractice suitfor giving pro-2A advice that ended up in his client's arrest. So he'd really be saving money.

    Of course, I'm sure he'd first rack up hours of paralegal research fees in order to give the "don't do it" advice in the first place. Probably going to make a couple grand anyhow.
    I was thinking he would say "If you plan to be falsely arrested and prosecuted for breaking no law at all, and then sue for 1983 in federal court, I can represent you criminally and civilly."

  7. #7
    Regular Member demnogis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California, USA
    Posts
    912

    Post imported post

    You forgot that they would ask for about a $5000 retainer after saying that.

    N6ATF wrote:
    I was thinking he would say "If you plan to be falsely arrested and prosecuted for breaking no law at all, and then sue for 1983 in federal court, I can represent you criminally and civilly."
    Gun control isn't about guns -- it is about control.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    39

    Post imported post

    All,

    Wasn't planning on talking with them...just asking to review/see what codes arefollowed.

    Learned my lesson with regards to conversing with LE when it comes to penal code violations and myself.

    Josey




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •