• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Madisonville Ky City Police says "NO OCING!"

langzaiguy

imported post

@4sooth: Thank you, I was not aware of that court precedent! However, this is where I'm coming from: Yes, a police officer is responsible for knowing the law. A false arrest--no matter if the officer thinks he is following the law or not can result in a CIVIL suit. In KY, according to KRS 522.020, if an LEO if it can result in a CRIMINAL trial (and of course a civil trial too.)

In other words, it's bad enough if an LEO falsely arrests someone not knowing the law. In KY, it's doubly bad if an LEO falsely arrests someone knowing the law.

4sooth

imported post

Louisiana has this--R.S14:46.1 False Imprisonment while armed with a deadly weapon. Up to 10 years at hard labor, whopping fine and some jail time is mandatory.

Arresting someone for something that is not a crime causes the officer to not have color of law. Since most police are armed--a serious crime has been committed. And I have yet to meet an officer who knows of this statute.

imported post

It would not surprise me if an officer said that to your friend. I live about 11 miles south of madisonville and i happened upon this site with my Iphone just playing around. I think it would be good if people around madisonvlle started OCing because i hardly ever see anyone doing it around here. I think most people are scared of local law enforcement trying to arrest them which is sad because there supposed to be here to "serve and protect". Do you have to be 21 to legally open carry?

Unfettered Might

imported post

Hopkins County FF 1121 wrote:
It would not surprise me if an officer said that to your friend. I live about 11 miles south of madisonville and i happened upon this site with my Iphone just playing around. I think it would be good if people around madisonvlle started OCing because i hardly ever see anyone doing it around here. I think most people are scared of local law enforcement trying to arrest them which is sad because there supposed to be here to "serve and protect". Do you have to be 21 to legally open carry?
Nope, 18.

GROGERS

imported post

I carry in Madville regularly and have had no problems but I have had no direct contact with City Police Officers. I do however live nextdoor to CPT Williams Grandmother and see him often.I grew up with his Family and know him to be astand up guy.Good guy to go to if a City Officer over steps his authority.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Each and every time I visit my hometown of Madisonville I OC and have done so without incident. I'll be home in late June / early July and hope to meet up with some other OC folks.

Now if I can only get some Ferrell's burgers sent out my way......

<edit> to help the new folks have a OC meet and have them join you at that time. With more OC'ers present that will help calm their fears and give them a safety in numbers feeling. We get a lot of first time OC'ers at our meets and when they see the reactions from the everyday folk, the next thing you know the shirt is tucked back or the jacket comes off.