• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry Road Rage Murder

DocNTexas

imported post

glock37 wrote:
Here's the link to the story:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6896633.html

I'd say this doesn't make gunowners look good.

Not good for anyone.

As for gun owners, well that term includes criminals also. It is CHL holders thatwillcatch the brunt of this idiots actions. But I know what you mean.

Fortunately there were enough witnesses to take this guy off the street.

Not that it was illegal or anything, and I am sure it was the police officer reaction in her, but this is why it is a bad idea to chase down people like this, especially if you have a kid in the car with you. While I am willing to take risks like this myself, if others are with me I will not jeopardizetheir safety. That is what insurance and the police are for.

Myheart goes out to the families.

Doc

jarodm20

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I know people get caught up in the moment, adrenaline pumping and all that, but you don't shoot just because you see something shiny. This guy made a HUGE mistake that cost a 13 year old girl her life. He'll be living with that for the rest of his life.

DocNTexas

imported post

While I typically try to refrain from passing judgement based on news reports and recognize that there are two sides to most stories, in this case I can find no reason to give this guy the benefit of doubt. No matter what the circumstances of the initial altercation orthe ensuing chase and encounter initiated bythe off duty officer (and daughter), there is no defensive justification for shooting at a moving vehicle from behind it. Even if he truly thought he saw one of then pointing a gun at him,all he had to do was hit his breaks and stop to be out of immediate danger. This guy was just plain wrong and needs to pay for it.

Doc

KBCraig

imported post

There is no such thing as "felony murder" in Texas. That is, it's not a separate statute, as it is in other states. The charge is Murder, Penal Code 19.02(b)(3):

Sec.19.02. MURDER. (a)In this section:
1)"Adequate cause" means cause that would commonly produce a degree of anger, rage, resentment, or terror in a person of ordinary temper, sufficient to render the mind incapable of cool reflection.
(2)"Sudden passion" means passion directly caused by and arising out of provocation by the individual killed or another acting with the person killed which passion arises at the time of the offense and is not solely the result of former provocation.
(b)A person commits an offense if he:
(1)intentionally or knowingly causes the death of an individual;
(2)intends to cause serious bodily injury and commits an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual; or
(3)commits or attempts to commit a felony, other than manslaughter, and in the course of and in furtherance of the commission or attempt, or in immediate flight from the commission or attempt, he commits or attempts to commit an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual.
(c)Except as provided by Subsection (d), an offense under this section is a felony of the first degree.
(d)At the punishment stage of a trial, the defendant may raise the issue as to whether he caused the death under the immediate influence of sudden passion arising from an adequate cause. If the defendant proves the issue in the affirmative by a preponderance of the evidence, the offense is a felony of the second degree.

DocNTexas

imported post

texfatboy wrote:
24 is too young to have a CHL.

His age is really not an issue here. Foolish decisions are made by people of all ages. A few months back I read the story of a 54 year old man who shot his wife, thinking she was an intruder, based on the thought that she was still in bed, not that he actually identified the person as an intruder and a clear threat. Another foolish decision, andhe wascertainly old enough to know better. If a person is considered responsible for all other purposes by age 21, then obtaining a CHL should be no different.

Doc

WhatTimeIsIt?

imported post

Unfortunately the idiots get in the media while all the rest of the chp holders are not appreciated.