Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: help me choose

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Monroe, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    89

    Post imported post

    I'm looking at buy a new gun I have had two glocks now one a 23 40cal and a 21 45cal

    I thinking of getting a glock 22 or 23 (full size or compact)
    your thoughts please good or bad

  2. #2
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011

    Post imported post

    hduc2005 wrote:
    I'm looking at buy a new gun I have had two glocks now one a 23 40cal and a 21 45cal

    I thinking of getting a glock 22 or 23 (full size or compact)
    your thoughts please good or bad
    My thoughts are, it's OK to use plastic to buy metal; but notto use metal to buy plastic.

    Get a good 1911, it'll be an heirloom.

    With that I shall now duck & reload before the plastic posse shows up .
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,319

    Post imported post

    Shoot and carry what you feel comfortable with.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  4. #4
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011

    Post imported post

    hduc2005 wrote:
    I'm looking at buy a new gun I have had two glocks now one a 23 40cal and a 21 45cal

    I thinking of getting a glock 22 or 23 (full size or compact)
    your thoughts please good or bad
    Or for extra large "inconveniences" & small jeeps at longer ranges , I use this one.
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    908

    Post imported post

    I'm a wheel gun man myself. No worry about jams, just pull the trigger again and go to the next round in the cylinder. Downside is they are a little less convienient to load and unload, of course that's not usually when you need them. Guns are like cars, to each his/her own.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    Lurch, it seems in this thread, and others you participate in, that you use images frequently and in replying to me. I can't see images on this my computer for avoiding zero-dimension pixels - among other 'zero' things. I don't expect anyone to change their ways for my convenience but was explaining my obtuse bluntness.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011

    Post imported post

    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    Lurch, it seems in this thread, and others you participate in, that you use images frequently and in replying to me. I can't see images on this my computer for avoiding zero-dimension pixels - among other 'zero' things. I don't expect anyone to change their ways for my convenience but was explaining my obtuse bluntness.
    Ahh...the "boonie tax". One I don't mind paying usually(city living now). Here's to high speed internet access to all...hip, hip, hooray!!!

    Land spreading out so far and wide,

    keep Manhattan and gimmie that countryside;

    Green Acres...


    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  8. #8
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011

    Post imported post

    Lurchiron wrote:
    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    Lurch, it seems in this thread, and others you participate in, that you use images frequently and in replying to me. I can't see images on this my computer for avoiding zero-dimension pixels - among other 'zero' things. I don't expect anyone to change their ways for my convenience but was explaining my obtuse bluntness.
    Ahh...the "boonie tax". One I don't mind paying usually(city living now). Here's to high speed internet access to all...hip, hip, hooray!!!

    Land spreading out so far and wide,

    keep Manhattan and gimmie that countryside;

    Green Acres...

    Please Master, don't make me sing anymore; me no likey Karaoke ...
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Monroe, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    89

    Post imported post

    You guys funny

    going to look at a sig 229, 226, glock 23, and a xd-40 tonight

  10. #10
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011

    Post imported post

    hduc2005 wrote:
    You guys funny

    going to look at a sig 229, 226, glock 23, and a xd-40 tonight
    The wife was checking out a XD in .45, but settled on her Kimber; go figure huh .

    Have fun & plug at least 1 BG(paper) for me.
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    Lurchiron wrote:
    Ahh...the "boonie tax". One I don't mind paying usually(city living now).
    No, I have satellite speed internet, the highest available.

    Images are not worth the risk in exchange for so little information. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then how much is a little to no sense picture worth?

    Let's see, I have a firewall set to medium, my hosts file is a half-megabyte of redirects to dev.null, Norton Internet Security AV, Windoze Defender, Firefox with NoScript, AdblockPlus, BetterPrivacy ... that I can think of. IIRC ABP stops images.

  12. #12
    Regular Member oldschool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    delavan, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    118

    Post imported post

    Lammie wrote:
    I'm a wheel gun man myself. No worry about jams, just pull the trigger again and go to the next round in the cylinder. Downside is they are a little less convienient to load and unload, of course that's not usually when you need them. Guns are like cars, to each his/her own.
    Thats why I like .45 acps with moon clips, just because I like revolvers doesn't mean I'm opposed to a fast reload .

  13. #13
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011

    Post imported post

    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    Lurchiron wrote:
    Ahh...the "boonie tax". One I don't mind paying usually(city living now).
    No, I have satellite speed internet, the highest available.

    Images are not worth the risk in exchange for so little information. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then how much is a little to no sense picture worth?

    Let's see, I have a firewall set to medium, my hosts file is a half-megabyte of redirects to dev.null, Norton Internet Security AV, Windoze Defender, Firefox with NoScript, AdblockPlus, BetterPrivacy ... that I can think of. IIRC ABP stops images.
    Gotcha now...security over convenience.

    Security...it's for the children, ya know...
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  14. #14
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068

    Post imported post

    There have been many wise posts in this thread. If I may, I will throw my two-cents in. Get a weapon that fits comfortably in your hand. You do not want something two small or two large. I am not "dissing" the plastic stuff. I have one in .32 auto. But, I do personally agree that the Model 1911, in .45 ACP, is a nearly perfect bad guy equalizer. I have also been known to carry a 2-inch wheel gun in .357 Mag.

    The right size weapon will cut down on malfunction and help accuracy. Above all, train, train, train, and then train some more. Did I mention you should train? Knock down power is wasted if you do not have control of the weapon and achieve accuracy. A well aimed 32 auto JHP will put a lot more hurt on a bad guy than a .45 or .44 mag that missed the target.

    I also recently moved from Wisconsin to Utah and carry concealed with a permit.

    I carry a weapon because carrying a police officer is just too much work.

    I support gun control by going to the range once a week to be sure that I can hit what I am firing at every time I fire at it. That, my friends, is Gun Control.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348

    Post imported post

    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    Lurch, it seems in this thread, and others you participate in, that you use images frequently and in replying to me. I can't see images on this my computer for avoiding zero-dimension pixels - among other 'zero' things. I don't expect anyone to change their ways for my convenience but was explaining my obtuse bluntness.
    Your right, no one is going to change their ways for your convenience...
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348

    Post imported post

    protias wrote:
    Shoot and carry what you feel comfortable with.
    ditto & buy what you can afford......
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Monroe, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    89

    Post imported post

    ok guys got back from the gun store and so far to my surprise I realy like the M&P 40

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    637

    Post imported post

    Lurchiron wrote:
    hduc2005 wrote:
    I'm looking at buy a new gun I have had two glocks now one a 23 40cal and a 21 45cal

    I thinking of getting a glock 22 or 23 (full size or compact)
    your thoughts please good or bad
    My thoughts are, it's OK to use plastic to buy metal; but notto use metal to buy plastic.

    Get a good 1911, it'll be an heirloom.

    With that I shall now duck & reload before the plastic posse shows up .
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002


    “Is the 1911 .45 an outdated design”
    Of course the 1911 is an outdated design. It came from an era when weapons were designed to win fights, not to avoid product liability lawsuits. It came from an era where it was the norm to learn how your weapon operated and to practice that operation until it became second nature, not to design the piece to the lowest common denominator. It came from an era in which our country tried to supply its fighting men with the best tools possible, unlike today, when our fighting men and women are issued hardware that was adopted because of international deal-making or the fact that the factory is in some well-connected congressman’s district.
    Yes, beyond any shadow of a doubt, the 1911 IS an outdated design….and that’s exactly what I love about it.
    – Rosco S. Benson


    Personally, I think those two quotes sum it up nicely
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair. Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348

    Post imported post

    GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
    Lurchiron wrote:
    hduc2005 wrote:
    I'm looking at buy a new gun I have had two glocks now one a 23 40cal and a 21 45cal

    I thinking of getting a glock 22 or 23 (full size or compact)
    your thoughts please good or bad
    My thoughts are, it's OK to use plastic to buy metal; but notto use metal to buy plastic.

    Get a good 1911, it'll be an heirloom.

    With that I shall now duck & reload before the plastic posse shows up .
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002


    “Is the 1911 .45 an outdated design”
    Of course the 1911 is an outdated design. It came from an era when weapons were designed to win fights, not to avoid product liability lawsuits. It came from an era where it was the norm to learn how your weapon operated and to practice that operation until it became second nature, not to design the piece to the lowest common denominator. It came from an era in which our country tried to supply its fighting men with the best tools possible, unlike today, when our fighting men and women are issued hardware that was adopted because of international deal-making or the fact that the factory is in some well-connected congressman’s district.
    Yes, beyond any shadow of a doubt, the 1911 IS an outdated design….and that’s exactly what I love about it.
    – Rosco S. Benson


    Personally, I think those two quotes sum it up nicely
    maybe a screen name change is in order..1911meister ? the 1911 is a fine choice & excellent platform, I have owned a few. some people today like the newer designs & to each their own, right. 1911 - 8 shots , Glock21 - 13 shots...
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  20. #20
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011

    Post imported post

    Glock34 wrote:
    GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
    Lurchiron wrote:
    hduc2005 wrote:
    I'm looking at buy a new gun I have had two glocks now one a 23 40cal and a 21 45cal

    I thinking of getting a glock 22 or 23 (full size or compact)
    your thoughts please good or bad
    My thoughts are, it's OK to use plastic to buy metal; but notto use metal to buy plastic.

    Get a good 1911, it'll be an heirloom.

    With that I shall now duck & reload before the plastic posse shows up .
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002


    “Is the 1911 .45 an outdated design”
    Of course the 1911 is an outdated design. It came from an era when weapons were designed to win fights, not to avoid product liability lawsuits. It came from an era where it was the norm to learn how your weapon operated and to practice that operation until it became second nature, not to design the piece to the lowest common denominator. It came from an era in which our country tried to supply its fighting men with the best tools possible, unlike today, when our fighting men and women are issued hardware that was adopted because of international deal-making or the fact that the factory is in some well-connected congressman’s district.
    Yes, beyond any shadow of a doubt, the 1911 IS an outdated design….and that’s exactly what I love about it.
    – Rosco S. Benson


    Personally, I think those two quotes sum it up nicely
    maybe a screen name change is in order..1911meister ? the 1911 is a fine choice & excellent platform, I have owned a few. some people today like the newer designs & to each their own, right. 1911 - 8 shots , Glock21 - 13 shots...
    But..but...what ever happened to One shot; one kill :what:...err, nuetralizing force(PC) ; dasn't irk da antis' ...
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    637

    Post imported post

    Glock34 wrote:
    GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
    Lurchiron wrote:
    hduc2005 wrote:
    I'm looking at buy a new gun I have had two glocks now one a 23 40cal and a 21 45cal

    I thinking of getting a glock 22 or 23 (full size or compact)
    your thoughts please good or bad
    My thoughts are, it's OK to use plastic to buy metal; but notto use metal to buy plastic.

    Get a good 1911, it'll be an heirloom.

    With that I shall now duck & reload before the plastic posse shows up .
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002


    “Is the 1911 .45 an outdated design”
    Of course the 1911 is an outdated design. It came from an era when weapons were designed to win fights, not to avoid product liability lawsuits. It came from an era where it was the norm to learn how your weapon operated and to practice that operation until it became second nature, not to design the piece to the lowest common denominator. It came from an era in which our country tried to supply its fighting men with the best tools possible, unlike today, when our fighting men and women are issued hardware that was adopted because of international deal-making or the fact that the factory is in some well-connected congressman’s district.
    Yes, beyond any shadow of a doubt, the 1911 IS an outdated design….and that’s exactly what I love about it.
    – Rosco S. Benson


    Personally, I think those two quotes sum it up nicely
    maybe a screen name change is in order..1911meister ? the 1911 is a fine choice & excellent platform, I have owned a few. some people today like the newer designs & to each their own, right. 1911 - 8 shots , Glock21 - 13 shots...
    The Glock 21 was my first gun and had it not been so freaking thick I'd have kept it. I still like Glocks as they are a great firearm for the money but even the 21SF is still huge. I've been a 1911 guy for a long time and I don't see that changing anytime soon. What I like about it is the thin grip and profile, the short trigger pull, and the history of it. It's been around for almost a hundred years with only slight upgrades to the original design. I can't say that about any other sidearm still in use by certain military and law enforcement agencies.

    To each their own, but imho I think everyone should try a 1911 at least once.
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair. Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •