• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

help me choose

hduc2005

imported post

I'm looking at buy a new gun I have had two glocks now one a 23 40cal and a 21 45cal

I thinking of getting a glock 22 or 23 (full size or compact)
your thoughts please good or bad

Lurchiron

imported post

hduc2005 wrote:
I'm looking at buy a new gun I have had two glocks now one a 23 40cal and a 21 45cal

My thoughts are, it's OK to use plastic to buy metal; but notto use metal to buy plastic.

Get a good 1911, it'll be an heirloom.

With that I shall now duck & reload before the plastic posse shows up :dude:.

Lurchiron

imported post

hduc2005 wrote:

Or for extra large "inconveniences" & small jeeps at longer ranges :lol:, I use this one.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm a wheel gun man myself. No worry about jams, just pull the trigger again and go to the next round in the cylinder. Downside is they are a little less convienient to load and unload, of course that's not usually when you need them. Guns are like cars, to each his/her own.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Lurch, it seems in this thread, and others you participate in, that you use images frequently and in replying to me. I can't see images on this my computer for avoiding zero-dimension pixels - among other 'zero' things. I don't expect anyone to change their ways for my convenience but was explaining my obtuse bluntness.

Lurchiron

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Lurch, it seems in this thread, and others you participate in, that you use images frequently and in replying to me. I can't see images on this my computer for avoiding zero-dimension pixels - among other 'zero' things. I don't expect anyone to change their ways for my convenience but was explaining my obtuse bluntness.

Ahh...the "boonie tax". One I don't mind paying usually(city living now). Here's to high speed internet access to all...hip, hip, hooray!!!

Land spreading out so far and wide,

keep Manhattan and gimmie that countryside;

Green Acres...

Lurchiron

imported post

Lurchiron wrote:

Ahh...the "boonie tax". One I don't mind paying usually(city living now). Here's to high speed internet access to all...hip, hip, hooray!!!

Land spreading out so far and wide,

keep Manhattan and gimmie that countryside;

Green Acres...
Please Master, don't make me sing anymore; me no likey Karaoke :lol::dude::D...

Lurchiron

imported post

hduc2005 wrote:
You guys funny

going to look at a sig 229, 226, glock 23, and a xd-40 tonight

The wife was checking out a XD in .45, but settled on her Kimber; go figure huh :lol:.

Have fun & plug at least 1 BG(paper) for me.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Lurchiron wrote:
Ahh...the "boonie tax". One I don't mind paying usually(city living now).
No, I have satellite speed internet, the highest available.

Images are not worth the risk in exchange for so little information. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then how much is a little to no sense picture worth?

Let's see, I have a firewall set to medium, my hosts file is a half-megabyte of redirects to dev.null, Norton Internet Security AV, Windoze Defender, Firefox with NoScript, AdblockPlus, BetterPrivacy ... that I can think of. IIRC ABP stops images.

oldschool

imported post

Lammie wrote:
I'm a wheel gun man myself. No worry about jams, just pull the trigger again and go to the next round in the cylinder. Downside is they are a little less convienient to load and unload, of course that's not usually when you need them. Guns are like cars, to each his/her own.
Thats why I like .45 acps with moon clips, just because I like revolvers doesn't mean I'm opposed to a fast reload .

Lurchiron

imported post

Lurchiron wrote:
Ahh...the "boonie tax". One I don't mind paying usually(city living now).
No, I have satellite speed internet, the highest available.

Images are not worth the risk in exchange for so little information. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then how much is a little to no sense picture worth?

Let's see, I have a firewall set to medium, my hosts file is a half-megabyte of redirects to dev.null, Norton Internet Security AV, Windoze Defender, Firefox with NoScript, AdblockPlus, BetterPrivacy ... that I can think of. IIRC ABP stops images.

Gotcha now...security over convenience.

Security...it's for the children, ya know... :lol:

jpm84092

imported post

There have been many wise posts in this thread. If I may, I will throw my two-cents in. Get a weapon that fits comfortably in your hand. You do not want something two small or two large. I am not "dissing" the plastic stuff. I have one in .32 auto. But, I do personally agree that the Model 1911, in .45 ACP, is a nearly perfect bad guy equalizer. I have also been known to carry a 2-inch wheel gun in .357 Mag.

The right size weapon will cut down on malfunction and help accuracy. Above all, train, train, train, and then train some more. Did I mention you should train? Knock down power is wasted if you do not have control of the weapon and achieve accuracy. A well aimed 32 auto JHP will put a lot more hurt on a bad guy than a .45 or .44 mag that missed the target.

I also recently moved from Wisconsin to Utah and carry concealed with a permit.

I carry a weapon because carrying a police officer is just too much work.

I support gun control by going to the range once a week to be sure that I can hit what I am firing at every time I fire at it. That, my friends, is Gun Control.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Your right, no one is going to change their ways for your convenience:lol:...

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lurchiron wrote:
hduc2005 wrote:

My thoughts are, it's OK to use plastic to buy metal; but notto use metal to buy plastic.

“The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

“Is the 1911 .45 an outdated design”
Of course the 1911 is an outdated design. It came from an era when weapons were designed to win fights, not to avoid product liability lawsuits. It came from an era where it was the norm to learn how your weapon operated and to practice that operation until it became second nature, not to design the piece to the lowest common denominator. It came from an era in which our country tried to supply its fighting men with the best tools possible, unlike today, when our fighting men and women are issued hardware that was adopted because of international deal-making or the fact that the factory is in some well-connected congressman’s district.
Yes, beyond any shadow of a doubt, the 1911 IS an outdated design….and that’s exactly what I love about it.
– Rosco S. Benson

Personally, I think those two quotes sum it up nicely :D

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
Lurchiron wrote:
hduc2005 wrote:

“The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Of course the 1911 is an outdated design. It came from an era when weapons were designed to win fights, not to avoid product liability lawsuits. It came from an era where it was the norm to learn how your weapon operated and to practice that operation until it became second nature, not to design the piece to the lowest common denominator. It came from an era in which our country tried to supply its fighting men with the best tools possible, unlike today, when our fighting men and women are issued hardware that was adopted because of international deal-making or the fact that the factory is in some well-connected congressman’s district.
Yes, beyond any shadow of a doubt, the 1911 IS an outdated design….and that’s exactly what I love about it.
– Rosco S. Benson

maybe a screen name change is in order..1911meister ? :cool: the 1911 is a fine choice & excellent platform, I have owned a few. some people today like the newer designs & to each their own, right. 1911 - 8 shots , Glock21 - 13 shots...

Lurchiron

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
Lurchiron wrote:
hduc2005 wrote:

– Rosco S. Benson

maybe a screen name change is in order..1911meister ? :cool: the 1911 is a fine choice & excellent platform, I have owned a few. some people today like the newer designs & to each their own, right. 1911 - 8 shots , Glock21 - 13 shots...
But..but...what ever happened to One shot; one kill :what:...err, nuetralizing force(PC) :dude:; dasn't irk da antis' ...