Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Antis will be protesting at Starbucks in Alexandria

Post imported post

I just got this message from the anti-gun "Westfield 32" group at Westfield High School:

--------------------
    Subject: PROTEST THIS SATURDAY: NO GUNS IN STARBUCKS!

When: SATURDAY, MARCH 6, 11AM

Where: Starbucks in Old Town, Alexandria, Virginia (next to Potomac River, at 100 S. Union Street/base of King St., not to be confused with the other Starbucks on King St.)

Join Protest Easy Guns at Starbucks to PROTEST GUNS IN STARBUCKS

Private property owners, including restaurants and other retail establishments, can bar guns from their premises if they choose. Officials at Starbucks, however, have continued to welcome the gun-toters.

It's only a matter of time before more people die from guns in public places, such as Starbucks, if we do not enforce stricter gun laws.
    Together we can make positive changes toward safer environments!

-Thank you for your time and support

*Thanks to Protest Easy Guns for providing this information

Post imported post

Wish I could be there. For an Anti Anti gun protest but I have to be at soccer tryouts

Post imported post

Coolman wrote:
    Wish I could be there. For an Anti Anti gun protest but I have to be at soccer tryouts
    Not a good idea, in my opinion. The antis in this case are blatantly ignoring a polite request. Starbucks has asked not to be put in the middle of pro2A/anti2A.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/39395.html

Post imported post

Exactly. Starbucks does not want this controversy. If you want to go, I'd suggest not carrying openly, but patronizing them as an "ordinary citizen" instead. Make the protesters look inconsequential by being a normal person who chooses to ignore their message.

JMHO, I speak for nobody but me.

TFred

Post imported post

Curtis wrote:
    Coolman wrote:
    Not a good idea, in my opinion. The antis in this case are blatantly ignoring a polite request. Starbucks has asked not to be put in the middle of pro2A/anti2A.

If I go I won't be going to protest. I would just go in, buy a drink to show my support (I hate coffee by the way), and leave.

Post imported post

I am very tempted to go without carrying to support starbucks decision. And maybe politely suggest to the antis that they might be happier in Maryland or DC. Hahaha.

Post imported post

I miss spoke I was just referring to supporting Starbucks by buying a drink while open carry. Most of these Anti groups seem to be small but vocal. If more of us show up then them it has to put a sour taste in there mouths and reaffirms Starbucks choice to support the 2nd Amendment. Be Safe

Post imported post

I don't think I can make it...I'm not a big supporter of biological warfare. (I've been pretty sick the past couple days and am still not feeling much better yet).

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I like it go concealed just to cross their picket line, increased sales would be a pretty good way to counter protest.

Post imported post

I have never patronized a Starbucks (not on my own dime anyway), but I think I might go just to see the spectacle, and give the company a little support for being reasonable about this issue. If I do go, I think I willCC, as to respect Starbucks wishesandnot turnthis into something confrontational (other than the display the antis will be making). I think that protests like this will only serve to hurt the antis. Other customers are un-bothered by OC most of the time, because OCers mind their own business and aren't getting up in anyone's face.If these protesters start yelling into bullhorns and waving signs in people's faces as they enter to get a cup of coffee, that is much more likely to bother other customers whomight otherwisebe neutral on the issue.

There is also a good chancethat the local media will be there. Ifwe CC (those of us who can), there is more of a chance of being interviewed as a"neutral" party to the protest. This could provide an additionalopportunity to make the antis look like the only ones disturbing anyone, and present OC and CC as not being a problem for "average" citizens.

Example:

NewsReporter: What do you think of this protest and carrying guns in Starbucks?

CCing OCDO Member and "average" Starbucks customer: I think this protest is down right silly. I think that law-abiding citizens who carry firearms make everyone safer, whether they are in aStarbucks or anywhere else.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Exactly what I was thinking as a plan you just articulated much better.

Post imported post

Curtis wrote:
    Coolman wrote:

BULL!

Too late! The anti's won't leave it alone. We can't let the anti's get away with their crap. If this were in Richmond I would be there.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    Starbucks does not want this controversy. If you want to go, I'd suggest not carrying openly, but patronizing them as an "ordinary citizen" instead. Make the protesters look inconsequential by being a normal person who chooses to ignore their message.

JMHO, I speak for nobody but me (and apparently Ed).

TFred
    :-)
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

I think its best leave this anti-gun rally to itself - Starbucks has asked everybody to leave them alone so please do so - I think going to such anti rallies at thispoint just hurts starbucks and helps the antis who look really dumb at this point

Probably a good idea to avoid gigantic meetups at starbucks too - a much more effective way to normalize gun carry is to just open carry discreetly and go about your business when you visit Starbucks, like Jim "Hot Chocholate man" Snyder, see NBC 4 video at http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...ington_DC.html

Post imported post

T Dubya wrote:
    Curtis wrote:
    Coolman wrote:

BULL!

Too late! The anti's won't leave it alone. We can't let the anti's get away with their crap. If this were in Richmond I would be there.
    I bet they have similar trains of thought when they show up in opposition to hundreds of VCDL members on lobby day with what... 10 antis?

The antis aren't getting away with their crap. Starbucks has told them and the media several times that they will honor states' laws regarding lawful carry and not cater to their hoplophobic tantrums. There is no ultimatum, there is no fighting back/counter protesting needed especially when, as previously stated, Starbucks has asked that their stores and company not be made a staging ground for it.

Post imported post

VApatriot wrote:
    There is also a good chancethat the local media will be there. Ifwe CC (those of us who can), there is more of a chance of being interviewed as a"neutral" party to the protest. This could provide an additionalopportunity to make the antis look like the only ones disturbing anyone, and present OC and CC as not being a problem for "average" citizens.

Example:

NewsReporter: What do you think of this protest and carrying guns in Starbucks?

CCing OCDO Member and "average" Starbucks customer: I think this protest is down right silly. I think that law-abiding citizens who carry firearms make everyone safer, whether they are in aStarbucks or anywhere else.
    I think this is an excellent idea. Granted, you're not OCing, butlook likea neutral observer and can assist in making the protesters look goofy (like they need help with that).

Let's not give Starbucks a reason to hate us. At this rate, they'll hate the anti's in short order.

Post imported post

VApatriot wrote:
    There is also a good chance┬*that the local media will be there.┬* If┬*we CC (those of us who can), there is more of a chance of being interviewed as a┬*"neutral" party to the protest.┬* This could provide an additional┬*opportunity to make the antis look like the only ones disturbing anyone, and present OC and CC as not being a problem for "average" citizens.

Example:

News┬*Reporter: What do you think of this protest and carrying guns in Starbucks?

CCing OCDO Member and "average" Starbucks customer: I think this protest is down right silly.┬* I think that law-abiding citizens who carry firearms make everyone safer, whether they are in a┬*Starbucks or anywhere else.
    I agree with the others, this is definitely the best way to go.

I probably won't make it out to Alexandria on Saturday, but I'll at least get to the Starbucks in Centreville this weekend to give them my business.

Centurion

Post imported post

Hunter45 - I hate coffee, too. Yuck. Glad to know I'm not alone

Anyway, my thinking aligns with many of those above. Go concealed and patronize the place. Mention how silly it is for them to be protesting law-abiding people exercising a right and how much you respect Starbucks for letting freedom ring. If interviewed by the press, same thing.

Let the antis look like the asses that they are.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Ever know anybody that threw a party and nobody came?
    Must be a terrible feeling. :quirky

Starbuck's doesn't want the disruption - let the antis be the bad guys.
    Would be a terrible thing if they carried their "protest" into or on SB property.

No can do - I'll stay far away from there that day.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.ö Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

With the nice weather this weekend the wife and I were already talking about taking the dog to walk around to old town. Could be funny to watch just walking down the other side of the street. Those Antis scare me showing off their 1st ammend rights. They scare me. They just want to show off to make up for lack of ammo in the other dept and every other anti gun cliche used against us.

I just love how they say they respect private property rights then protest when a company tells them they are just following state law and then they protest.

Everyone just agree with us and we will all get along fine attitude

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    I think its best leave this anti-gun rally to itself - Starbucks has asked everybody to leave them alone so please do so - I think going to such anti rallies at thispoint just hurts starbucks and helps the antis who look really dumb at this point

Probably a good idea to avoid gigantic meetups at starbucks too - a much more effective way to normalize gun carry is to just open carry discreetly and go about your business when you visit Starbucks, like Jim "Hot Chocholate man" Snyder, see NBC 4 video at http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...ington_DC.html
    The last guy on that video is awesome...."If he has a weapon he probably has a right to have it."

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    Mike wrote:

The last guy on that video is awesome...."If he has a weapon he probably has a right to have it."
    Yup- see how open carry by folks like Jim bring out positive comments in people?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I'd be willing to bet that the many of the protesters will have Starbucks beverages in their hands or close by. I might be fun to create a video showing the hypocrisies of protesting Starbucks while still using their product. I wish I had the time this weekend to do it and was more skilled at video story telling.
    ---

Post imported post

I told my wife about it and the first thing she said is can we go. She is also going to talk to her boss about it. She is the office manager with a PR firm in old town. Be interesting to see if he wants to do anything.

Post imported post

I live there and will go for my morning coffee.

I never see anyone OC in Old Town.

I am not certain as to the ability to OC in Alexandria. It looks to me that the law states that you can not carry a loaded cenerfire rifle, pistol in Alexandria and several other communities. Dont know if this meansyou can carry an unloaded centerfire, or even a rimfire 22 MAG, as they technically are not infringing upon your right to keep and bear arms.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast