• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Antis will be protesting at Starbucks in Alexandria

hunter45

imported post

I just got this message from the anti-gun "Westfield 32" group at Westfield High School:

--------------------
Subject: PROTEST THIS SATURDAY: NO GUNS IN STARBUCKS!

When: SATURDAY, MARCH 6, 11AM

Where: Starbucks in Old Town, Alexandria, Virginia (next to Potomac River, at 100 S. Union Street/base of King St., not to be confused with the other Starbucks on King St.)

Join Protest Easy Guns at Starbucks to PROTEST GUNS IN STARBUCKS

Private property owners, including restaurants and other retail establishments, can bar guns from their premises if they choose. Officials at Starbucks, however, have continued to welcome the gun-toters.

It's only a matter of time before more people die from guns in public places, such as Starbucks, if we do not enforce stricter gun laws.
Together we can make positive changes toward safer environments!

-Thank you for your time and support

*Thanks to Protest Easy Guns for providing this information

Coolman

imported post

Wish I could be there. For an Anti Anti gun protest but I have to be at soccer tryouts

TFred

imported post

Exactly. Starbucks does not want this controversy. If you want to go, I'd suggest not carrying openly, but patronizing them as an "ordinary citizen" instead. Make the protesters look inconsequential by being a normal person who chooses to ignore their message.

JMHO, I speak for nobody but me.

TFred

hunter45

imported post

Curtis wrote:
Coolman wrote:
Wish I could be there. For an Anti Anti gun protest but I have to be at soccer tryouts

Not a good idea, in my opinion. The antis in this case are blatantly ignoring a polite request. Starbucks has asked not to be put in the middle of pro2A/anti2A.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/39395.html

If I go I won't be going to protest. I would just go in, buy a drink to show my support (I hate coffee by the way), and leave.

Jonesy

imported post

I am very tempted to go without carrying to support starbucks decision. And maybe politely suggest to the antis that they might be happier in Maryland or DC. Hahaha.

Coolman

imported post

I miss spoke I was just referring to supporting Starbucks by buying a drink while open carry. Most of these Anti groups seem to be small but vocal. If more of us show up then them it has to put a sour taste in there mouths and reaffirms Starbucks choice to support the 2nd Amendment. Be Safe:)

nova

imported post

I don't think I can make it...I'm not a big supporter of biological warfare. (I've been pretty sick the past couple days and am still not feeling much better yet).

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I like it go concealed just to cross their picket line, increased sales would be a pretty good way to counter protest.

VApatriot

imported post

I have never patronized a Starbucks (not on my own dime anyway), but I think I might go just to see the spectacle, and give the company a little support for being reasonable about this issue. If I do go, I think I willCC, as to respect Starbucks wishesandnot turnthis into something confrontational (other than the display the antis will be making). I think that protests like this will only serve to hurt the antis. Other customers are un-bothered by OC most of the time, because OCers mind their own business and aren't getting up in anyone's face.If these protesters start yelling into bullhorns and waving signs in people's faces as they enter to get a cup of coffee, that is much more likely to bother other customers whomight otherwisebe neutral on the issue.

There is also a good chancethat the local media will be there. Ifwe CC (those of us who can), there is more of a chance of being interviewed as a"neutral" party to the protest. This could provide an additionalopportunity to make the antis look like the only ones disturbing anyone, and present OC and CC as not being a problem for "average" citizens.

Example:

NewsReporter: What do you think of this protest and carrying guns in Starbucks?

CCing OCDO Member and "average" Starbucks customer: I think this protest is down right silly. I think that law-abiding citizens who carry firearms make everyone safer, whether they are in aStarbucks or anywhere else.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Curtis wrote:
Coolman wrote:

Not a good idea, in my opinion. The antis in this case are blatantly ignoring a polite request. Starbucks has asked not to be put in the middle of pro2A/anti2A.

BULL!

Too late! The anti's won't leave it alone. We can't let the anti's get away with their crap. If this were in Richmond I would be there.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

TFred wrote:
Starbucks does not want this controversy. If you want to go, I'd suggest not carrying openly, but patronizing them as an "ordinary citizen" instead. Make the protesters look inconsequential by being a normal person who chooses to ignore their message.

JMHO, I speak for nobody but me (and apparently Ed).

TFred
:)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I think its best leave this anti-gun rally to itself - Starbucks has asked everybody to leave them alone so please do so - I think going to such anti rallies at thispoint just hurts starbucks and helps the antis who look really dumb at this point

Probably a good idea to avoid gigantic meetups at starbucks too - a much more effective way to normalize gun carry is to just open carry discreetly and go about your business when you visit Starbucks, like Jim "Hot Chocholate man" Snyder, see NBC 4 video at http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/Guns_and_Starbucks_Washington_DC.html

curtiswr

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Curtis wrote:
Coolman wrote:

BULL!

Too late! The anti's won't leave it alone. We can't let the anti's get away with their crap. If this were in Richmond I would be there.

I bet they have similar trains of thought when they show up in opposition to hundreds of VCDL members on lobby day with what... 10 antis?

The antis aren't getting away with their crap. Starbucks has told them and the media several times that they will honor states' laws regarding lawful carry and not cater to their hoplophobic tantrums. There is no ultimatum, there is no fighting back/counter protesting needed especially when, as previously stated, Starbucks has asked that their stores and company not be made a staging ground for it.

Riana

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
There is also a good chancethat the local media will be there. Ifwe CC (those of us who can), there is more of a chance of being interviewed as a"neutral" party to the protest. This could provide an additionalopportunity to make the antis look like the only ones disturbing anyone, and present OC and CC as not being a problem for "average" citizens.

Example:

NewsReporter: What do you think of this protest and carrying guns in Starbucks?

CCing OCDO Member and "average" Starbucks customer: I think this protest is down right silly. I think that law-abiding citizens who carry firearms make everyone safer, whether they are in aStarbucks or anywhere else.
I think this is an excellent idea. Granted, you're not OCing, butlook likea neutral observer and can assist in making the protesters look goofy (like they need help with that).

Let's not give Starbucks a reason to hate us. At this rate, they'll hate the anti's in short order.

hunter45

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
There is also a good chance that the local media will be there.  If we CC (those of us who can), there is more of a chance of being interviewed as a "neutral" party to the protest.  This could provide an additional opportunity to make the antis look like the only ones disturbing anyone, and present OC and CC as not being a problem for "average" citizens.

Example:

News Reporter: What do you think of this protest and carrying guns in Starbucks?

CCing OCDO Member and "average" Starbucks customer: I think this protest is down right silly.  I think that law-abiding citizens who carry firearms make everyone safer, whether they are in a Starbucks or anywhere else.

I agree with the others, this is definitely the best way to go.

I probably won't make it out to Alexandria on Saturday, but I'll at least get to the Starbucks in Centreville this weekend to give them my business.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

Hunter45 - I hate coffee, too. Yuck. Glad to know I'm not alone :lol:

Anyway, my thinking aligns with many of those above. Go concealed and patronize the place. Mention how silly it is for them to be protesting law-abiding people exercising a right and how much you respect Starbucks for letting freedom ring. If interviewed by the press, same thing.

Let the antis look like the asses that they are.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Ever know anybody that threw a party and nobody came?
Must be a terrible feeling. :quirky

Starbuck's doesn't want the disruption - let the antis be the bad guys.
Would be a terrible thing if they carried their "protest" into or on SB property. :cool:

No can do - I'll stay far away from there that day.

Yata hey

Uber_Olafsun

imported post

With the nice weather this weekend the wife and I were already talking about taking the dog to walk around to old town. Could be funny to watch just walking down the other side of the street. Those Antis scare me showing off their 1st ammend rights. They scare me. They just want to show off to make up for lack of ammo in the other dept and every other anti gun cliche used against us.

I just love how they say they respect private property rights then protest when a company tells them they are just following state law and then they protest.

Everyone just agree with us and we will all get along fine attitude