• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Antis will be protesting at Starbucks in Alexandria

nova

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
Here is a pictorial example of my above post. This picture was used by several national media outlets in their coverage of OC at Starbucks. If theyonly getjust one bad angle of a gun-owner, that is almost alwayswhat they will highlight.
Exactly. Why did certain media outlets choose that pic you posted, over the one below? Simply because the one you posted shows gun owners in a negative way.

2011248100.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Let it die down guys - now is NOT the time.

Starbucks wants peace and quite (while offering neutral support).

We could do far worse than to avoid any perception of confrontation right now. When someone steps in waste, the stink gets on a lot of other people too.

Let the antis open their mouths and remove all doubt of who the fools are - but let them play to an empty gallery this day.

IMHO - worth a lot more than 2 cents.

Yata hey

Uber_Olafsun

imported post

I just looked it up and this weekend is St Patty's day parade weekend. The parade will be going on at the same time so not sure if the Antis will even be able to set up a protest if they block the parade route.

bohdi

imported post

You know, the funny thing is, the kids here are the ones that are being exploited, along with Starbucks. Look at their faces :) They don't want to be there lol. I feel sorry for them. Just like I felt sorry for myself when my mom dragged me somewhere I didn't want to be....

ChinChin

imported post

They're protesting at 1 out of 16,635 locations across the world?

Won't even be a blip to corporate. To be effective they would need to have a major impact on the generation of daily business revenue; which would be at a minimumroughly 15% of the overall stores; or 2496 stores.

Starbuck might lose what. . .$70 in sales for the one afternoon protest?

I've got this one guys. I'll have my company order $100 bucks of online product over the weekend with a note in the "additional information" order field which says "thank you for your 2A support" this "counter-protest" will actually net them $30.00 in revenue.

buster81

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

We could do far worse than to avoid any perception of confrontation right now. When someone steps in waste, the stink gets on a lot of other people too.

Let the antis open their mouths and remove all doubt of who the fools are - but let them play to an empty gallery this day.

Yata hey
+1. It's my opinion it will takea while for the dust to settle. Then, the anti's will have their panties in a twist over something else.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

Yeah....Between the "near plumber's crack" and the fact that from that angle you can't see the baby stroller in front of the armed citizen...it paints a picture of a gun toting redneck, instead of a concerned father protecting what is most valuable to him...the latter doesn't fit the anti-gun press' agenda:banghead:

TFred

imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
Yeah....Between the "near plumber's crack" and the fact that from that angle you can't see the baby stroller in front of the armed citizen...it paints a picture of a gun toting redneck, instead of a concerned father protecting what is most valuable to him...the latter doesn't fit the anti-gun press' agenda:banghead:
These two photos and analysis should be a case study in media manipulation.

I do volunteer work with students. Last night during a part of that time, I was also checking up on the Death Subcommittee developments, and a student saw the subject of a web page I was reading. He then proceeded to tell me with wide eyes that he had heard that Virginia is now "gonna allow GUNS in BARS, and how CRAZY was THAT!?" I had the privilege of giving him a short lesson in media manipulation, as I explained to him that there are no "bars" in Virginia, and all it really meant was that now families who feel the need to unobtrusively protect themselves from criminals will simply be allowed to go to an Appleby's or Outback for dinner like everybody else can.

TFred

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

GS, did you ever feel like....like...

herding_cats.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

nova wrote:
fully_armed_biker wrote:
I keep reading about Starbucks asking OC supporters to not put them in the middle of this....however, when did we ever put them in the middle of this? As far as I have seen, the Brady Bunch has put them in the middle of this, not us.
OCers never did.

Heck I've been OCing in various Starbucks for about 2 years now, well before the thing in CA started up with all the media attention. I've never had an issue, and I hope I never do in the future either. I think the point of this thread was saying, don't go there just to counter the anti's.
Its what the antis want - more argument, more drama, more exaggeration of their importance.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

HankT wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

GS, did you ever feel like....like...
No time to talk - too busy emptying all the litter pans. :lol:

Yata hey

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

OTOH going against what I said earlier just letting the antis alone and leaving them looking pathetically small worked really well down in Richmond this year. I have to wonder would the Seattle protest been as highly covered without open carriers there? Certainly our side got a lot of buzz going but I would hate to see the Bradys get stronger riding on our coattails.

As to herding cats that is exactly what this movement is. Strong willed individuals, not everyone is going to follow a game plan. Someone is very likely going to go OCing, sooner or later something will happen out it. I'm sure it will be interesting.

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/m_MaJDK3VNE&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/flash]

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
As to herding cats that is exactly what this movement is. Strong willed individuals, not everyone is going to follow a game plan. Someone is very likely going to go OCing, sooner or later something will happen out it. I'm sure it will be interesting.

I'm just hoping and praying that there isn't a Starbucks in Lansing.

Dman, that would be bad luck..

Chkultr

imported post

I have been reading the posts on the Starbucks Facebook page. I have also been looking at all the photos. I came across one that I know I have seen posted on this forum. Three gentleman standing in front of a Starbucks OC'in! It looks like the Brady Campaign is using this photo to bash the people that are pro gun! I am not sure if anyone else has seen this?!

http://www.facebook.com/Starbucks#!/photo.php?pid=2541720&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=22092443056&id=1153860634&fbid=1379393762243

Riana

imported post

Chkultr wrote:
I have been reading the posts on the Starbucks Facebook page. I have also been looking at all the photos. I came across one that I know I have seen posted on this forum. Three gentleman standing in front of a Starbucks OC'in! It looks like the Brady Campaign is using this photo to bash the people that are pro gun! I am not sure if anyone else has seen this?!

http://www.facebook.com/Starbucks#!/photo.php?pid=2541720&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=22092443056&id=1153860634&fbid=1379393762243

I just read the caption they put on that picture:

This is from the forums of opencarry.org. They are openly flaunting having targeted your business for their antics. I have enjoyed your product, and the environment of your stores for several years. That ends today. No shirt, no shoes, no guns, no service. It's your right as a company to refuse to allow this. When you do, I'll return as a customer.

Wait a sec. Given that "No shirt, no shoes, no service" means you won't get service if you have no shirt and/or no shoes, doesn't "No shirt, no shoes, no guns, no service" mean you won't get service if you have no shirt and/or no shoes and/or no gun? So they're now claiming that Starbucks REQUIRES its customers to be armed? :what:

I find that immensely amusing (and now I'm thirsty for a venti mocha). :lol:

Tomahawk

imported post

I was planning on being in the area tomorrow, and I still have a Starbuck's gift card leftover from Xmas I need to burn, so I might have to stop in and get something to drink. CC, of course.

Although I hate parades, so I may change my mind.

richarcm

imported post

11am huh? Guess I'll have to get an early morning OC coffee and a late morning CC coffee. Good thing I'm addicted to caffeine. :)

I may CC but I may also tell the protesters that because Starbucks is allowing people to carry that I will buy a coffee and support their decision.

hunter45

imported post

Just got another message from the group:

Hi everyone,

Gun owners have been gathering at Starbucks with guns strapped to their hips, intimidating fellow patrons. Starbucks Corporate management is REFUSING to prohibit guns in Starbucks across the country. This is foolish and dangerous.

We are going to PROTEST GUNS IN STARBUCKS.

Please join our protest leaders and activists of Alexandria, Bethesda, Falls Church, McLean, Silver Springs, D.C. and beyond, SATURDAY, MARCH 6, 11AM at Starbucks in Old Town, Alexandria, Virginia (next to Potomac River, at 100 S. Union Street/base of King St., not to be confused with the other Starbucks on King St.) We will be mobilizing the media.

The St. Patrick's parade will be coming down King Street through Old Town at 12:30pm -- this parade attracts thousands, so you need to get there early to get a parking space.

BACKGROUND:
Since the first week of January, gun rights extremists have been showing up in groups at restaurants in California with their guns, much like other demonstrators did last year at President Obama’s events around the country. Three food chains have already announced “no guns” policies, Peet’s Coffee & Tea, California Pizza Kitchen and Buckhorn Grill. Private property owners, including restaurants and other retail establishments, can bar guns from their premises if they choose. Officials at Starbucks, however, have continued to welcome the gun-toters.

If you would like to lead a protest at a Starbucks in your community, in your state, this weekend too, let us know, and we'll advertise your protest.

We've lost so much this year to the NRA and gun lobby -- loaded guns in national parks, guns on Amtrak, guns in restaurants/bars in certain states, constant attacks on forcing loaded guns on college campuses across the country (which we've helped block), etc. etc. -- that now is the time to INCREASE THE PUBLIC'S HEAT OF OUTRAGE ABOUT GUNS ALLOWED ANYWHERE AND EVERYWHERE TO STOP THE MADNESS!

We just want to drink our coffee and have our children eat their scones IN PEACE! Please join us at our Starbucks or yours in protest!

THE PROTEST EASY GUNS MOVEMENT

Here are our protest sign ideas so far (please post your ideas too and we'll add them to the mix!):

Guns and Lattes don’t mix!
Espresso shots, not gun shots!
Decaf Latte OR LOADED GUNS?
Espresso bar or firing range?
Brew of the Day not Ballistics of the Day!
What’s next? Guns in Ice Cream Parlors?
Scones, Children, and Guns Don't Mix!
Starbucks Customer Rewards: Guns?!!!
You Can't Smoke in a Restaurant, but You Can Carry a Gun?
We Don't Want our Children Eating Scones Next to Loaded Guns!
Something Sinister (or Unsavory, Rotten, etc. ) is Brewing
At a coffee shop, "fully loaded" should refer to cream and sugar.
Guns at Starbucks ... leading to a GRANDE size disaster?
Starbucks: Wake up and smell the coffee.
The only shot I want is espresso.
The only shot I want is caffeine.
Coffee mugs and mug shots don't mix.
Starbucks: Now it's more than our pastries that could be hazardous to your health.
A Saturday Night Special at Starbucks Should Mean a Latte and a free pastry!
OR
The only Saturday Night Special I want is a latte and free pastry!
No smoking GUNS in Starbucks!