• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie here

jimd_21

imported post

Hello all.....love the forum....i have learned alot. I am wanting to learn more. So i will keep reading every post in all the states around idaho and in idaho forum.

As to My question this happened today.

http://www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=12086652

What is the distance limit if any for oc/cc to a schools property limits. With all the school shootings this kinda worries me.

turbodog

imported post

jimd_21 wrote:
Hello all.....love the forum....i have learned alot. I am wanting to learn more. So i will keep reading every post in all the states around idaho and in idaho forum.

What is the distance limit if any for oc/cc to a schools property limits. With all the school shootings this kinda worries me.
1000 feet from edge of school property (not from school building itself).

Check your states laws on the subject of Gun Free School Zones.

jimd_21

imported post

So say 3, maybe 4 city blocks....what if this was a innocent citizen ocing and someone called it in.
With 2 schools being locked down how would this play out for the oc'er in your opinion?

1911er

imported post

I know here in washington its legal for me to carry if I am picking up or dropping off my grandchildren at school but I don't belive its legal to carry in the school K---12

t33j

imported post

That law is not enforced where I live at all; I don't worry about it, and I almost completely ignore it. It's ridiculous, especially when considering the last 3 places I've lived were within 1000' feet of a school.

I remember from some previous threads that it tends to be a charge that is tacked on if you end up getting charged with something else while < 1000' from a school.

If you have a permit from your state you can get as close as state law specifies. In Virginia, that's in the vehicle CC, or getting out of the vehicle to secure it in the trunk.

turbodog

imported post

jimd_21 wrote:
So say 3, maybe 4 city blocks....what if this was a innocent citizen ocing and someone called it in.
With 2 schools being locked down how would this play out for the oc'er in your opinion?
I don't know if your state has a Gun Free School Zone law. If it does, it may be more stringent than the federal GFSZ law. The Fed law allows for permit holders and ignorance of just where the GFSZ is. Many state laws do not. Some states have no law on the subject and rely on the federal one. You just have to check for yourself.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

jimd_21 wrote:

It is a factor of your state laws which determines this so check that out. There is a federal statute which addresses this under U.S. Code 18,922 (see the attached link). If your state makes no stipulations or imposes no special restrictions, you can walk by the school fully armed and you will be within your rights if you are in compliance with the law in this link (see (q)(2) about half way down) - the so-called 1000' rule would not apply.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html