• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another GFZ attack

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

March 4, 2010 WASHINGTON — A gunman opened fire at the teeming subway entrance to Pentagon complex Thursday evening, wounding two military police officers before being shot, a spokesman said.

When will they learn?

Lurchiron

imported post

Anthony_I_Am wrote:
March 4, 2010 WASHINGTON — A gunman opened fire at the teeming subway entrance to Pentagon complex Thursday evening, wounding two military police officers before being shot, a spokesman said.

When will they learn?
When will WHO; learn WHAT???

SpringerXDacp

imported post

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20100305/US.Pentagon.Metro.Shooting/

WASHINGTON — A gunman coolly drew a weapon from his pocket and opened fire at the teeming subway entrance to the Pentagon complex Thursday evening, wounding two police officers before being shot and critically wounded, officials said.

Authorities said all three were taken to a hospital. Richard Keevill, chief of Pentagon police, said the two officers suffered grazing wounds that were not life-threatening.

The suspect, believed to be a U.S. citizen, walked up to a security checkpoint at the Pentagon in an apparent attempt to get inside the Defense Department headquarters, at about 6:40 p.m. "He just reached in his pocket, pulled out a gun and started shooting," Keevill said. "He walked up very cool. He had no real emotion on his face." The Pentagon officers returned fire with semiautomatic weapons.

Of the suspect, the chief said, "His injury is pretty critical."

The rush-hour assault happened outside a massively fortified building that nevertheless is near busy crowds of transit riders.

The subway station is immediately adjacent to the Pentagon building. Since a redesign following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attack on the Pentagon, riders can no longer disembark directly into the building. Riders take a long escalator ride to the surface from the underground station, then pass through a security check outside the doors of the building, where further security awaits.

In the immediate aftermath, all Pentagon entrances were secured, then all were reopened except one from the subway, said Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman.

A Pentagon official working late in the building said people inside first heard of the shooting on television. They were later told the building was locked down and to stay in place. The huge five-sided building is crisscrossed by 10 main corridors.

Then at around 7:30 p.m., they heard an announcement on the public address system that they could leave through Corridor 3 — one widely used to get access to one of the parking lots.

"We really don't know anything, just that we can leave now through that corridor," one official said on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak about the incident.

ngeorge9757

imported post

The two officers were armed, so how is this a gun free zone attack?

Would the suspect not be able to surprise the officers if even more armed guards and citizens were present?

I keep reading about officers getting surprised and gunned down. It seems that in a lot of these cases, the element of surprise neutralizes open carry. I am sure open carrying is also preventing some violence, but there are cases like this that underscore the vulnerabilities involved with open carrying.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

ngeorge9757 wrote:
I keep reading about officers getting surprised and gunned down. It seems that in a lot of these cases, the element of surprise neutralizes open carry. I am sure open carrying is also preventing some violence, but there are cases like this that underscore the vulnerabilities involved with open carrying.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both OC AND CC. You pays your money. You takes your chances. That's the way life goes.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ngeorge9757 wrote:

Would the suspect not be able to surprise the officers if even more armed guards and citizens were present?

But no citizen was supposed to have guns there. The law says they cant; but this criminal did. That's the point; not that armed LAC's (law abiding citizens) could have done anything about it. Criminals don't follow laws, therefore the laws only restrict those who will not break them. They only restrict us from defending ourselves or others. They assuredly don't restrict a cool, confident, criminal.

Lurchiron

imported post

ngeorge9757 wrote:

And getting run over by an "empty" dump truck, hurts just as much as getting hit by a full one; wouldn't you agree?

#1 Q: Entrance to Gov. building

#2 Q: If you use a word, please know it's meaning; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surprise_(emotion)

#3 Q: All part of putting down the diaper, andhopping in to the big person pants; now isn't it???

Hope this helps, glad to be of service

ngeorge9757

imported post

I'm just pointing out that a lot of people have this idea that if they OC, they won't be "a victim" or they are safe from crime. This is measurably untrue in a lot of cases I am reading about. If you are going to showcase the cases where OC'ing has made a difference, you should be honest about the incidents that do not support the prevailing theories.

Lurchiron wrote:

#2 Q: If you use a word, please know it's meaning; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surprise_(emotion)

Good advice. Read up:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/surprise

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ngeorge9757 wrote:
I'm just pointing out that a lot of people have this idea that if they OC, they won't be "a victim" or they are safe from crime. This is measurably untrue in a lot of cases I am reading about. If you are going to showcase the cases where OC'ing has made a difference, you should be honest about the incidents that do not support the prevailing theories.

Lurchiron wrote:

Good advice. Read up:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/surprise

You have miscontrued the theory behind OC.

We believe we are LESS LIKELY to be a victem via OC, it isn't fool proof and no one said it was. With 60% of felons preferring not to attack someone that they know is armed, that still lieves the other 40% that are either severelyintellectually challenged orpsychologically deranged. We still have to be on our guard for them.