• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traffic stop and impound

exgabrit

imported post

Good experience (mostly).
This morning got pulled over by Gwinnett County PD. I had an expired tag due to emissions needing fixing and no money to fix.
So I pull off the road into a car dealership parking bay and get my license and license (GFL) out as I've got a Glock 17 in the arm rest. I power down the window and get the usual "tag expired, can't drive with that etc" (Lady Cop#1). I hand over licenses and inform her that there is a side arm, she says to keep hands on wheel and then walks back to her car to call for back up.
About 5-10 minutes later another car shows up and we do the drill of opening the door from the outside etc. Simple pat down and sit over on the hood of the second cruiser. Lady cop makes safe the Glock, I tell the officers before hand that it's chambered (don't want any accidental discharges). We have a few jokes about how much ammo is in the truck (3 full mags of 17 and one in the pistol). After some more laid back chit chat (and some PD remarks about the dealership manager asking how long till the two patrol cars will get moved) Cop#1 says sorry but you'll need to make a call to someone, we'll need to impound. Annoying. oh well, so I get on the phone and call ex-wife to saddle up with the sprog (English for little kid) to come get me and take me on to work. in the meantime i package up some items from the truck, the spare mags etc and put them on the curb. cop#1 puts mag from pistol+ejected shell+ pistol in the bag and i put it next to my other stuff. Yep at this point I have my ID back and unloaded pistol while we wait for my ride. cop#2 takes off and I make some more chit chat with Lady cop#1. She then informs me that she's added another few months to the ticket to be paid (which is nice, gives me till end of June). My ride shows up and we shake hands and she apologizes for having to impound the truck. No hard feelings, that's her job and she needs to follow regs.
All in all, clean and simple run in with GCPD. Must say, very nice people.
Now after work ex-wife drives over to office so we can get the truck out of impound yard and get it back to the house and keep it on the drive way until I have the money to fix it. We drive over to Statewide Wreckers as listed on the business card I got handed. Can't find the place, apparently moved 10 minutes down the street, so we get over there, oh it's not at this site :-/ it's at the Norcross yard. so baby is yelling blue murder so we start driving back to the house. The other yard is like 5 minutes from the house! ugh. So hopefully will pick it up tomorrow and the money spending begins.

rmodel65

imported post

14th amendment: Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

also what are emissions???

dont live in metro ATl we dont have that crap in the rest of GA

exgabrit

imported post

Emissions test.

rmodel65 wrote:
14th amendment: Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

rmodel65

imported post

exgabrit wrote:
Emissions test.

rmodel65 wrote:

i know i was just being sarcastic lol i am allergic to Cats also

exgabrit

imported post

Having lived in CA for 7 years, called it a 'smog' check for a couple of years.
rmodel65 wrote:
exgabrit wrote:
Emissions test.

rmodel65 wrote:

rmodel65

imported post

my smog parts fell off

exgabrit wrote:
rmodel65 wrote:
exgabrit wrote:
Emissions test.

rmodel65 wrote:

exgabrit

imported post

i think your wrenches jumped off the floor and undid the bolts, they do that sometimes.

rmodel65 wrote:
my smog parts fell off

exgabrit wrote:
rmodel65 wrote:
exgabrit wrote:
Emissions test.

rmodel65 wrote:

M

McX

imported post

pleasant and civil treatment. sorry to hear about the impound of your machine. wish you coulda' been closer to my shop, we would have pushed it through to help you out, maybe give you a 'get out of jail free' slip on the emission crap. our state has it too. still, a win in the police contact for you.

smn

imported post

Go read the court case State v. Jones, consider your encounter, and then consider writing a letter to the police chief.

Here's the gist of the case, as from GeorgiaPacking.org:
After an officer seized a rifle from plain view and ran the serial number to see if it was stolen, the Court of Appeals ruled that an officer does not have "carte blanch authority" to secure all weapons at a traffic stop. In order to justify a search of a vehicle for weapons, some conduct on the part of the occupants such as furtive movements or other indications of danger to the officer must be shown, and the officer must have an "objectively reasonable" belief that the occupants of a vehicle are "potentially dangerous."

smn

imported post

Why did they seize the weapon, disarming you, and unloading it? Why the Terry frisk? You could've declined that, but the officer was nice and asked, right? I'm not saying you did anything incorrectly, but it sounds like you weren't a threat to the officer and no furtive movements made. If you do an open records act request for the encounter, did they run the numbers on your gun?

exgabrit

imported post

Officers were very polite and friendly, got the pistol back while I was waiting with the initial officer while my ride was on its way, so no threat at all. don't think they ran numbers, she just held the pistol in her vehicle.

smn wrote:
Why did they seize the weapon, disarming you, and unloading it? Why the Terry frisk? You could've declined that, but the officer was nice and asked, right? I'm not saying you did anything incorrectly, but it sounds like you weren't a threat to the officer and no furtive movements made. If you do an open records act request for the encounter, did they run the numbers on your gun?

Match10

imported post

In Georgia, there is no "officer discretion". If your tags are out of date, your vehicle must be impounded.

It comes as a shock to many, but the state wants their money! Sorry about your truck. Impoundment is expensive.

-----------

I refuse to be condescended to (which means to be talked down to)....

exgabrit

imported post

Yep, cost me $95 to get it out the next day. currently it's still sitting on the drive way until i can afford the repairs. luckily i have access to another car or i'd be walking and busing to work.

Match10 wrote:
In Georgia, there is no "officer discretion". If your tags are out of date, your vehicle must be impounded.

It comes as a shock to many, but the state wants their money! Sorry about your truck. Impoundment is expensive.

-----------

rmodel65

imported post

Match10 wrote:

-----------

wait i thought legacy said that they had officer discretion for everything but insurance???

Match10

imported post

Not to my knowledge... Expired tags are a tax issue and they have no sense of humor.

-----------

rmodel65

imported post

Match10 wrote:
Not to my knowledge... Expired tags are a tax issue and they have no sense of humor.

-----------

a doctor here in my town has no plates and no license....he has insurance and drives without the other 2 always

Match10

imported post

There are people who somehow,seemingly get away with it. My neighbor tried to do that and Cobb's finest waited for him and towed his Charger away.

I have been asked a few days after my birthday if I had renewed my tags and told the officer I did not yet have the sticker from the county. He told me to follow up. However, should your month be up as noted on the sticker, it's my understanding you'll be impounded.

-----------

rmodel65

imported post

Match10 wrote:
There are people who somehow,seemingly get away with it. My neighbor tried to do that and Cobb's finest waited for him and towed his Charger away.

I have been asked a few days after my birthday if I had renewed my tags and told the officer I did not yet have the sticker from the county. He told me to follow up. However, should your month be up as noted on the sticker, it's my understanding you'll be impounded.

-----------

i think he lives on a boat so hes "not a resident" and he bought the car from out of state and hold the MSO??