• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pentagon Shooting 3/4/10

Alexcabbie

imported post

Hmmm. Sounds like a case of "suicide by cop" to me. (The guy just died of his wounds about an hour ago)

He just grazed the two cops at point blank range. They filled him full of lead.

He left a rambling note about 9-11, probably as a cover so his life insurance would be honored.

That's just what it sounds like to me. He was by accounts emotionless; cool, calm and collected. And, he got the drop on the cops, producing his pistol before they knew what he was up to. And he was only able to graze them? Sounds to me like he just wanted to die.

The media is going on and on about how he had a trunkful of ammo in his car, but so what? He had to have known he would have zero chance to run back and reload. Just another cover for the intent of suicide, IMO.

Well, the investigation is continuing. Dollars to donuts the investigation comes to the same conclusion as I posited above.

Alexcabbie

imported post

suntzu wrote:
Lawmaker wrote:
Not possible--handgun carry is outlawed in the District of Columbia for all but the police. So no criminal or citizen would ever think of carrying a handgun anywhere in the District of Columbia...

Actually the Pentagon, albeit its mailing address is "Washington, D.C." is on MY side of the Moat in Arlington VA. But firearms are prohibited on the "Pentagon reservation" This presumably includes the subway station and - if the Pentagon Police want to get cheesy about it, the trains that are in it too.

Anybody who carries on the Metro should probablly check this out, as the PPD is probably going to be a bit hypervigilant for some time.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Unfortunately it seems like the antis are trying to link Virginia gun laws to the shooting, mostly in comments about the story but the meme is popping up.

Judging by his felony arrest for growing pot on his balcony I doubt he could lawfully possess a firearm. Also seems like he was nuttier than a Payday bar.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/03/05/crimesider/entry6269989.shtml
John Patrick Bedell: Rants on Wikipedia and YouTube May Have Foreshadowed BreakdownWASHINGTON John Patrick Bedell may have left red flags all over the internet, including blog posts about 9/11 being a hoax, and YouTube videos ranting about a complex system of "information currency," but it seems that no one was listening. Or at least no one that would do anything to prevent his alleged rampage at the Pentagon Thursday night.

Photo: A gunman opened fire on Pentagon Police Thursday, Feb. 4, 2010.

PICTURES: John Patrick Bedell, Pentagon Shooter

A Wikipedia entry linked to Bedell, posted under the name JPatrickBedell, says that he intended to "see that justice is served in the death of Colonel James Sabow, as a step toward establishing the truth of events such as the September 11 demolitions and institutions such as the coup regime of 1963 that maintains itself in power through the global drug trade, financial corruption, and murder, among other crimes."

Col. Sabow's 1991 death was ruled a suicide but has long been referenced by 9/11 conspiracy theorists, and his own family, as a precursor to the "9/11 demolitions" and an effort to cover-up the government's involvement with the attacks.

A YouTube video, posted by the username jpbedell2006 lays out a theory called "information currency," which describes a "a framework for information management that uses financial markets to create the economic signals (prices) that will effect complex human actions in the real world based on specified information."

In an odd parallel effort, Bedell also condemns what he calls "unjust laws, cannabis prohibition" in the Wikipedia post linked to him, and says he grew 16 cannabis plants on his balcony in Irvine, CA in order to protest those laws.

The law caught up to him that time, but it seemed to only stoke his simmering rage against the government that finally exploded on Thursday, resulting is his death.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Note how the media refer to him as a "gunman". If he had attacked with a knife, they wouldn't call him a "knifeman"; and if he used a sword he wouldn't be a "swordsman" ("Swordsman" being a term of repect for an expert fencer). We have to start protesting the use of this perjorative term.

As I have stated before, there are two basic types of antis. Type Ones are basically good, well-meaning folk who just want a safe and decent society, which is a goal we all share. The Type Two is the kind who uses BS like this "gunman" designation to make as many Type Ones as possible.

One way of distinguishing a Type Two from a Type One is that Type Twos usually have CCWs and/or armed bodyguards.

suntzu

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
The Type Two is the kind who uses BS like this "gunman" designation to make as many Type Ones as possible.

One way of distinguishing a Type Two from a Type One is that Type Twos usually have CCWs and/or armed bodyguards.
Which makes the Type II anti-gunner a huge hypocrite, because they are anti-gun, but at the same time rely on other people with those big mean guns to keep them safe....

They should put a big flashing neon sign on their front yard stating "I'm a hypocrite, because I'm wanting to disarm society as a whole, but I must also rely on others with guns to protect me"....

Skeat

imported post

suntzu wrote
They should put a big flashing neon sign on their front yard stating "I'm a hypocrite, because I'm wanting to disarm society as a whole, but I must also rely on others with guns to protect me"....
Their reasoning is based on the need for an armed guard to fight against another individual with a gun. DUH

Assuming that, once the guns are not available, the need to have protection with guns will not be needed and then they would go to the lesser, swards maybe? But that is not going to happen. Really what would you think to have him protect him self with rocks? Yes this person in a way is a hypocrite but aren't we all in one way or another. I know that I am and I will be the first to admit it. :)

Dreamer

imported post

So let me get the story straight here...

This guy was known by his family to be mentally and emotionally unstable and had been committed to mental institutions at least 3 or 4 times.

He had previously been busted with "possession with intent to distribute" and "Manufacturing a controlled substance".

And he purchased a firearm at a CALIFORNIA gun store through a FFL-holding business?

This whole story is OBVIOUSLY a fabrication and completely made-up, because we ALL know that California has the MOST EFFECTIVE gun laws in the nation, and NOBODY who is mentally unstable, or a criminal, or a convicted felon EVER gets their hands on a gun there.

And since CC without a permit is ILLEGAL in Virginia, we know that the account of his attack must also be untrue, because the "official reports" say he pulled his gun out from under his coat, which would have been concealed. Since VA does not have reciprocity with CA with regards to CC, and since CC without a valid permit is against the law in VA, this COULDN'T be how it really happened...

I call "SHEANIGANS" on the media, because according to the laws in CA, VA not to mention the Federal laws regarding interstate transport, the Brady Act, and NICS background check laws, this situation is simply IMPOSSIBLE...

Unless, of course, this guy was an insane, unstable CRIMINAL with complete disregard for the law, and so all the gun control laws in the world would be no barrier to his disturbed mind.

Oh, wait--that's what happened... oops...

So much for the effectiveness fo "gun control" laws, eh?

Oh, and NOW the media is saying that his "mission was fueled by mental illness, conspiracy theories, and marijuana." WTF? I mean really, folks. How many pot smokers do you know who ever act violently toward anything other than a bag of Doritos or a box of cold pizza? It's like "Reefer Madness" gone digital or something.

Can you say "Hearst Publishing in the 1930's" boys and girls? Yellow Journalism is alive and well once again in the USA...

Dreamer

imported post

All the talk about how this guy's rampage was fueld by marijuana use is really leaving the REAL drug-related causes unexplored. I for one would be VERY interested to see this guy's recent receipts from CVS or Walgreens...

The fact is that if he was diagnosed as bipolar, he was probably on a cocktail of prescription anti-psychotic and psychotropic drugs, ALL of which have as side effects the potential for suicidal and homicidal thoughts, and paranoia.

Drugs like Resperdal, Seroquel, and Chantix all can cause serious psychosis if a patient suddenly stops taking them, and have been linked to suicides, homicidal thoughts and behavior, and episodes of high-threat paranoia.

If we're going to point a finger at ANY drug-related cause for this incident, it should be pointed at "Big Pharma". The drugs they make are WAY more dangerous and psychosis-inducing than some silly weed...

longwatch

imported post

A little birdie says they are tracing his movements in the NOVA area. He made some purchases of note.

Dreamer

imported post

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, I hope he DIDN'T stop in a Starbucks, Best Buys, Lowes, or WalMart...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
A little birdie says they are tracing his movements in the NOVA area. He made some purchases of note.
Did Bedell buy any guns in NOVA?

Alexcabbie

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
All the talk about how this guy's rampage was fueld by marijuana use is really leaving the REAL drug-related causes unexplored. I for one would be VERY interested to see this guy's recent receipts from CVS or Walgreens...

The fact is that if he was diagnosed as bipolar, he was probably on a cocktail of prescription anti-psychotic and psychotropic drugs, ALL of which have as side effects the potential for suicidal and homicidal thoughts, and paranoia.

Drugs like Resperdal, Seroquel, and Chantix all can cause serious psychosis if a patient suddenly stops taking them, and have been linked to suicides, homicidal thoughts and behavior, and episodes of high-threat paranoia.

If we're going to point a finger at ANY drug-related cause for this incident, it should be pointed at "Big Pharma". The drugs they make are WAY more dangerous and psychosis-inducing than some silly weed...

Boy howdy. Did you see the ad on TV for an asthma medication where the voice over mentioned as a possible side effect "asthma-related death":what:no kidding, serious business. Yeah, I'll run right out and grab some of that -:uhoh:

And anti-depressives that "may cause suicidal thoughts" etc. And while we are at it, how come these ads for meds for bipolar disorder are designed to repress the manic part? Funsuckers.

longwatch

imported post

HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Did Bedell buy any guns in NOVA?
It wasn't guns that I heard about, but other things. He most likely couldn't have passed an instant check with his felonies and in patient mental health commitment.