• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pentagon Shooting 3/4/10

Alexcabbie

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
I blame the 9/11 "truther" movement.

Rosie O'Donnell, Michael Moore and Van Jones need to be on some kind of "watch list".

I blame the fact that he was a nutty buddy who wanted to die. He never intended to kill any cops. He gotr the drop on them when they were little more than arm's length away, but only grazed them? If I were intent on killing someone and managed to draw first from five feet away, they would be dead. The "truther" angle is not a motive. It is evidence that the "truther" crowd are one or more of the following: treasonous, spectacularly ignorant, spectacularly stupid, spectacularly gullible, in extreme need of having lots of people pay attention to them, or just plain nuts.

That Von Whatever guy who shot up the Holocaust Museum - HE intended to kill, and he did. This maniac just wanted to stop living and draw attention to himself and his deluded ideas, at least in my opinion.

My beloved nephew Brandon was taken in by this "truther" BS. He even did the demonstration of not being able to melt a paper clip with lighter fluid. Fortunately for him, I was able to devise an experiment with wheel weights and a paperclip that showed that metal did not have to melt in order to fail.

Nevertheless it has been shown that about 30% of American adults believe that the 9/11 attacks were planned and executed by the government. Most of this bunch votes for the DemonRatz. IMO we should do a false-flag operation to encourage a third party that will take more votes from the Ratz than even Nader was able to. :cool:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:
A little birdie says they are tracing his movements in the NOVA area. He made some purchases of note.
Did Bedell buy any guns in NOVA?
It wasn't guns that I heard about, but other things. He most likely couldn't have passed an instant check with his felonies and in patient mental health commitment.

That's a good thing, if you're right.

Loonies like Bedell should not be allowed to obtain guns. Even if he hadn't committed a violent crime previously, he was not stable enough mentally to own or use a gun. Too dangerous.

But how did he get past the check in Cali? Anyone know?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

HankT wrote:
Loonies ... should not be allowed to obtain guns. Even if he hadn't committed a violent crime previously, he was not stable enough mentally to own or use a gun. Too dangerous.

How'd you get past yours?

I got past mine by maintaining a clearance for thirty years with biennial competency testing rigorous enough to be worth a $10K bonus.

If a felon may properly be disbarred his rights under color of law then we can all be legally disarmed merely by sufficiently lowering the bar of felony, to Hank's level.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
HankT wrote:
Loonies ... should not be allowed to obtain guns. Even if he hadn't committed a violent crime previously, he was not stable enough mentally to own or use a gun. Too dangerous.

How'd you get past yours?

I got past mine by maintaining a clearance for thirty years with biennial competency testing rigorous enough to be worth a $10K bonus.

If a felon may properly be disbarred his rights under color of law then we can all be legally disarmed merely by sufficiently lowering the bar of felony, to Hank's level.
Do you favor allowing felons to have guns legally, Dougs?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:
HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:
A little birdie says they are tracing his movements in the NOVA area. He made some purchases of note.
It wasn't guns that I heard about, but other things. He most likely couldn't have passed an instant check with his felonies and in patient mental health commitment.

Loonies like Bedell should not be allowed to obtain guns. Even if he hadn't committed a violent crime previously, he was not stable enough mentally to own or use a gun. Too dangerous.

He couldn't have bought any firearms in Virginia at all because he was a California resident. That alone would have stopped him if he had tried to get a shotgun or rifle That said he could have done plenty of harm with what I know he did buy here and there are no checks on those things.

How did he get one in California? Fake ID comes to mind or their system of checks is very weak, maybe a straw purchase or a dirty dealer. Just goes to show how one way or another criminals will get weapons.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:
HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:

He couldn't have bought any firearms in Virginia at all because he was a California resident. That alone would have stopped him if he had tried to get a shotgun or rifle That said he could have done plenty of harm with what I know he did buy here and there are no checks on those things.

How did he get one in California? Fake ID comes to mind or their system of checks is very weak, maybe a straw purchase or a dirty dealer. Just goes to show how one way or another criminals will get weapons.
So, what you're saying is that gun control in CA failed but that guncontrolin VA worked. Got it.

That means we need to make gun control in CA as good as it is in VA, right?

Tomahawk wrote:
How did he get a gun? Because gun control doesn't work.
Did you not just read LW's post? He said that Bedell, a known criminal, could not have a gotten a gun in VA. That means that control does work.

Sheeze, Thawk. You're missin' stuff lately...

Dreamer

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
My beloved nephew Brandon was taken in by this "truther" BS. He even did the demonstration of not being able to melt a paper clip with lighter fluid. Fortunately for him, I was able to devise an experiment with wheel weights and a paperclip that showed that metal did not have to melt in order to fail.

Wheel weights? WTF?

I bet the Chinese are going to be REALLY pissed when the realize that all that scrap they are buying from the WTC cleanup is better suited for casting letterpress type and "Minnie Balls" than for building bridges and automobiles... :shock:

Wheel weights? Yeah, that was a REAL scientific experiment. Since when were lead, tin and antimony considered to be suitable ingredients for the manufacture of structural steel? I was always under the impression that steel was made from iron, chrome molybdenum and carbon, but you know, I guess we can't let troublesome things like physics, metallurgy and chemistry get in the way of a good cover story, eh?

The 9/11 Commission is the 21st century version of the Warren Commission.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:

Wheel weights? WTF?

I bet the Chinese are going to be REALLY pissed when the realize that all that scrap they are buying from the WTC cleanup is better suited for casting letterpress type and "Minnie Balls" than for building bridges and automobiles... :shock:

Wheel weights? Yeah, that was a REAL scientific experiment. Since when were lead, tin and antimony considered to be suitable ingredients for the manufacture of structural steel? I was always under the impression that steel was made from iron, chrome molybdenum and carbon, but you know, I guess we can't let troublesome things like physics, metallurgy and chemistry get in the way of a good cover story, eh?

The 9/11 Commission is the 21st century version of the Warren Commission.

I used wheel weights as stressors for the paper clip to show that it did not have to melt to fail under stress.

Hope that clears that up.

Dreamer

imported post

So, we're what, three days into this story, and there has been what, ZERO mention of the list of psychotropic perscription drugs this guy was on (or supposed to be on)?

It's also interesting that VERY little is being said about this fellow's educational field (biochemistry) or his research on advanced bioweapons as a grad student.

What is it with biologists who do military research? This guy was cut from the same academic cloth as that nutcase woman at the University of Alabama.

Why is the media not exploring this? Why don't they do more research into his past, his possible connections to military research, and where he got his funding for his research?

Want to know who the media REALLY serves? Follow the money, folks...

Deanimator

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
I used wheel weights as stressors for the paper clip to show that it did not have to melt to fail under stress.

Hope that clears that up.
My most recent employer, who has a long background in manufacturing, upon hearing about Rosie the Retard's comment that "fire can't melt steel" simply asked, "Then how do they make it?"

9/11 "truthers" are just like Holocaust and Hiroshima "truthers". Ignorance of and dishonesty about the fundamental issues are the core of those "movements".

longwatch

imported post

HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:
HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:
HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:

So, what you're saying is that gun control in CA failed but that guncontrolin VA worked. Got it.

That means we need to make gun control in CA as good as it is in VA, right?

Tomahawk wrote:
How did he get a gun? Because gun control doesn't work.
Did you not just read LW's post? He said that Bedell, a known criminal, could not have a gotten a gun in VA. That means that control does work.

Sheeze, Thawk. You're missin' stuff lately...
You assume to much, California while preventing its residents from getting guns out of state didn't prevent this guy from getting one in state and it's not Virginia's gun control it's federal that would have prevented him from getting anything out of state.

longwatch

imported post

Found a follow up story apparently he was able to purchase firearms and had Taurus and Ruger 9mms at the time of the shooting. So maybe not a failure of gun control, just a failure to recognize the need to treat a dangerous and mentally unstable man.

http://wtpotus.wordpress.com/2010/03/05/john-patrick-bedell/
In June 2006, police in Irvine (Orange County) arrested Bedell for growing 16 marijuana plants on his apartment balcony. “The cops had to carry him down three flights of stairs,” Irvine police Lt. Henry Boggs said Friday.
Bedell was convicted of misdemeanor resisting arrest, put in a drug court program and told not to have firearms, a restriction that was lifted last year.

The Orange County marijuana case wasn’t Bedell’s only run-in with the law. In August 2007, he was arrested for brandishing a 6-foot-long martial arts stick at a man in Mountain View when he was told he couldn’t play soccer, police said.
“The suspect swung the stick at the victim and said, ‘Do you want to keep your original teeth?’ ” Steve McCoy, a Mountain View police spokesman, said Friday.
Bedell was given 20 days doing work in lieu of jail after pleading guilty to disturbing the peace.

Bedell’s mental problems, however, were apparent to law enforcement. In 2003, a San Benito County sheriff’s deputy spotted him disoriented late at night, wandering in the middle of a street in Hollister, Sheriff Curtis Hill said Friday. He was taken to his parents’ home.
On Jan. 3 of this year, the Texas Highway Patrol stopped Bedell near Amarillo for speeding. A patrolman said Bedell was behaving strangely, but he let him go with a warning after calling Bedell’s mother, Hill said.
Bedell’s family learned that he had returned to California when they discovered he had made a $600 purchase at a gun range near Sacramento on Jan. 10, Hill said. It is unknown what he bought, but the sheriff said Bedell’s parents had told authorities they were “concerned.”
Under federal law [Should read California law], Bedell would have had to wait 15 days after buying a gun to take possession. He did not have a felony conviction and had not been involuntarily committed to a mental institution, so he was eligible to purchase a firearm.