• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NY Rules

Roughneck5449

imported post

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of getting my pistol permit in Orange County, NY (3 months and waiting). I have a lot of friends that have their permits and everyone tells me different things. On the news today was the first I ever heard of not being able to openly carry as all my friends do without ever being bothered, along with undercover officers around my workplace (where we go to delis, parks, everywhere and not once have they ever been approached in my presence). In my handgun safety class the NRA instructor says you absolutely can openly carry but does not recommend as it leads to constant questions. My friends also claim as silly as it sounds the restrictions are only for the county the permit was issued. Another crazy thing they claim is that you give up your right to refuse a warrantless search of your home or property once you obtain your permit.

Can anyone clear any of this up for me.

Thanks

redlegagent

imported post

Yes, everything you claim your friends have told you is B.S. FYI - a NRA "certified instructor" is someone who paid money to take a class on how to give classes, they are not the Oracle of Oz. ;)

oneofthepeople

imported post

I had a NYS Pistol License to Carry Concealed in both upstate and NYC at the same time (those days are gone) but now live in NJ so...
I highly recommend getting the following book which will answer all your questions if you want to "play by the rules" or at least know them. It's the "bible" on the subject.

Firearms and Weapons Laws: Gun Control in New York
~ Lee O. Thomas (Author), Jeffrey Chamberlain (Author)