• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ken Schram on CeaseFire's Starbucks attempts

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

http://www.komonews.com/opinion/kenschram/86370572.html

They want private business to do what the government won't.

Gun control advocates are pushing Starbucks and a few other retailers to keep weapons out of their stores by setting up "gun free zones."

This little legal dust-up got its legs down in California.

That's where folks focused in on that state's open carry law, which allows them to strap on their pistols in view of everyone to see.

In all, 29 states, including Washington, have such open carry laws.

Gun control folks turned out here in Seattle yesterday, petitioning corporate Starbucks to ban guns in its coffee houses everywhere.

To be honest, I've never seen anyone ordering up a mocha frappachino while packin' a pistol.

Being candid, it wouldn't bother me if I had.

To Starbucks' credit, its response has been that it will go with state laws and not the mood of alarmists.

What's puzzling is that I think there are bigger bullets for gun control advocates to bite on.

Working to keep illegal guns off the streets and out of the hands of criminals and joining with gun rights groups to promote better gun safety to name but two.

But making an end run around the law to get private business to do what the government won't?

Sure doesn't make my day.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I sent an email to Ken in response, saying:

Mr. Schram,

Let me preface with saying that you and I normally have differences in our views, although I do appreciate seeing things from the 'other guy's perspective.' I am college-educated, a white-collar worker, former boy scout and search and rescue volunteer, and a father of three. I live in the city and would not be anywhere close tobeing what some people would label a 'redneck.'

I've been an on-and-off open carrier for a few yearsnow, and like to think I'm fairly prudent with respect to when Ichoose to carry openly versus concealed (which I am licensed to do). While I do not speak for the 'group' I will say that publicity is what the open carry group has lacked. Until now. In the last two or three weeks,Washington CeaseFire has donemore publicityfor us than we could have ever hoped for.After reading these articles and hearing the stories about CeaseFire's efforts to pushfor aban on 'openly carried guns' in the Starbucks locations, people have been very quick to connect the fact that if they are trying to banthe practice, it must begenerally legal. A few keystrokes at Googleand they findthe opencarry.org forum, and thenthe Washington-specific forum (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55), and realize the ability of a normal person to openly carry a handgun in our state.I have personally seen an upswing in the amount of people posting to the forum saying that they are "new to the forum" in these past few weeks.This publicity is more than our small group has had in a long while, and we have CeaseFire to thank for that.

Thank you for your recent editorial on the Starbucks/Open Carry issue. I think you hit the nail right on the head. I have personally taught firearms safety courses and supervised a local indoor pistol range, and would love to get back into teaching safe gun handling. Guns are not going away, to pretend that they can just become a thing of the past is foolish. Learning to live with (or at least,around) them is a much more responsible approach to the issue.

If I can be of any assistance with this issue, please do not hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Jeff ---------
"G20-IWB24/7" on opencarry.org

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
I sent an email to Ken in response, saying:

Mr. Schram,

Let me preface with saying that you and I normally have differences in our views, although I do appreciate seeing things from the 'other guy's perspective.' I am college-educated, a white-collar worker, former boy scout and search and rescue volunteer, and a father of three. I live in the city and would not be anywhere close tobeing what some people would label a 'redneck.'

I've been an on-and-off open carrier for a few yearsnow, and like to think I'm fairly prudent with respect to when Ichoose to carry openly versus concealed (which I am licensed to do). While I do not speak for the 'group' I will say that publicity is what the open carry group has lacked. Until now. In the last two or three weeks,Washington CeaseFire has donemore publicityfor us than we could have ever hoped for.After reading these articles and hearing the stories about CeaseFire's efforts to pushfor aban on 'openly carried guns' in the Starbucks locations, people have been very quick to connect the fact that if they are trying to banthe practice, it must begenerally legal. A few keystrokes at Googleand they findthe opencarry.org forum, and thenthe Washington-specific forum (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55), and realize the ability of a normal person to openly carry a handgun in our state.I have personally seen an upswing in the amount of people posting to the forum saying that they are "new to the forum" in these past few weeks.This publicity is more than our small group has had in a long while, and we have CeaseFire to thank for that.

Thank you for your recent editorial on the Starbucks/Open Carry issue. I think you hit the nail right on the head. I have personally taught firearms safety courses and supervised a local indoor pistol range, and would love to get back into teaching safe gun handling. Guns are not going away, to pretend that they can just become a thing of the past is foolish. Learning to live with (or at least,around) them is a much more responsible approach to the issue.

If I can be of any assistance with this issue, please do not hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Jeff ---------
"G20-IWB24/7" on opencarry.org

Nice job!

ghosthunter

imported post

Ken

Thank you for some common sense. I am a member of open carry and I conceal carry. If I conceal carry some where or open carry what is the difference? The gun is still there. It is time as a nation that we move away from this debate. More gun laws will do nothing. There are 20,000 guns laws nation wide and not one of them stopped any shootings. These people who are intent on killing other humans are not hindered by laws which the courts will not and cannot enforce.
Every minute we spend looking at gun laws takes away from any progress towards a solution to stop people from killing each other. Look at every shooting case , how many laws did the killers violate?

The real problem is that six people can know before or after the fact that a guy has or intends to shoot police officers and not one calls to report it. The real problem is that a young women can be repeatedly kicked in the head in front of security guards and a dozen other people and no one steps up to help.
The real problem is a man who can butcher 45 women be convicted of it and go on living at the taxpayers expense. No gun laws will solve these problems, but the legal carry of firearms both in the open and concealed just might help. Why not we have tried everything else.

tyguy808

imported post

Bobarino is really taking out the libs in the commentary! Way to be a calm voice (keyboard) for the OC/2A movement. We're gaining speed and the Brady's can't take it. Let's remember to be good sports, guys and gals, and not throw it in anyone's faces. Just walk a little taller and pat yourselves on the back. Great job!

Bobarino

imported post

thanks:D there's a lot misinformation out there regarding gun rights. i just try to set the record straight. i couldn't believe the guy that said just let the police disarm you and don't complain about it. :shock: speak for yourself buddy!

Bobby

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

my comment.....

First you got use to cussing on TV, then it was ok. Then you got use to sex on TV, again it was alright. Now we got guns out in the open, one day you'll say "It's alright." Get use to it, we are out there and are not going away. I don't carry my gun to make up for any shortages in my anatomy. I carry because the Supreme Court has said that the police are not there to protect you as an individual but to protect society as a whole(see Warren v. District of Columbia). I carry because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

DEROS72

imported post

Well done G20 .We have made some serious progress of late and to have Sch ram see things the way we do is big.I think cease fire and the Brady bunch figuratively shot themselves in the foot with that stunt the other day. I made them seem even more irrelevant.

Dave_pro2a

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
We have made some serious progress of late and to have Sch ram see things the way we do is big.
Considering how anti-gun his rants were back when those ravers (house partiers?)got shot in Seattle, I agree.

heresolong

imported post

Not to quibble too much but this is one of my pet peeves.

You can't have an "amount of people". The word amount is reserved for things that can't be counted. An amount of publicity, a number of people carrying guns.

Sincerely,

Mr. Language Monitor

:)

Machoduck

imported post

heresolong wrote:

You can't have an "amount of people". The word amount is reserved for things that can't be counted. An amount of publicity, a number of people carrying guns.

Sincerely,

Mr. Language Monitor

It's like ''how much vs. how many''. If you measure it, it's ''how much''; if you count them it's ''how many''.

Little Sir Echo (sort of)

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

heresolong wrote:

Sincerely,

Mr. Language Monitor

Sorry, did I mention that my college-education focused on psychology, not language arts? :lol:

that kind of guy

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
heresolong wrote:

Sincerely,

Mr. Language Monitor

It's like ''how much vs. how many''. If you measure it, it's ''how much''; if you count them it's ''how many''.

Little Sir Echo (sort of)
You guys make me proud! :D

kito109654

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
my comment.....

First you got use to cussing on TV, then it was ok. Then you got use to sex on TV, again it was alright. Now we got guns out in the open, one day you'll say "It's alright." Get use to it, we are out there and are not going away. I don't carry my gun to make up for any shortages in my anatomy. I carry because the Supreme Court has said that the police are not there to protect you as an individual but to protect society as a whole(see Warren v. District of Columbia). I carry because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Oh this is good. I like it.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

heresolong wrote:

You can't have an "amount of people".  The word amount is reserved for things that can't be counted.  An amount of publicity, a number of people carrying guns.

Sincerely, 

Mr. Language Monitor

What if he was referring to the collective weight of said people. You can't measure that, so would that be "an amount of people"? :)