• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ken Schram on CeaseFire's Starbucks attempts

heresolong

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
"Sorry, did I mention that my college-education focused on psychology, not language arts? :lol:"

Aren't they mutually exclusive? :celebrate

MD
The engineering major asks "How does that work and can I make it better?"

The physics major asks "What submolecular interaction makes that happen and can I measure it in order to improve our understanding of the universe?"

The business major asks "How much do they cost and can I make them cheaper?"

The psychology major asks "Would you like fries with that?"

:lol:

carracer

imported post

A reply would be interesting. My guess is the guy will read it, fume, and delete it. It's difficult for them to accknowledge common sense and logic. Great Email!

kwiebe

imported post

Usually I avoid clicking on anything with Schram's name on it. Was surprised to find out his view on this.

Also, good letter. You're right about the publicity - talk about backfiring. You can just feel the awareness level rising. Before I came to this forum, only about a year ago, it seemed like open carry was almost a secret. But now I've talked to several people and recently and because of the mentions it has gotten, they catch on right away.

PacWest

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
I sent an email to Ken in response, saying:

Mr. Schram,

Let me preface with saying that you and I normally have differences in our views, although I do appreciate seeing things from the 'other guy's perspective.' I am college-educated, a white-collar worker, former boy scout and search and rescue volunteer, and a father of three. I live in the city and would not be anywhere close tobeing what some people would label a 'redneck.'

I've been an on-and-off open carrier for a few yearsnow, and like to think I'm fairly prudent with respect to when Ichoose to carry openly versus concealed (which I am licensed to do). While I do not speak for the 'group' I will say that publicity is what the open carry group has lacked. Until now. In the last two or three weeks,Washington CeaseFire has donemore publicityfor us than we could have ever hoped for.After reading these articles and hearing the stories about CeaseFire's efforts to pushfor aban on 'openly carried guns' in the Starbucks locations, people have been very quick to connect the fact that if they are trying to banthe practice, it must begenerally legal. A few keystrokes at Googleand they findthe opencarry.org forum, and thenthe Washington-specific forum (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55), and realize the ability of a normal person to openly carry a handgun in our state.I have personally seen an upswing in the amount of people posting to the forum saying that they are "new to the forum" in these past few weeks.This publicity is more than our small group has had in a long while, and we have CeaseFire to thank for that.

Thank you for your recent editorial on the Starbucks/Open Carry issue. I think you hit the nail right on the head. I have personally taught firearms safety courses and supervised a local indoor pistol range, and would love to get back into teaching safe gun handling. Guns are not going away, to pretend that they can just become a thing of the past is foolish. Learning to live with (or at least,around) them is a much more responsible approach to the issue.

If I can be of any assistance with this issue, please do not hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Jeff ---------
"G20-IWB24/7" on opencarry.org

Is this you your attempt at class warfare? Who cares if you are white collar or blue collar. Here is a link to a comparasion of white and blue salaries. I know they took averages under construction worker the wages seems low compared to what I really and I mean really lowmade last year. :lol:

http://blogs.payscale.com/content/2009/02/salary-comparison-blue-collar-white-collar.html

gsx1138

imported post

PacWest wrote:
G20-IWB24/7 wrote:

Mr. Schram,

Let me preface with saying that you and I normally have differences in our views, although I do appreciate seeing things from the 'other guy's perspective.' I am college-educated, a white-collar worker, former boy scout and search and rescue volunteer, and a father of three. I live in the city and would not be anywhere close tobeing what some people would label a 'redneck.'

I've been an on-and-off open carrier for a few yearsnow, and like to think I'm fairly prudent with respect to when Ichoose to carry openly versus concealed (which I am licensed to do). While I do not speak for the 'group' I will say that publicity is what the open carry group has lacked. Until now. In the last two or three weeks,Washington CeaseFire has donemore publicityfor us than we could have ever hoped for.After reading these articles and hearing the stories about CeaseFire's efforts to pushfor aban on 'openly carried guns' in the Starbucks locations, people have been very quick to connect the fact that if they are trying to banthe practice, it must begenerally legal. A few keystrokes at Googleand they findthe opencarry.org forum, and thenthe Washington-specific forum (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55), and realize the ability of a normal person to openly carry a handgun in our state.I have personally seen an upswing in the amount of people posting to the forum saying that they are "new to the forum" in these past few weeks.This publicity is more than our small group has had in a long while, and we have CeaseFire to thank for that.

Thank you for your recent editorial on the Starbucks/Open Carry issue. I think you hit the nail right on the head. I have personally taught firearms safety courses and supervised a local indoor pistol range, and would love to get back into teaching safe gun handling. Guns are not going away, to pretend that they can just become a thing of the past is foolish. Learning to live with (or at least,around) them is a much more responsible approach to the issue.

Sincerely,

Jeff ---------

Is this you your attempt at class warfare? Who cares if you are white collar or blue collar. Here is a link to a comparasion of white and blue salaries. I know they took averages under construction worker the wages seems low compared to what I really and I mean really lowmade last year. :lol:

http://blogs.payscale.com/content/2009/02/salary-comparison-blue-collar-white-collar.html
As a former advocate for gun control I can tell you that the biggest stereotype gun owners have to hurdle is the uneducated redneck. While that opinion is simply based on ignorance it is one that is projected by those in the media. There are many forms of social bigotry that need to be addressed. The stigma of being a gun owner is just one of many.

PacWest

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
PacWest wrote:
G20-IWB24/7 wrote:

Mr. Schram,

Sincerely,

Jeff ---------

As a former advocate for gun control I can tell you that the biggest stereotype gun owners have to hurdle is the uneducated redneck. While that opinion is simply based on ignorance it is one that is projected by those in the media. There are many forms of social bigotry that need to be addressed. The stigma of being a gun owner is just one of many.

Yes and the biggest defenders of anti bigotry is the left. But in truth the biggest bigots I ever met are self proclaimed democrats. The lefts constantly is calling any one that doesn't agree with them stupid ignorant fools.

The media has been pasting gun owners as dumb rednecks for a long time now. If there isn't any time now to take a stand against them it is now.

If a man doesn't stand for something he stand for nothing. The hippie radicals of the 60's are in control. At the time the conservative average American thought they would just go away if they stayed quite. Now look at what they got.

Using their playbook against them is all that is left. Generation X is labled as the generation without a cause.

So what do you really stand for?

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
PacWest wrote:
G20-IWB24/7 wrote:

Exactly. Ten posts and you're already taking shots at why I wrote what I wrote? GSX spelled it out for your. I've been around the debate long enough to know how and what the anti's feed off of. To get that out of the way is just one battle in the war. Don't like it, you're free to write your own letter... but I'm not going to apologize for,or take back what I said.

PacWest

imported post

I don't need anything spelled out for me. Like I said in my other post this is nothing new. Been going on for quite along time. I am also not asking for your apology. I don't want it or need it.

Next time you are driving over a bridge or taking a ride on the light rail to your white collar job in that high rise you better hope that "uneducated cowboy" that built that thing did a good quality job.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

PacWest wrote:
I don't need anything spelled out for me. Like I said in my other post this is nothing new. Been going on for quite along time. I am also not asking for your apology. I don't want it or need it.

Next time you are driving over a bridge or taking a ride on the light rail to your white collar job in that high rise you better hope that "uneducated cowboy" that built that thing did a good quality job.
And its still going on. The liberal media and anti's mislabeling gun owners and carriers as backwoods rednecks. I gave my point of view, after giving a brief background of myself. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe with my background, I can reach a different (not better, just different) group of people than another person here can, and introduce them to shooting and the rights that we enjoy as Americans and Washingtonians. That's what I like about this group, is that many of us come from such different backgrounds, but we are all united by a common thread. I like to think that we can make our differences work FOR us, not against us. (Just a conceptI learned while asking people if they "want fries with that.";)Thanks, heresolong!)

I have nothing against anyone who puts in an honest day's work.Takes all kinds to make the world go'round.I do not know what you are trying to insinuate. What exactly are you trying to prove here?

1245A Defender

imported post

i liked your letter,, just fine the way you expressed your view point...
i really think the brady bunch hit a HOME RUN for our cause,, and schram added the icing:celebrate

(on another note) 11 posts and all is quiet! shhhhh.
i kinda got one of those vibes right out of his first sentence.