• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone know if OC is legal on National Forest land?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

For those who might find this thread:

Taken from: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/LawEnforcement/FAQs/index.shtml#CarryFirearm3

Possession of firearms. The possession and unconcealed carry of a firearm on the national forest is not restricted by federal law or Forest Service regulations with the exception of “prohibited possessors,” such as convicted felons (see 18 USC 922g (http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=browse_usc&docid=Cite:+18USC922) and ARS 13-3101 (http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03101.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS) ). State laws regarding the concealed carry of firearms and the carrying of weapons within or on a motor vehicle apply to all National Forest System lands.
So my understanding would be yes it is legal to OC in the National Forest.

Lurchiron

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
For those who might find this thread:

Taken from: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/LawEnforcement/FAQs/index.shtml#CarryFirearm3

Possession of firearms. The possession and unconcealed carry of a firearm on the national forest is not restricted by federal law or Forest Service regulations with the exception of “prohibited possessors,” such as convicted felons (see 18 USC 922g (http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=browse_usc&docid=Cite:+18USC922) and ARS 13-3101 (http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03101.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS) ). State laws regarding the concealed carry of firearms and the carrying of weapons within or on a motor vehicle apply to all National Forest System lands.
So my understanding would be yes it is legal to OC in the National Forest.

Hubert, do you have any info on the legality of target practice in the Natn'l Forest?

Some friends had said the DNR doesn't allow it.

bluehighways

imported post

The national forest rules are that firearms are fine in their property holdings, but not allowed in any campgrounds, under any circumstances.

I am going pre-season camping this coming week with my girlfriend and we had thought of heading into the national forest.

If we camp inside a campground, no guns are allowed whether cased and in the trunk or not.

If we camp in the bush, which is fine under National Forest regulations, the guns are welcome. But we miss out on the fire ring, picnic table, and we have to pack in and out (and we both got soft this winter, the tough muscles have diminished a bit since last summer)

So I will locate another area to camp in simply because I like to be armed and able to defend myself and the woman I love. No one can predict when the really bad people show up, so best to be prepared.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bluehighways wrote:
The national forest rules are that firearms are fine in their property holdings, but not allowed in any campgrounds, under any circumstances.

I am going pre-season camping this coming week with my girlfriend and we had thought of heading into the national forest.

If we camp inside a campground, no guns are allowed whether cased and in the trunk or not.

If we camp in the bush, which is fine under National Forest regulations, the guns are welcome. But we miss out on the fire ring, picnic table, and we have to pack in and out (and we both got soft this winter, the tough muscles have diminished a bit since last summer)

So I will locate another area to camp in simply because I like to be armed and able to defend myself and the woman I love. No one can predict when the really bad people show up, so best to be prepared.
With all due respect, I can find no such rule. The only rule I could find talks about USE of a firearm at the campground area. Use as in discharge, not carry.

Can you please point me to the rule you are talking about?

bluehighways

imported post

bnh computing: I found the campground rules at recreation.gov

Every campground in the Chequamegon and Nicolet forest is listed in a database, with features and information on each one.

On each campground's page there is an alerts section, and the last sentence for each campground reads "Fireworks and firearms are not allowed in the campground."

On monday I'll call the ranger station and try to get further information, but for now I have to go with "no means no."

Hopefully I'm wrong. Last summer I camped in a beautiful Nicolet Nat'l forest campground outside of Crandon.

Posted on the campground entrance bulletin board was a story about how the local wolf pack had been killing peoples' dogs and cats less than a mile from the campground.

Multiple alerts were posted warning folks not to let their dogs off a leash, and never let children run up ahead and get separated from the parents, lest the wolves make a meal out of them.

I'd like to be armed for something like that rather than looking for a stick to wave at a pack of wolves.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

News to me. I have been OC'ing in the Chequamegon NF (including the campground area) at least every year for the last 15 years!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

bluehighways wrote:

Every campground in the Chequamegon and Nicolet forest is listed in a database, with features and information on each one.

On each campground's page there is an alerts section, and the last sentence for each campground reads "Fireworks and firearms are not allowed in the campground."
That information is incorrect.

National Forests/NPS cannot and do not restrict legally carried guns except in buildings regularly housing employees.

Possession of firearms.

The possession and unconcealed carry of a firearm on the national forest is not restricted by federal law or Forest Service regulations with the exception of “prohibited possessors,” such as convicted felons (see 18 USC 922g (

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=browse_usc&docid=Cite:+18USC922

and ARS 13-3101 http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03101.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

State laws regarding the concealed carry of firearms and the carrying of weapons within or on a motor vehicle apply to all National Forest System lands.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/LawEnforcement/FAQs/index.shtml#CarryFirearm3

You may go camping and take your personal protection device with you in accordance with the laws of the state in which the campground is located.

Yata hey

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bluehighways wrote:

On monday I'll call the ranger station and try to get further information, but for now I have to go with "no means no."

Hopefully I'm wrong. Last summer I camped in a beautiful Nicolet Nat'l forest campground outside of Crandon.

Posted on the campground entrance bulletin board was a story about how the local wolf pack had been killing peoples' dogs and cats less than a mile from the campground.

Multiple alerts were posted warning folks not to let their dogs off a leash, and never let children run up ahead and get separated from the parents, lest the wolves make a meal out of them.

I'd like to be armed for something like that rather than looking for a stick to wave at a pack of wolves.
bluehighways is correct in that the site does indeed say this. Please continue with your investigation/inquest.

We are all very interested in what you learn on Monday.

bluehighways

imported post

The weather is also going to be very nice on Monday, and my girlfriend and I will be taking the motorcycle out for a ride.

We will probably go visit a Nat'l forest campground or two/three, and see if there is any signage on the entrance bulletin boards.

I cannot remember from last year if I saw any signs or not. It should be a nice day to take a ride and find out, though.

If there are signs warning of firearms being prohibited, I'll photograph and post a picture or two.