• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC Who is right LAPD or LASD?

Sam-Dimas

imported post

I live in a part of los angeles county patroled by lasd, Their OC memo to it's departments says that you can't be within 1500ft of a school. lapd & every other department says a school safe zone is 1000ft. Who is correct?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Sam-Dimas wrote:
I live in a part of los angeles county patroled by lasd, Their OC memo to it's departments says that you can't be within 1500ft of a school. lapd & every other department says a school safe zone is 1000ft. Who is correct?

The California penal code, unfortunately.

Search 626.9, gun free school zone...

Basically states that possession is prohibited within 1000 feet of a school.

JJ

imported post

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Arnie signed a new bill which will change it to 1500 ft.later this year. Not sure exactly when. I'm sure someone more knowledgable than myself can elaborate.

jsebclark

imported post

JJ wrote:
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Arnie signed a new bill which will change it to 1500 ft.later this year. Not sure exactly when. I'm sure someone more knowledgable than myself can elaborate.

The 1500 ft isn't law... YET! AB 668 was introduced last year and is making its way through the legislative process. It has been approved in the State Assembly and is in the Public Safety Commitee in the State Senate right now. It looks like it got through the assembly without and problems. (i.e. no one even voted against it)

When the bill was first introduced it only changed the 1000 ft rule to 1500 ft. Over the process it has been amended and now has some other provisions in it that make lawfull pocession of pistols not so bad, but you still wouldn't be able to open carry within the 1500 ft. Well you wouldn't be able to open carry with a firearm that is conceable. So I guess we could protest that one with open carry of other firearms:)

Anyways... Hopefully it might get amended again after the SCOTUS decision in June.

Also, in the text of the bill it states that it is to provide safety and security to students and teachers, so does that mean there are checkpoints 1500ft from the school on every transportation route in order to ensure our students and teachers safety? What do you think?

Also in the text it talks about criminal enhancements for illegally carrying in the school zone. If that was the case then we would be able to UOC because we wouldn't be doing it illegally, right?

Wc

imported post

Sam-Dimas wrote:
Show us the memo please! And what's lasd?

Wc

imported post

JJ wrote:
You've gone too far! Who's Arnie??? What's the bill number?? Where's the bill now?!?Who's can really signed the new bill?

Wc

imported post

jsebclark wrote:
Also in the text it talks about criminal enhancements for illegally carrying in the school zone. If that was the case then we would be able to UOC because we wouldn't be doing it illegally, right?
Which part you do not understands? GUN FREE ZONE

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member

Sam-Dimas

imported post

Asking a question to others with more knowledge is part of home work. but there seems to be a discrepancy with the la sheriffs department & others. I live over 1000ft but within 1500ft from a school so I need all the info I can get

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

1500 is the "safe school zones" that create sentence enhancements for dealing drugs and other things.

The Gun Free School Zones are 1000, although there was a bill to extend that to 1500 feet, but as far as I know it didn't pass.

jsebclark

imported post

Theseus wrote:
1500 is the "safe school zones" that create sentence enhancements for dealing drugs and other things.

The Gun Free School Zones are 1000, although there was a bill to extend that to 1500 feet, but as far as I know it didn't pass.

[align=right]Issue:
INCREASE GUN-FREE ZONES[/b] (Lieu)

Description:
Increases School Gun Free Zone from 1000' to 1500' for the criminal possession of a firearm.

This bill would extend the "gun free" zone distance from 1,000 feet to 1,500 feet from the grounds of a public or private school.[/b]

Latest Info:
style="BACKGROUND: yellow"09/16/2009 - AB 668 failed to pass the legislature in 2009 but may return in 2010.[/align]

jsebclark

imported post

Wc wrote:
jsebclark wrote:
Which part you do not understands? GUN FREE ZONE

Thank you for your very obvious comment. Unfortunately I didn't get my point across.

Here is a little excerpt from the Legislative Analysis:

COMMENTS : According to the author, "AB 668 will expand the
boundaries of the Gun-Free School Zones from 1,000 feet to 1,500
feet in an effort to restrict the possession of firearms within
school zones and to conform the boundaries with Safe School
Zones. This bill will ensure that criminal possession or use of
a gun around schools is still applicable to the Gun-Free School
Zone Act.
"AB 668 also clarifies the exceptions to the Gun-Free School
Zone Act applies only to individuals who are in lawful
possession
or who are lawfully transporting a firearm.
These
clarifications ensure that individuals who illegally possess
firearms are not able to exploit the Act's exemptions thus
maintaining the Legislature's original intent.

My point is that if this is the intent of the law, then people who lawfully carry within school zone are not criminals and are part of the clarified exceptions. The problem is that the intent of the law as stated above says one thing, while the content and substance of the law says something different. For example,the actual text of the law says that NO one can carry at all, but the intent as written above states that it is to close loop holes on criminals, not law abiding citizens.