• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC is the Springs

Soonerfan

imported post

1. Has anyone had problems with cops harassing them while you were OC'ing in Colorado Springs?

2. Where is the statute that allows OC'ing in Colorado Springs? I want to be able to prove to a cop that I'm just exercising my rights if I'm ever stopped.

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

Neither I or my my g/f have ever had a problem OCing in the Springs, not even a tiny one, not even once...I don't believe anyone else has either.

There is no law that allows OC, laws are written to restrict behavior, not encourage it. There is no law that prevents any law-abiding citizen from open carrying.

Brush up on and know the law, you can start here http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/23366.html and carry proudly.

ETA: here is the COS statutes that says that open carry is fine as long as you don't "brandish" and no OC in city buildings

from http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/CO/Colorado Springs/index.htm

9.7.103: POSSESSION OR DISPLAY:
A.It is unlawful for any person to sell, display, use, possess or carry any switchblade or gravity knife or blackjack. Any weapon is declared to be contraband and shall be destroyed.
B.It is unlawful to knowingly display a firearm or other dangerous or deadly weapon, or any object resembling same which is intended by the actor to intimidate, threaten, alarm or frighten any person.
C.For purposes of this section, "display" means any opening, or unfolding, manifestation, exhibition, ostentatious showing, or exhibition for effect meant to intimidate, threaten, alarm, or frighten any person.
D.It shall be an affirmative defense that the actor displayed the weapon in self-defense, or to defend another person, or to defend the actor's premises or property. All other applicable State defenses apply.
(1968 Code �8-14; Ord. 80-13; Ord. 97-132; Ord. 01-42; Ord. 03-105)
9.7.107: OPEN CARRYING OF FIREARMS:
A.It shall be unlawful for any person to openly carry any firearm within any building owned or leased by the City.
B.The person or persons reporting directly to City Council who have administrative or supervisory authority over any building or specific area owned or leased by the City, including the City Manager, Chief Executive Officer of Colorado Springs Utilities, City Attorney, City Clerk, City Auditor, Municipal Court Administrator, Presiding Judge of the Municipal Court, Memorial Hospital Board of Trustees and their designees, are hereby authorized to post signs at the public entrances to City owned or leased buildings informing the public that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited.
C.This section shall not apply to peace officers and shall not be deemed to affect or impair in any way the authority of any public or private property owner other than the City to prohibit the carrying of firearms into or upon other public or private property.
D.This section shall not apply to an employee of the City or any of its enterprises who is authorized by the City Manager, the Chief Executive Officer of Colorado Springs Utilities, or the Chief Executive Officer for Memorial Health System to carry a firearm in the performance of that person's duties and who was, in fact, engaged in the performance of those duties.
E.This section shall not apply to a private security officer holding a firearm endorsement while providing security services to the City or its enterprises pursuant to a contract with a private security agency.
(Ord. 03-132; Ord. 07-197)

ZackL

imported post

In the short while I've been OCing, the only issues I've run into are with private businesses. I've even been all over the Citadel area (not in the mall itself, but surrounding buildings) and haven't a had a problem, just a single business on the north side of town. Cops, if they notice, generally don't seem to mind and pass it off with either a nod or a glance and then eye contact. As long as you're not breaking a law (pulling it out, implying the use of it if you're in a confrontation, etc.) there shouldn't be a problem.

Gunslinger

imported post

No problem in the Springs or El Paso County, period. There is no statute making OC legal in CO. But there is no statute making it illegal, either. That makes it lawful except in Denver County and where clearly posted, on government owned with metal detectors at entry, or private property which will be up to the owner as to allow guns or not.

cscitney87

imported post

I can't wait to open carry at Garden of the Gods! Hey- does anyone know if the "Cave of the Winds" facility has a no firearms policy? Is it semi-public anyway? I can't seem to find any information, regarding firearms, in their websites. I could just call them up, but wanted to get something in writing- or have a written reference if I was approached by staff.

cscitney87

imported post

PikesPeakMtnMan wrote:
I was at Cave of the Winds about a year ago and didn't see any signs....it was cold and I was CCing so I can't saw how they would react but there were no signs.
Thanks I really appreciate it!

bomber

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
I can't wait to open carry at Garden of the Gods!  Hey- does anyone know if the "Cave of the Winds" facility has a no firearms policy?  Is it semi-public anyway?  I can't seem to find any information, regarding firearms, in their websites.  I could just call them up, but wanted to get something in writing- or have a written reference if I was approached by staff.

i would just go for it. i wouldn't ask first. but thats just me. by the way, cave of the winds was pretty fun.

OCinColorado

imported post

I have OCed for a long time before I ever found this site. I am glad to find so many "like minded" people:celebrate

Before I moved here to Colorado Springs I used to live in Mesa, Arizona and Oced there also!

So far I have NEVER had any issues with anyone!

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

since9 wrote:
I think there's also a restriction against OC on public transportation, so whatever you do, don't take the city bus!
I don't feel like looking up the code right now, but I believe it just has to be unloaded if on public transportation.