• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

North Alabama

Vondelta

imported post

Just give me a call on my cell when you are interested. I have not been going lately because no one seems to be interested. I would be more than happy to have a cup of joe at starbucks with a fellow pro 2nd amendment person.

Ruger .454

imported post

Thanks for your reply! I'd be glad to meet with you, sir. Although I've had a concealed carry permit issued by the Madison County Sheriff's office for going on 30 years, it is completely new information to me that Alabama is an open carry state. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around that, so I'd value the opportunity to discuss it with someone more knowledgeable.

All I want to do is open carry when I'm on training hikesin the local area in preparation for serious mountaineering in Colorado and Wyoming. I carry whenever it's not prohibited, but concealing a firearm (even my Glock 27) on my waist with a backpack's waist belt over it is damned unpleasant. It isn't much fun to have to service a sweaty weapon every time, either. I'd love to be able to use a thigh rig, especially since that's the way I climb in the Rockies.

Pursuant to that, I've written to both Sheriff Dorning and the acting HPD Chief to advise them of my intentions and to hopefully elicitresponses that I can photocopy and carry with me in case a HPD officer or Sheriff's deputy stops to chat. I don't want to cause a LEO any concern whatsoever under any circumstance.

My name is Russ andyou can call me at work at 256-876-4112.

KCinBAMA

imported post

Ruger .454 wrote:
Pursuant to that, I've written to both Sheriff Dorning and the acting HPD Chief to advise them of my intentions and to hopefully elicitresponses that I can photocopy and carry with me in case a HPD officer or Sheriff's deputy stops to chat. I don't want to cause a LEO any concern whatsoever under any circumstance.
As a Madison resident, I would be very interested in the response you get. I'm new here too and I just finished reading AGO1984-205. I wonder if having a copy of that letter would be enough? It is much shorter than the tri-fold and after highlighting the first two questions and answers, it would be a quick read for any LEO. "But officer, the Attorney General of Alabama said 16 years ago that open carry is legal without a permit - here's his signed letter"

Ruger .454

imported post

Good talking with you! I've got a copy of AGO1984-205, but I'm not sure how convincing a 26 year old opinion by a poorly regarded Attorney General is likely to be. My thinking is that a response from either the current sheriff or police chief would be a lot more compelling. As of today (7/24) I've had no response from either, but it's been less than a week since I wrote to them. We'll see.

JohnH

imported post

Ruger .454 wrote:
Good talking with you! I've got a copy of AGO1984-205, but I'm not sure how convincing a 26 year old opinion by a poorly regarded Attorney General is likely to be. My thinking is that a response from either the current sheriff or police chief would be a lot more compelling. As of today (7/24) I've had no response from either, but it's been less than a week since I wrote to them. We'll see.

Visit www.alabamaopencarry.com and click on the Documents and Tools pulldown, then click on "Court Cases" and read "Looney v State". The Appeals Court referenced a 1956 AG opinion aboutopen carry, (It is on the site too)which the later AGO 1984-205 mirrors. This is not any ordinary AG opinion. It has been quoted in a case decision by the Alabama Courts, giving it the full weight of law. Also, you can go to Google, click on Scholar, and look up ETIII v State (or www.findlaw.com. )TheAttorney Generals office, under the watch of Jeff Sessions, tried to pass off an expanded reading of 13A-11-52 which would haveexcluded open carry in public places. The Courtquite plainlyshot that nonsensedown. The two of these together offermore than strong evidence that not only is the AGO1984-205still valid, any reading of 13A-11-52 which would interpret it to mean no open carry off your own property invalid as well.

Also remember that none of the cases referenced at www.alabamaopencarry.comhave been overturned or supersededduring the last 170 years (State v Reid 1840 - present)It was claimed by one person that since the Alabama Constitution has been re-written since 1840 (six times in the states history actually) that State v Reid no longer held. That is untrue.Article 1 Section 23 remains the law in the State of Alabama, and is the law referenced in State v Reid, and the law which all that folows is built upon. As well, during all those changes, not oncewas thestate constitution replaced by something altogether different, as in replacing the Articles of Confederation with the Constitution of the United States in 1787 (IIRC)

You are on good footing friend. That doesn't meanyou won't have to fight forrights, it just means that you are far more in the right than someone who wouldattempt to deny that freedom to you. And with the fullbreadth of the case history in the state, the courts would have a danged hard time backtracking themselves at this late date. Just remember that silliness like "disorderly conduct" cancauseheadaches too.

Here is the Code of Alabama if you don'talready have it...

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/coatoc.htm

Ruger .454

Ruger .454 wrote:
As a Madison resident, I would be very interested in the response you get. I'm new here too and I just finished reading AGO1984-205. I wonder if having a copy of that letter would be enough? It is much shorter than the tri-fold and after highlighting the first two questions and answers, it would be a quick read for any LEO. "But officer, the Attorney General of Alabama said 16 years ago that open carry is legal without a permit - here's his signed letter"

KCinBAMA,
It's been about two weeks since I wrote my letter, and I've received no response from either Shariff Dorning or the acting HPD Chief. Official correspondence is usually a 30 day affair and I'm sure that any response I get will have been run past the city attorney, so it pay be longer than that.

AL Ranger

June 10th Get Together?

I plan on being at the Madison Starbucks this Saturday at 10am. It's located in Madison at the intersection of US 72 and Hughes Road. If any of you OC friendly folk want to stop by, I'll be wearing the same Ruger SR9 hat I wore to the Statewide Meeting in Prattville last month. Check out the photos at AOC. See you there I hope! OC, CC or NC...your choice!

Vondelta

I plan on being at the Madison Starbucks this Saturday at 10am. It's located in Madison at the intersection of US 72 and Hughes Road. If any of you OC friendly folk want to stop by, I'll be wearing the same Ruger SR9 hat I wore to the Statewide Meeting in Prattville last month. Check out the photos at AOC. See you there I hope! OC, CC or NC...your choice!

I will try to make it. I drop off my daughter at the airport in the morning, so I'll try to swing by with the wife.

AL Ranger

Last weeks meeting was a little lame and no one showed up but me and one CCer who read about the meet and stopped by. This weekend Saturday the 17th KCinBama and I will be meeting at the Starbucks on University near Memorial Parkway. There is a Costco and Toys R US there. We will be there at 1030AM if you can stop by. Be glad to have you and meet you and the missus.

Last edited:

AL Ranger

Just finished a meet-up with Mr and Mrs KCinBAMA at the Starbucks in Huntsville on University and Memorial Parkway. It's always nice to meet good people and have stimulating pro-gun conversation. I found out that KC is new to guns in general and open carry was a bit of a surprise. I OCed a Glock 22 (40 cal) and KC was CC, and that is OK. It's always nice when the ladies come along and Mrs KC was certainly agreeing to the conversation and adding her own opinions. I guess the topic of guns and carry is the only time we actually WANT TO listen to the ladies, right guys? LOL! We were there for almost 90 minutes until I headed back home and they went to Larry's Pistol and Pawn to make use of the indoor range. I wish I had brought my shooting bag and extra ammo with me.

Any of you guys and gals in and around Huntsville are free to join us next time! Maybe we get the whole gang to go to lunch and then go shoot together. Larry's charges $10 per person for a range pass. You get a free pass when you buy a firearm there...just to let you know. Plus, they have the best prices on guns and ammo. Unfortunately, Larry's has a small parking lot so we may have to carpool.

Last edited:

kentuckywingman

Still meeting Saturdays?

I am brand new to this thread. Have lived in Marshall County for a year. I work off University and would like to stop by a Saturday meeting at the Starbucks. Y'all still doing it?

AL Ranger

I'm bouncing around between the starbucks in Madison and the one in Huntsville. I met up with a CCer in Madison and Mr and Mrs KCinBAMA in Huntsville. I'm still trying to grow the group so any responses would be nice here or Alabama Open Carry. OC, CC or NC...it's all good! Just want to meet and enjoy the fellowship of fellow 2A and OC supporters.

AL Ranger

Until further notice, I will be at the Starbucks in Huntsville at the University and Memorial Parkway intersection. If you come in on University, Starbuck's is behind Books-A-Million. Just pull into B-A-M and head towards Costco. I'll meet any CCers, OCers, and NCers there at about 10:30AM on Saturday.

crs0016

Hey AL ranger, if you're still meeting at the starbucks near B-A-M on Saturdays, let me know and I'll try and meet up with you this saturday. I am brand new to OCing and have never done it before, and it would be nice to have someone with me who has OC experience. Thanks.

AL Ranger

Hey AL ranger, if you're still meeting at the starbucks near B-A-M on Saturdays, let me know and I'll try and meet up with you this saturday. I am brand new to OCing and have never done it before, and it would be nice to have someone with me who has OC experience. Thanks.
I've been at the Huntsville Starbucks for the past two weeks and had the pleasure to meet with some nice people who were new to OC. That makes 3 meetings in a row counting my first meeting at the Starbucks in Madison. I plan on being at the Huntsville location unless someone wants to meet at a different location. If you need to meet quicker, I'm at www.alabamaopencarry.com more than on OCDO. I'm just Ranger over there since I had to take a different name to get posted here. I hope you will join us at AOC.

MSteve

Unfortunately, Larry's has a small parking lot so we may have to carpool.

If you drive around the left side (as you are looking at the building) and through the gate, they have a larger open lot-type parking area in the back. I shoot there regularly, and unless I get there right after they open, I usually end up out back.