• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brady Campaign is going NUTS on Starbucks!

DanM

Huck

imported post

Let the BB continue to make a stink about this. Let them be the ones who're demonstrating. Since Starbucks has made it clear about their policy and that they dont wish to be a focal point it just makes the bradys look bad, not that the bradys need any help in that area.

My suggestion is that OCers/CCers dont counter demonstrate. If you're going to be present when the BBs demonstrate just buy some coffee from Starbucks but otherwise keep a low profile and let the BBs look like the asses that they are. Laughing at them is optional. :D

Alexcabbie

imported post

The Bradyites are getting to be as annoying as PeTA. One bright spot is that we may soon see cute Holywood stars parading around nude carrying signs that say "I'd rather go naked than wear a gun!" That would get LOTS of people - carrying or no - into Starbucks. Vente double mocha wockawocka cappucino frappo and a floor show? YAY!!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

DanM

imported post

Huck wrote:
If you're going to be present when the BBs demonstrate just buy some coffee from Starbucks but otherwise keep a low profile and let the BBs look like the asses that they are. Laughing at them is optional.

A BIG +1!

Go to these Brady demonstrations, buy the BIGGEST cup of Starbucks coffee you can, and keep in view of any media cameras, sipping on your coffee.

JT

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
The Bradyites are getting to be as annoying as PeTA.
That is their sole purpose in life. They really ought to call themselves the Braying Campaign to Prevent Gun Ownership.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

They're throwing everything they've got into this. If they get Starbucks to cave, it's only the start. If they fail, I think they're pretty much done. They couldn't defeat the pro-freedom movement with laws and the constitution, this was the only way they really had left - their last gasp. Will be interesting.

Michigander

imported post

The late, great Tim Russert summed up the differences between anti and pro gun people when talking about the AWB renewal bill in 04. He said that "those in favor of this ban would prefer it be in place. Those who are against it are really against it, and will cross party lines to prevent it from passing".

That quote seems sort of off topic, but it really isn't. Aside from a few extreme anti gunners, anti's are not very dedicated to the cause. They also loose ground by the day because of the help of the web. Pro gun people are a much more dedicated group of people to try to befriend. I think Starbucks realized that, and that is why they have taken a pro or at least neutral stance.

On the other hand you have Peet's coffee, which of course banned carry at their stores, promting this Starbucks thing. For them, it may have been a good business decision. As far as I know, most of their stores are in urban California, which is to say the least deep in the heart of oppressed America and filled with a majority of hippies and other idiots who are completely content and happy with the fact they can't reasonably carry. Endorsing or allowing Kali style carry might piss off enough Pete's customers to cost a lot of money.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I like how the article author stated:
The Starbucks Coffee Company has become the subject of national media attention because some gun activists have decided to wear their guns openly, with loaded ammunition magazines close by, in Starbucks stores in California.

Taking careful note to say loaded ammunition magazines. I had to read it twice to be sure I did not misconstrue it as loaded weapons, which we all know by now is illegal in California. I'm sure some will read it and misconstrue it but it is a moot point considering, for example, here in North Carolina, we have no restrictions on mode of carry as long as the weapon is not being brandished in a threatening manner.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JT wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
That is their sole purpose in life. They really ought to call themselves the Braying Campaign to Prevent Gun Ownership.
:)

"The Brady Campaign to Support Murderers and Rapists" is more apt.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Don't rule out some idiot deciding - knowing damn well we are not going to draw down let alone fire for simple assault and battery - decide to eat a misdemeanor charge and start shoving a few OCers around, with the purpose of having the cameras capture an angry person with a gun or two. And if he makes someone feel they need to cover their firearm to prevent a snatching, bonus! then the right camera angle can make it look like the OCer is about to draw down on the putz. Even shoving back can look bad.

What would you do in that situation? The Bradyite loon is doig things that would justify a fist in the face, but not deadly force; but you are armed and the news cams are rolling.

One thing I can think of is if you are going as a group to where the Brady Bunch are making pests of themselves, bring along two "designated defenders" who are palpably NOT armed to take care of any of this type of tomfoolery.

Imagine that....Rosie has her phalanx of beefy gun toters, while OCers have to have unarmed bodyguards. Oh well. Upside-down cake goes pretty good with Starbucks.:banghead:

Deanimator

imported post

DanM wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-helmke/sorry-starbucks-you-are-i_b_487407.html

Paul Helmke:

Sorry, Starbucks: You Are In This Debate

". . . The gun extremist want an America where there are guns everywhere: not just in coffeehouses, but also in bars, churches, parks, banks and classrooms.

By capitulating to the gun extremists because they want this issue to "go away," Starbucks has made a hazardous mistake. . . ."
I can't remember the last time I was in a bank when I WASN'T carrying a gun since I got my Ohio CHL. I wonder if these drooling simpletons realize that in most places, carrying a gun in a bank is completely lawful.

Deanimator

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
What would you do in that situation? The Bradyite loon is doig things that would justify a fist in the face, but not deadly force; but you are armed and the news cams are rolling.
Gyakute nage. The ceilings in Starbucks and Caribou are way too high for the idiot's feet to scrape them on the way over, but it's still impressive. Whether he goes through the window or a table or just bounces off, the effect's the same. He'll wet himself the next time the thought of committing physical violence starts ricocheting around the confines of his empty skull.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
Gyakute nage. The ceilings in Starbucks and Caribou are way too high for the idiot's feet to scrape them on the way over, but it's still impressive. Whether he goes through the window or a table or just bounces off, the effect's the same. He'll wet himself the next time the thought of committing physical violence starts ricocheting around the confines of his empty skull.
Is that an Aikido term for, perhaps, "reverse wrist-lock throw"?

OC4me

imported post

I agree that this is a 'succeed' or 'die' last gasp for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Ownership (yes that is their name)!

StarBuck's "We followlocal law" policy is exactly the common sense policy that businesses should adopt everywhere, and because of the national news coverage, that very policy is getting press coverage whichhopefully will serve as a very nice precedent for other commercial entitiesto follow!

Deanimator

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
Is that an Aikido term for, perhaps, "reverse wrist-lock throw"?
Shorinji Kempo, but I wouldn't doubt that it's called the same thing in Aikido or Jiujitsu. When I was network administrator for a shady environmental company, an unstable Indian guy game at me with a document spike. A friend who was there says his feet scraped the ceiling of the construction trailer we were in. He never did THAT again.

Katate nage works well too. Hwarang Do uses a similar technique, the name of which escapes me. There's a reasonable chance that the guy would be conscious after a gyakute nage. The katate nage, not so much, especially if he came down on a table.

But as we grownups say, "actions have consequences", especially when your "action" is trying lay violent hands on me.

JT

imported post

Thereare just so many untruths in this article that it his hard to know where to begin.

Starbucks says it doesn't want to be embroiled in the gun laws debate. I don't blame them for wanting to avoid controversy -- but they can't be left out of it. By choosing to appease these gun rights demonstrators -- demonstrators whose antics make many gun owners in our country blush -- they have put the concerns of the rest of their customers aside. By allowing guns in its stores, the company is jeopardizing the safety of its customers and employees.

1. The only "demonstrators" are the Brady bunch. The armed patrons are just that...PAYING customers.

2. Gun owners aren't demanding anything. They are simply rewarding Starbucks for their stand with their patronage. It is the Brady bunch that is demanding that Starbucks appease them.

3. Oh right, the mere presence of a gun puts everyones safetyin jeopardy. That is why we hear of daily shootings in gun stores, at gun shows, in police stations, and everywhere else guns are present on a daily basis.:banghead:

ScottNH

imported post

JT wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:

I concur. In some ways I'm glad they've started this Starbucks Anti-OC campaign, as it really unmasks their true agenda.

They are not simply trying to keep illegal guns out of the hands of criminals. They are actively trying to constrain the gun-rights of law-abiding citizens. The thought of OC becoming "normalized" must scare the @#$% out of them.