• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in wal mart

tireguy43

imported post

I am new to open carry and was wondering what the policy was for open carry in places that have liquor license here in Wyoming or in Colorado i.e. wall mart, old c, or any other restaurant.

MatieA

imported post

tireguy43 wrote:
I am new to open carry and was wondering what the policy was for open carry in places that have liquor license here in Wyoming or in Colorado i.e. wall mart, old c, or any other restaurant.

There are 0 count them....0.... laws concerning open carry in the state of Wyoming.

Unless I am getting my mail from the Post Office, visiting the IRS office, or going upstairs in the county building, I am carrying (openly). I have renewed my drivers license, delivered Girl Scout cookies to the Highway Patrol (in their building), done shopping in jewelry stores and numerous other places while open carrying. (gasp) I even do my business at my local bank while carrying.

Stay out of federal offices and/or buildings, don't try to go upstairs in the County building, and don't visit the State Capitol armed and you'll be fine. The state capitol has a bulding policy that the officers at the door are to "hold" the weapon of any non-leo that enters. I prefer to leave mine in the vehicle than hand it to an officer.

My wireless keyboard is giving me fits today and not typing everything I press, so please excuse any typo's

Majorpain

imported post

Wall mart should be no problem restaurant and a bar no problem. If you absolutely wanted to though you can still openly carry into a bar so long as there is no sign saying no firearms or of course if you are asked to leave. It would not be a good idea to drink while carrying I have sat in a couple of bars just visiting with friends not drinking with no problems. As far as concealed carry with permit so long as the place you are carrying into is not mainly for consumption of alcohol you will be fine. Correct me if im wrong I don't drink so never really looked into that aspect of it.

MichaelWDean

imported post

I have open carried at the Casper WalMarts (both of them) at least 50 times, never had any problem.

I've also open carried at the WalMart in Buffalo, no problem.

I've open carried all over Wyoming. No problem, ever. Had one lady who mad dogged me and clutched her child as I smiled and held the door for her. Was at a rest stop, she was a tourist from out of state.

MWD

OpenCarry-003-183x300.jpg

OpenCarry-001-225x300.jpg

Mjolnir

imported post

Buffalo has a Wallmart??

Been a long time since I stayed at the Occidental hotel need to go back one of these days.

Mjolnir

imported post

Was open carrying a hard chromed 1911 in a Blade Tech holster at Ft Phill Kearny and was told by a staff person to remove myself and the pistol from the state park as guns are not allowed.

Was also told at the wagon box battle site that guns are scary and nobody should be allowed to carry them if you are not police and that I was scaring several people and to please leave the gun in the car.

MamaLiberty

imported post

Regardless of which state you live in or visit, respect for private property should be automatic. If a business is posted "no guns" (and I've never seen such a sign in Wyoming) the only proper thing to do is not enter.

You might send a note to the business manager or owner and tell them why you will no longer be shopping with them... but it is counterproductive to argue with anyone about it.

Same if you are asked to leave in the absence of a sign. Just leave. If you so choose, you can disarm and return, but I wouldn't dream of that myself. If my gun is not welcome, neither am I.

Mjolnir

imported post

I have seen no gun signs in Laramie, Cheyenne and Cody with Cheyenne having the majority of them. the mall in cheyenne is posted in small letters but not at all the entrances as is a pawn shop of some kind on Logan and a couple other smaller shops.

My carry permit is honored in Wyoming so I carry concealed any more as it is easier and nobody knows unless they end up looking down the muzzle

We have purchased land to build a retirement hobby ranch in the cheyenne area and as soon as I retire we will be moving but sad to say that will not be for a few years. however, just owning land in wyoming with nothing on it but a well and power is a good feeling.

MamaLiberty

imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
I have seen no gun signs in Laramie, Cheyenne and Cody with Cheyenne having the majority of them. the mall in cheyenne is posted in small letters but not at all the entrances as is a pawn shop of some kind on Logan and a couple other smaller shops.
That's too bad. I'd heard that the SE part of the state was getting to be too much like Colorado... SAD

Come on up to the wild and free NE corner. None of those pesky signs up here. :) And nobody's going to pay the least attention to anyone who OCs... well, except for an occasional tourist. They just tend to get a bit bug eyed sometimes. :what:

Mjolnir

imported post

seems like every time we are in cheyenne the town is more "cittyfied" but both the wife and I are disabled military and go to the VA for health care plus the wife loves big cities and is a city girl so living near cheyenne we have better access to denver while still living in wyoming.

MamaLiberty

imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
seems like every time we are in cheyenne the town is more "cittyfied" but both the wife and I are disabled military and go to the VA for health care plus the wife loves big cities and is a city girl so living near cheyenne we have better access to denver while still living in wyoming.
Well, we each have our priorities. :) But we also have a Veteran's clinic here, and access to the VA hospital in Hot Springs, SD. I'm a navy widow. :) Can't do much for the city gal, however. Too bad. :)

SkunkApe

imported post

Last time I went to Rocky Mountain Discount Sports in Casper, they had a sign posted on the entrance door..

"Absolutely No Loaded Guns Allowed" or something similar.

This was maybe four weekd ago.

MamaLiberty

imported post

That's too bad. You made sure the manager understood exactly why you would not be back to spend your money until that changed... You did do that, didn't you?

And told all your friends...

SkunkApe

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
That's too bad. You made sure the manager understood exactly why you would not be back to spend your money until that changed... You did do that, didn't you?

And told all your friends...
No, MamaLiberty, I'm afraid I didn't.

I just ignored it. Sometimes I'm just too tired to argue.

I did, however, tell all my friends. Unfortunately, most of my friends are imaginary. Good listeners, though. For the most part.

MamaLiberty

imported post

SkunkApe wrote:
No, MamaLiberty, I'm afraid I didn't.

I just ignored it. Sometimes I'm just too tired to argue.

I did, however, tell all my friends. Unfortunately, most of my friends are imaginary. Good listeners, though. For the most part.
Well, sounds like it was resolved nicely without needing that tactic. I do understand getting tired. I've been an activist for more than 40 years and there are times when I just want to say to hell with it all. Just never lasts long. ;)

My "imaginary friends" are all plants or animals, actually. They listen well, but aren't too active in the liberty or OC movements. LOL

bobcat

imported post

Visits to Laramie in Feb and Mar. OC in Feb was limited to jumping out of the car while fueling, otherwise it was a bit c-o-l-d to OC... so CC due to gobs of layers.;)

March was a different story. Hit the warm spell the third week so I just layered up and left the coat in the car.:cool: OC'd at Safeway a couple of times, Kmart, numerous fuel stops, laundromat (nice conversation with owner), Super 8 (Cheyenne), XC skiing at various Forest Circus locations, a couple of restaurants... no issues what so ever. Not a peep from anyone.