• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cuccinelli asks colleges to rescind policies protecting gay state employees

Repeater

imported post

The Washington Post has obtained the AG opinion.

The opinion seems well written and well reasoned. The opinion makes clear that various Virginia universities have exceeded their authority, contravening the express policy preference of the Virginia General Assembly.

So, why can't the opinion reasoning be used as leverage to end gun bans on campus?

TFred

imported post

Repeater wrote:

The opinion seems well written and well reasoned. The opinion makes clear that various Virginia universities have exceeded their authority, contravening the express policy preference of the Virginia General Assembly.

So, why can't the opinion reasoning be used as leverage to end gun bans on campus?
Top of that letter (which is not an official AG opinion) clearly states "Attorney-Client privileged communication". As the lawyer for the Commonwealth of Virginia, I suppose the AG is well within his rights to have such privileged communication.

However, yet once again, the liberals see fit to break rules to further their agenda.

TFred

Repeater

imported post

TFred wrote:
Repeater wrote:

Top of that letter (which is not an official AG opinion) clearly states "Attorney-Client privileged communication". As the lawyer for the Commonwealth of Virginia, I suppose the AG is well within his rights to have such privileged communication.

However, yet once again, the liberals see fit to break rules to further their agenda.

TFred
You noticed that. Indeed, the leak itself is newsworthy.

But what's interesting is that this does not appear to be an advisory opinion, written at the request of someone who is authorized to make such a request.

Instead, it seems the Attorney General acted on his own accord to advise all taxpayer supported institutions to obey the law.

That's significant, because it means he could do the same regarding campus gun-free policies, which have the opposite effect of discriminating against gun owners.

As we would expect, the so-called Progressives have reacted viciously by condemning the letter. Even Bob Holsworth, who is usually fair, has been gratuitously critical. No one seems willing to disagree with the Attorney General's interpretation of the law. Specifically, no one on the Left seems willing to admit that these colleges have exceeded their authority. Instead, they're angry that Cuccinelli actually said something about it -- and worse, it actually trying to do something about it.

Basically, for the Left, the ends justify the means. And that includes gun-free zones.

Repeater

imported post

There has been a tremendous reaction to the Attorney General's letter.

For example, there was a protest rally at VCU.

VCU insists it does not discriminate:
In an interview, VCU Rector Anne G. "Panny" Rhodes said she will be talking to all the board members and would not be surprised if there is unanimous agreement to support the policy as it now stands.

"I am so hugely disappointed in this action," she said of the Cuccinelli opinion. "We simply do not discriminate, period."
But, as we all know, VCU in fact does discriminate -- against gun owners. This is a great opportunity for Virginia gun owners to leverage VCU's outrage over the letter and remind them that they are not tolerant or inclusive.

If the univerisities are opposed to discrimination, then they need to abolish all of their 'No Weapons' policies.

Otherwise, they are a bunch of hypocrites.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

I actually read a comment on www.wavy.com (the local NBC affiliate here in Hampton Roads) that some genius thought the letter meant VA's public colleges MUST discriminate...all the letter says is they have exceeded their authority and his advice, as their (the Commonwealth's) lawyer, is to remove the policy.

TFred

imported post

I get so irritated with the liberal mindset, I avoid interaction on this issue.

Cuccinelli is the state's lawyer. He saw an area where state entities had exposed themselves to litigation. He advised them to correct that exposure. He would be derelict in his duties to not advise them of an exposure that he was aware of.

That is the end of the story.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TFred wrote:

Cuccinelli is the state's lawyer. He saw an area where state entities had exposed themselves to litigation. He advised them to correct that exposure. He would be derelict in his duties to not advise them of an exposure that he was aware of.

TFred
So too do they have "exposure" with regards to their No Guns policies/rules. :?

Yata hey

Repeater

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred

Yata hey
Well, if SCOTUS rules in McDonald that the Second Amendment applies to the states, then indeed yes.

TFred

imported post

Repeater wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred

Yata hey
Well, if SCOTUS rules in McDonald that the Second Amendment applies to the states, then indeed yes.
The Virginia Constitution already tells us what McDonald will soon tell the rest of the country. So how will that have any effect on our local indiscretions, already well entrenched in spite of our own Constitution?

Section 13. Militia; standing armies; military subordinate to civil power.

That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.
TFred

richarcm

imported post

TFred wrote:
Repeater wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred

Yata hey
The Virginia Constitution already tells us what McDonald will soon tell the rest of the country. So how will that have any effect on our local indiscretions, already well entrenched in spite of our own Constitution?

Section 13. Militia; standing armies; military subordinate to civil power.

That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.
TFred
Yes but part of the question is how does that interact with the 10th amendment/state's rights. In part I hope that the McDonald case is lost because if it is won on behalf of gun owners the ruling of the case can be used AGAINST us in agendas that have nothing to do with guns. It gives too much power to the federal government. If the case is won on behalf of gun owners....I wonder if an alternative motive may exist that allowed for the victory.

But that being the case I too think that Cuccinelli did what was right. Because, again, there must exist enforced separation of powers. Public colleges can not circumvent the state government. They are secondary in power to the general assembly.

Repeater

imported post

richarcm wrote:
Yes but part of the question is how does that interact with the 10th amendment/state's rights. In part I hope that the McDonald case is lost because if it is won on behalf of gun owners the ruling of the case can be used AGAINST us in agendas that have nothing to do with guns. It gives too much power to the federal government. If the case is won on behalf of gun owners....I wonder if an alternative motive may exist that allowed for the victory.

But that being the case I too think that Cuccinelli did what was right. Because, again, there must exist enforced separation of powers. Public colleges can not circumvent the state government. They are secondary in power to the general assembly.
Cuccinelli is a real threat to the Leftists, so they are really beating up on him. Their latest accusation is that Ken's a Birther.

At least he makes McDonnell look a like a Moderate:
For Virginia’s new governor, Bob McDonnell, his fellow Republican Ken Cuccinelli is looking like the gift that keeps on giving.

Cuccinelli, as he has made extravagantly clear before and since taking office in January, has an activist agenda that includes waging war on federal initiatives he considers too liberal (such as health care) and bashing gays whenever he gets the chance. He’s said that in contrast to previous attorneys general (such as McDonnell), he has no intention of ever running for governor and would be happy to remain as the state’s top lawyer for multiple terms. In other words, he’s realistic enough to know that his rigid ideology won’t play on a bigger stage.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Repeater wrote:
richarcm wrote:

Cuccinelli is a real threat to the Leftists, so they are really beating up on him. Their latest accusation is that Ken's a Birther.

For Virginia’s new governor, Bob McDonnell, his fellow Republican Ken Cuccinelli is looking like the gift that keeps on giving.

Cuccinelli, as he has made extravagantly clear before and since taking office in January, has an activist agenda that includes waging war on federal initiatives he considers too liberal (such as health care) and bashing gays whenever he gets the chance. He’s said that in contrast to previous attorneys general (such as McDonnell), he has no intention of ever running for governor and would be happy to remain as the state’s top lawyer for multiple terms. In other words, he’s realistic enough to know that his rigid ideology won’t play on a bigger stage.
This has shaken the tree a little early. I'm a die hard Cuccinelli fan and support his letter 100%.

McDonnell is another matter. His Executive order is a direct contradiction to an opinion he wrote during his term as AG. That causes me a great deal of concern since the biggest argument in our favor with VDOF, is a McDonnell AG opinion.

The Donkey

imported post

TFred wrote:

TFred

Ha! Cooch is a precocious loudmouth who can't help but spew his "legal opinion" on any hot button issue he knows of, from climate change -- to discrimination -- to the President's birthplace.

So recently elected, he is already a laughing-stock, and he is dragging the Commonwealth with him. And when called on his unnecessary gobbledegook, he hides behind the excuse of "legal analysis."

I think -- givenCooch's prediliction for legal Tomfoolerly -- we probably could get a favorableopinion out of him on open carryon campuses.

And with that, politically, set the case for Open Carry state-wide way back . . . .

richarcm

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Repeater wrote:
richarcm wrote:

This has shaken the tree a little early. I'm a die hard Cuccinelli fan and support his letter 100%.

McDonnell is another matter. His Executive order is a direct contradiction to an opinion he wrote during his term as AG. That causes me a great deal of concern since the biggest argument in our favor with VDOF, is a McDonnell AG opinion.
I do as well. There's really not any intellectual reason not to support it.

hunter45

imported post

The Donkey wrote:
Ha! Cooch is a precocious loudmouth who can't help but spew his "legal opinion" on any hot button issue he knows of, from climate change -- to discrimination -- to the President's birthplace.

So recently elected, he is already a laughing-stock, and he is dragging the Commonwealth with him. And when called on his unnecessary gobbledegook, he hides behind the excuse of "legal analysis."

I think -- given Cooch's prediliction for legal Tomfoolerly -- we probably could get a favorable opinion out of him on open carry on campuses. 

And with that, politically, set the case for Open Carry state-wide way back . . . .  

Your username fits you well. You sound like a jackass.

richarcm

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
The Donkey wrote:

I think -- givenCooch's prediliction for legal Tomfoolerly -- we probably could get a favorableopinion out of him on open carryon campuses.

Its meant to suck you in. Just ignore him. He may not go away, but at least he won't get the attention he craves.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

richarcm wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
The Donkey wrote:

Its meant to suck you in. Just ignore him. He may not go away, but at least he won't get the attention he craves.
Exactly! Mom will make him do his homework soon.

The Donkey

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
The Donkey wrote:

Guilty as charged! Now perhaps you have something substantive to say. . .

The Donkey

imported post

peter nap wrote:
richarcm wrote:
The Donkey wrote:

. . . .
Possibly a good tactic for dealing withhim. . .But alas,the Cooch is not so easily ignored!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The Donkey wrote:
peter nap wrote:
richarcm wrote:
The Donkey wrote:

. . . .
Possibly a good tactic for dealing withhim. . .But alas,the Cooch is not so easily ignored!
:lol: