• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has anyone applied for a temp permit in Avon?

JohnGalt

imported post

I recently applied in Avon and am curious if anyone can comment on their turn-around time. It has been 5 weeks and I haven't heard a peep.

felixanguis

imported post

Any update on your Avon application? Every person in the department who I have spoken to has been very nice and kind but no one who can comment on my status has answered or returned a call.

The application also said that the $50 check would be returned to me with the decision and it would cover the cost of the permanent permit (assuming I receive a temporary permit). Somehow, DPS cashed that check 5 weeks ago and claimed on the phone that all payments are non-refundable so I am definitely never seeing that money again.

zipsil

imported post

can you tell me about submitting your application?, I have tried to call det Barrow over and over and she never returns my calls as well. I was gonna give it one more try and then just send it to the Chief certified mail.

I had to take a break trying as my birth certificate just came back today from my passport app.

I got my application in april and had it ready to go but I could never get an "appointment" to submit it...who did you give yours too?

I had pretty much gave up and went to the DPS for an eligibility certificate, because I couldn't get in to see anyone for fingerprints and backround check. I am ready to submit again.

also did they require the 3 letters of recommendation?

as I am sure others here will tell you if its been over 8 weeks you can file an appeal with the state board of firearms permit examiners.

Thanks and good luck

gluegun

imported post

felixanguis wrote:
Any update on your Avon application? Every person in the department who I have spoken to has been very nice and kind but no one who can comment on my status has answered or returned a call.

The application also said that the $50 check would be returned to me with the decision and it would cover the cost of the permanent permit (assuming I receive a temporary permit). Somehow, DPS cashed that check 5 weeks ago and claimed on the phone that all payments are non-refundable so I am definitely never seeing that money again.

I'm a little confused by your statement. You say you were expecting to get the $50 check back from the town? This is not the case. The $50 check is given to DPS to pay the cost of running the state background check.

The instructions that DPS offers for the pistol permit process that are horribly out of date state that you submit both $70 checks to the town and you receive the $70 made out to DPS with your temporary permit. This is maybe where the confusion came from.

I would suggest that you call DPS and demand to know the status of your background check. You paid for it and they are obligated to give you the services you paid for.

I highly recommend checking the thread I posted earlier. It contains relavent DPS and FBI telephone numbers for checking the status of your background check.

felixanguis

imported post

zipsil wrote:
can you tell me about submitting your application?, I have tried to call det Barrow over and over and she never returns my calls as well. I was gonna give it one more try and then just send it to the Chief certified mail.

Det. Barrow is supposed to be the primary contact but in months of phone calls and voice mails, she has never answered her phone or returned a call. I would call dispatch at 860-409-4200 and tell them you want to schedule an appointment and have not been able to reach anyone.

Since Avon requires an interview when you turn in your application, don't mail it in; they won't honor it. Besides, Avon PD's union just had a vote of no confidence with regards to the chief. That speaks volumes as to what is happening behind closed doors down there.

Keep calling and good luck!

zipsil

imported post

I will try to call dispatch one more time.

The board of state firearms permit examiners recently ruled that towns are not able to request anything above what is required by CT law,as 3 letters are not required, I would also venture to guess that a "meeting" with the police is not part of the requirements of getting a pistol permit in the statutes. I am paraphrasing and not a lawyer and I will stand corrected if I am wrong about this.

And right, doing this would get me absolutely no were as far as getting my permit processed/approved and just plain tick off the people who have the control.

After my experience so far, would I rather follow the rules, make an appointment, wait months and months and hope that they finally give it to me or would I rather send it in wait 8 weeks and appeal to the BFPE? I know that the board is backed up with cases till 2011 so which wait is less?

I applied for an eligibility certificate with DPS which should be here soon but I would still like to be able to go to the range if I choose.

I am aware of the problems the Chief and his dept are having, but as far as the state is concerned the Chief is still the "issuing authority" and an application that is sent certified mail has been received and accepted by the PD when they sign the return recipt as others on this forum have suggested it to me.

thanks

Thanks

zipsil

I dropped my permit application off August 16th after all my numerous efforts to get an appointment, I guess they will only give you an appointment after you submit your application despite what the letter they give you with the app says.

On September 1st I got a call from the detective assigned to do my interview and set up a time to meet today.

He asked me my marital status,if I have kids, if I have been arrested, if I have mental illness, if I drank, and if I did drugs. When I submitted my app I included copies of the DPS fingerprint cards, and canceled checks from DPS for the background check and fingerprinting as well as a copy of my EC, he returned all of this to me with my birth certificate and NRA certificate.

He took my fingerprints again, with the ink even though they have the ink less digital workstation there to do it. I asked him why they had to take the prints again, because I had them taken for the EC and DPS has them already. He told me that because they collect a fee for it they have to actually take the prints. They updated their database with my personal info and took my photograph.

He asked me where I intended on carrying my firearm.

We talked local ranges a bit and thru ought the process he was professional and friendly.

I asked how long it would take to get the temp permit and he told me he had no idea and the whole process was in the hands of DPS.

I am aware of how much this process differs from what the statutes require and I am just posting this for the next person that comes a long trying to get a Pistol Permit in Avon Ct.

Thanks
Jon

KIX

I had the same issues in Middletown.

keep on it, keep a record of all your dates.

They do have an idea of how long it takes, they have 8 weeks to get the paperwork processed. There is a caveat for the time it takes for background checks (I believe) but the turnaround is rather quick from the feds now.

At the end of the 8 weeks, I'd make an inquiry if you haven't heard from them.

I got the runaround then and had to contact the BFPE in Hartford.

I was approved two weeks later.

It pays to know what your rights are in the matter.

Good luck.

Jonathan