Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Bay and other NE WI OC friendly municipalities

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar

Post imported post

Now that the weather is warm, I expect that more people will be out and about Openly Carrying their firearms. In case anyone who is visiting our site has not heard about the successful Open Carry picnic we had last year on Green Bay, I want to remind everyone that Green Bay is Open Carry "friendly".

On May 18th 2009, Green Bay Police Chief Arts sent a memo to all Green Bay officers which all officers had to read and their supervisors were to document this. It reminded them that Open Carry is legal with the exclusions such as a public building, school zone, in a vehicle, a handgun where alcohol is served and consumed (class B) and that municipalities may not have ordinances which are not similar to and no more restrictive than State Statutes etc. He reminded them that the act of Openly Carrying a firearm is not disorderly conduct unless there is other conduct which is disorderly.

Ashwaubenon and De Pere both became Open Carry friendly in 2009 when the Ordinances prohibiting Open Carry were taken off of the books.

So far as I know, Luxemburg still has an ordinance prohibiting Open Carry

Oconto Falls has no Ordinances prohibiting it but most of theCity is a Gun Free School Zone because of where the school premises is located and public sidewalks are necessary to enter most businesses. The exceptions being the grocery store,hardware store and a couple others on the North side of town.

Currently BrownCounty and Oconto County prohibit Open Carry in County Parks. We will be addressing that very soon and are optomistic that these Ordinances will be struck down.

Post imported post

maybe this year we can get together at Bay Beach here in Green Bay for a Picnic / Social.....of course this would not be an "organized event " .. just a few of us getting together....maybe this Summer sometime...
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

Here is the GB memo

Post imported post

Page 2

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

"The mere fact that a citizen is openly carrying a firearm is not disorderly conduct

(Wis. Stats. 947.01) without other evidence to support the charge. At the same time,

police officers always have the right to stop and question an individual and ask to

examine the individual's identification as long as the officer does not convey the

message that compliance to his questions is mandatory. If an officer notices a person

openly carrying a firearm, that officer should approach the person with the idea of

asking questions and receiving voluntary answers. The officer should continue the

conversation until he or she believes there is no reason for alarm. If the officer is

satisfied that no criminal activity has happened or will happen, the conversation

should end. Refusal to answer questions about carrying a firearm, in some contexts,

could be reasonable suspicion to temporarily detain the person and demand a name,

address and explanation. Take note of the person's mannerisms, tone of voice,

demeanor and other indicators; the important thing to remember is that the officer

must articulate why he or she suspects the person may be up to something illegal in

order to detain the person and demand answers."

Copied by hand from an image thus any errors in transcription are mine alone.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

After reading that letter from the G-B chief, itdoes not really make it sound like they are all too"Open-Carry Friendly",

it reads like the chief is saying:
    "We G-B cops must tolerate open-carry under state law, but make sure you find anything you can to turn it into a detainment and subsequent arrest with disorderly conduct charges being used"

Banned

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    After reading that letter from the G-B chief, itdoes not really make it sound like they are all too"Open-Carry Friendly",

"We G-B cops must tolerate open-carry under state law, but make sure you find anything you can to turn it into a detainment and subsequent arrest with disorderly conduct charges being used"

+1000

Post imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
    Nutczak wrote:

+1000
    -1.2MM

More like "OC is fine but if someone is beingotherwise disorderly or acting otherwise in an alarming manor, you can investigate further.." :?

Banned

Post imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
    J.Gleason wrote:
    Nutczak wrote:

+1000
    -1.2MM

More like "OC is fine but if someone is beingotherwise disorderly or acting otherwise in an alarming manor, you can investigate further.." :?

This is the part you left out:

and make up anything you need to arrest the individual so we can set an example for all the rest of the Open Carry scum bags that are flooding my city and taking away all of our glory. we are the only ones who should be able to carry guns and be able to defend ourselves from the rest of this peon society. Now bring me my coffee and donuts. Where is my news paper?

Post imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

and make up anything you need to arrest the individual so we can set an example for all the rest of the Open Carry scum bags that are flooding my city and taking away all of our glory. we are the only ones who should be able to carry guns and be able to defend ourselves from the rest of this peon society.
    Absolute fabricated conjecture as you have no first hand case of this happening to an Open Carrier in Green Bay (false unjustified charges). This is probably the best memo we have seen so far. It is in line 100% with the AG memo.

Banned

Post imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

and make up anything you need to arrest the individual so we can set an example for all the rest of the Open Carry scum bags that are flooding my city and taking away all of our glory. we are the only ones who should be able to carry guns and be able to defend ourselves from the rest of this peon society.
    Absolute fabricated conjecture as you have no first hand case of this happening to an Open Carrier in Green Bay (false unjustified charges). This is probably the best memo we have seen so far. It is in line 100% with the AG memo.
    You sure have some awesome dreams.

Post imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
    J.Gleason wrote:

Says the man with no basis in reality for his conjecture.....

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Refusal to answer questions about carrying a firearm, in some contexts, could be reasonable suspicion to temporarily detain the person and demand a name, address and explanation. Take note of the person's mannerisms, tone of voice,demeanor and other indicators;
    the important thing to remember is that the officer must articulate why he or she suspects the person may be up to something illegal in order to detain the person and demand answers."
    What about the above quoted paragraph in boldsounds friendly to you?
    The letter simply reiterates the laws, and goes on to show them a way to legally detain a person that is doing nothing more than exercising their rights.
    Why even approach a person doing nothing wrong, to make sure they are not a felon? Do they use that excuse to stop everyone driving a car too, "you were stopped to make sure you have a valid drivers license"

here is what I would expect to see in a report of why they arrested someone peacefully walking down the sidewalkwith a pistol on their hip:
    "We detained and subsequently arrested the individual because he was acting nervous, and I did not like the tone of his voice as 4 other officers and myself approached him with our weapons drawn while yelling at him and commanding him to lay on the ground with his arms outstretched"
    Yeah, your tone of voice may sound differentif you have cops harassing you for exercising your rights!
    Mine would have a tone which would be recognized as agitated, very agitated!

Banned

Post imported post

I_K is an eager and happy statist, erect for his leader's healthcare victory.

Post imported post

The statement is the equivalent of:

In some contexts could be justification to demand that the person identify themselves.

It says nothing about demanding ID. It says nothing about proning the person out. You are grasping at straws and objecting to nothing.....:?

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Use your head and you will give them no reason to suspect you of being an ax murderer..

Post imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    Says the man who is content withWashington island's preempted prohibition of Open Carry....

Banned

Post imported post

Says the man who is content withWashington island's preempted prohibition of Open Carry....
    Prohibited for you because my 'state' is tiny and incompetent. That hardly makes me a statist. And you do not know my state of mind.

Post imported post

That hardly makes me a statist. And you do not know my state of mind.
    Says the man who arrogantly and most vainly presumes to know the state of mind of others.....

Doug, you are truly a master of ASSumptions.... You would do well to accept the still open invitation for adult conversation over the beverage of your choice.....

Post imported post

That hardly makes me a statist. And you do not know my state of mind.
    Says the man who arrogantly and most vainly presumes to know the state of mind of others.....

Doug, you are truly a master of ASSumptions.... You would do well to accept the still open invitation for adult conversation over the beverage of your choice.....
    Can I come too ? I will bring a large bottle of Bombay Sapphire for Dougy. He likes the sauce...
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

Glock34 wrote:
    Can I come too ? I will bring a large bottle of Bombay Sapphire for Dougy.
    Sorry mang...I am not kidding...... :?

Banned

Post imported post

Well, if $100/gallon Sapphire is "the sauce" then maybe I can be bribed with a dram of Jura or Glen'. But even that is out weighed by the hypothetical company.

Post imported post

Well, if $100/gallon Sapphire is "the sauce" then maybe I can be bribed with a dram of Jura or Glen'. But even that is out weighed by the hypothetical company.
    the man likes very aged single malt, maybe there is hope.

Post imported post

Glock34 wrote:
    Can I come too ? I will bring a large bottle of Bombay Sapphire for Dougy.
    Sorry mang...I am not kidding...... :?
    I was being sarcastic, Interceptor I would not sit down and drink with Doug for nothing. Your far more of a gentlemen & forgiving than I.

Banned

Post imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
    J.Gleason wrote:

Says the man with no basis in reality for his conjecture.....
    Well, outside the fact that I have been dealing with some legal beagle stuff this past week and have really gotten a front row view as to just how assanine the police can be. I am very confident in my conjecture.

Until you can prove me wrong there is no argument.

Prove me wrong. Strap up, holster up and carry on all over Green Bay and lets see the outcome. I don't mean just go to a few stores or restaurants. I mean go to places where you know for a fact that police officers frequent and lets see if they don't stop you, question you and try to find some way they can't arrest you for something.

If you don't get stopped or questioned by an officer or at least have one of them make an attempt, I would be highly surprised.

I don't know what your relation to LEO is but for some reason you seem to think you are above being stopped or questioned and any time someone suggests that this may happen you are quick to defend LEO.

It must be nice to have some type of inside connection and know you will never have any issues. Good for you.

But don't sugar coat anything for any of the newbies here. They all need to know the truth and that is the police are not your friends. they do not get paid to be your friend. In fact you might be lucky if you get a decent response or reception from one of them should you be open carrying. And that is because you are bursting their bubble. Taking away their glory. Stomping on their ego.

They are suppose to be the only ones to carry a firearm for self defense. Just ask them they will tell you.

Now lets look at reality. Don't talk to cops. In case you for get that I will say it again. Don't talk to cops.

I don't care what memo is put out. It doesn't mean that every officer will abide by it. they do not all abide by the AG memo and that holds more weight than the chiefs memo.

I use to think there was some way that we could all work together and educate the cops and the general public. We might be able to do something with the public but the cops have to big of egos to learn anything from us.

Just carry on and enjoy you rights but don't think for a minute that the cops are going to do you any favors. Might actually mean they would have to admit we were right about something.

Post imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
    I don't mean just go to a few stores or restaurants. I mean go to places where you know for a fact that police officers frequent and lets see if they don't stop you, question you and try to find some way they can't arrest you for something.

If you don't get stopped or questioned by an officer or at least have one of them make an attempt, I would be highly surprised.

I don't know what your relation to LEO is but for some reason you seem to think you are above being stopped or questioned and any time someone suggests that this may happen you are quick to defend LEO.

It must be nice to have some type of inside connection and know you will never have any issues. Good for you.

But don't sugar coat anything for any of the newbies here. .
    Who's sugar coating anything. I have no issue with being stopped, questioned and even (GASP!) showing them my ID.....

I would prefer that they know my name and face. It makes things easier... Not all of us are bent on having an adversarial relationship with the local police departments.

My best observation for the newbies is to not play stupid games to win stupid prizes... Act like a jerk, expect to be treated like a jerk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast